• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • hub advice please
  • mmb
    Free Member

my rear hub is **** but the rim is good, to replace the wheel my lbs wants £150 for an xt rear hub with stainless spokes and a xc717 rim, however crc have an xt rear hub for £35, would it be ok to use the existing rim and spokes and build them onto a new hub to save cash?.

mattstreet

If the rim's still good, yeah, re-use it.

You could re-use the spokes, but it's better to go for new. You may need a different length anyway.

mmb
    Free Member

thanks a lot dude, just need to price up the spokes then before i make a decision.

dale
    Free Member

if the spokes are clean and you can remove them, there is no need to replace them

coatesy
    Free Member

What hub have you got? If it's a similar Shimano type eg 6 bolt, then your old spokes will swap straight over(just make sure they go in the same orientation). New ones are always a good idea, but using undamaged old ones shouldn't cause any problems.

mmb
    Free Member

The spokes look ok, nice and clean no rust etc,it's just that i need to save cash at the mo and £35 for a new silver xt rear hub is a good price!.have never built a wheel tho but it's about time i learnt. the hub being replaced is a hope xc which just keeps breaking so i need a tougher one, tried to use the spoke calculator on dtswiss.com but couldn't make sense of it?.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you re-use the spokes as coatesy says you will be fine – many lbs won't want to though as it takes ages.

The existing spoke length will be fine (long story).

Be aware of the need to maintian shimano hubs.

mmb
    Free Member

i don't mind the maintenance it's the cost of constantly replacing **** cartridge bearings and snapped aluminium axles that's too much, the xt has cup and cone cheap and easy bearings with a steel axle, it's going to prove cheaper and more reliable in the end i believe.
    ps if i took out a spoke and measured it where would i need to take the measurement from?.

njee20
    Free Member

Is your current hub an XT one? If so you can just transplant all the bits from an identical donor hub and save having to build anything up.

Shimano reckon you can't change the 'cup', but you can, and it's really quite easy!

igm

Can you undo the nipples? If so old spokes probably OK – if not I see expense ahead.

uplink
    Free Member

You say your current hub is a Hope XC & you want to replace it with an XT?

If that's the case – it may not be so simple
    If you're lucky, the spoke lengths will be similar enough but I wouldn't bank on it

Give Hope a ring & ask them for advice on your current hub & rebuild costs

cynic-al
    Free Member

The spoke length will not be significantly different.

You need the flange diameter to change by 10mm for a 1mm change in spoke length.

mmb
    Free Member

i don't want to rebuid the hope hub(again) cos it just keeps breaking and i've had enough, the xt hub is stronger and more serviceable also more reliable.problem is i can't find out what spoke length i need to make the change.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Look at my post above.

mmb
    Free Member

i did see that, not sure i understand why tho! is it cos the radius change is half the diameter change and therefore the spoke hole distance(pitch centre diameter) not being at the outer edge of the flange is even less?.

bruneep

Why not get the Hope hub rebuilt?
    easy peasy to do yourself.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=3:wheels&id=5:hope-xc-rear-hub-service&Itemid=9

Got to be cheaper than a new hub, spokes and rebuild of wheel.

I would rather have a Hope hub over a XT.

mmb
    Free Member

bruneep, i know how to do it, just that i don't want to spend any more money on a hub that keeps breaking!

bruneep

why does it break? I've 3 never broke any.

nickc

I'm not sure that an XT hub is any " stronger" than a Hope XC. I'd be interested why yours keeps breaking

mmb
    Free Member

the aluminium axle is not strong enough for me i'm over 18st and go down hills fast,the bearings cannot take it either but the xt uses a steel axle and replacing the bearings is a lot cheaper, my lbs charges £15 each plus fitting and there are four in a hope xc hub,we're down to one wage now and i just can't afford it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

get a steel axle, learn to change the bearings yourself – it is easy and get decent quality bearings that last. Ask the shop what type of bearings they fit.

Dancake
    Free Member

Are you using QR? I dont know what bike you have, but a conversion to a nice solid 12mm bolt thru may be what you are after? (can you get a conversion kit for the xc?) It may be also worth sourcing some good quality bearings yourself

This is what I have done on my Meta. It was 10mm QR with an XT hub. Trouble is, I was repeatedly re-adjusting the cones as they kept coming undone (even at silly levels of tightness ) My prob is down to the twisting action of the swingarm I think (others have had the same prob I believe due unequal length arms or some such thing)

As for the wheel, I bought a hub and had a go myself. The spokes swapped over ok and it was quite a good result for a first time. I used Sheldon Brow's guide

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP – it's because the spokes leave the flange almost at a tangent. Trigonometry and all.

mmb
    Free Member

update: i've turned a new axle using stainless steel,it's in and looking good,have found a bearing supplier through workplace a lot cheaper by the look of it! all i need is to find pawls and pawl springs.

igm

Good man mmb. Now sart selling thm as Hope upgrades to suppliment the wage.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘hub advice please’ is closed to new replies.