As always when I shop for stuff, it gets complicated with hundreds of options and nothing quite fits what I want, at least without being stupidly expensive. I can spend weeks trying to decide
So, hubs needed to the following requirements -
* 15mm front axle
* Rear QR 9
* 6 bolt disc
* *quiet* ! So no Hope, or anything near as noisy as Hope
* Steel freehub, or alloy with steel protective insert things (no, I'm not binning barely used cassettes to swap to XT to prevent eating swiss cheese casssettes).
* Decent engagement / pick up (moving from my old cheap Formula based wheels, a key thing I want is better pick up as it's slow and then has an annoying metallic loud 'clunk' before it engages).
* Reliably and easy to service / good reputation.
* Can be laced up to some Arch EX rims
Had a short list but there are issues with them all...
DT Swiss 350 - 18 points of engagement but "upgradable" to 36. Is 18 a problem? Reviews say slow pick up. Alloy freehub. Quiet though.
Stans 3.30 - Alloy freehub. Medium level of noise apparently.
American Classic 130 & 225 - Quieter and rear has the steel insert things which is nice, but reviews say it has very slow pick up and various reliability issues, along with issues getting parts etc, so gone off these now.
I'd consider Chris King if it wasn't for the insane price and that they're apparently very noisy also.
Loads of other choices and reviewing more at the moment, though more limited by who offers what at various wheel builders. Unless I just buy the parts and find a bearded wizard to put it all together.
Any decent stuff recommended that fits the above?
What's Novatec stuff like? I see they have those steel insert things also. Noisy though? quick engagement? and who would do a build with Stans rims?