Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hub help
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I want some forks for my new build but I'm reluctant to get anything other than standard Q/R because that will mean 3 bikes with 3 different hub/fork arrangements (I have DUC 32s on my full susser as well as a standard Q/R).

Are there any 15mm/20mm bolt-thru' hubs that can quickly and easily be converted to standard Q/R? It's for those "my wheel is buckled I'll take one from the other bike" moments.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hope springe to mind – fornt hubs can be converted within 1 minute – rear converted prob about 5-10 mins but certainly not quick for the rear – nothing else springs to mind 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The rear is not an issue.

Are they 20mm adapters or do they do a few?

julianwilson
    Free Member

superstar hubs also convert quickly, as do expensive specialized/roval ones nowadays. Not sure if they still make them like that but you used to be able to easily swap atomlab 20mm hubs back to qr, and Halo spin doctors can go between 9 and 20mm too, (don't know about 15mm though) (I think they may be veeery similar to superstar ones come to think of it!)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK, so now I know I can do it, does anyone fancy convincing me that I "need" bolt thru' rather than just getting a standard Q/R and less faff?

Scout
    Free Member

Depends on what sort of riding you are doing, how you ride and your weight. If you are caning it down rough fast tracks, and taking big hits then a 15mm/20mm bolt thru axle will offer much more security for the front wheel. Unless you are like this or really really heavy then a standard quick release 9mm axle will see you safe.

🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cheers Scout.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hub help’ is closed to new replies.