• This topic has 279 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)
  • HTN 4
  • banks
    Free Member

I had pink shorts on, shouldn’t forget me too easy…

I took a lot of effort not to ‘slip’ & whip them all out, regret it now

xherbivorex
    Free Member

some nobber on a cx bike yelled at me and junkyard around by the pond too (“i thought it was a race, not a **** sunday afternoon joyride”).
    i’d have forgotten it but it’s sad to see that more than just us got some grief off “fast lads” today, kind of puts a bit of a downer on what was an amazing morning for me (set myself a target of hopefully doing 2 laps, ended up doing 3, yay!)

if you’re reading this, fast lad, sorry i can’t keep up with race pace; i’ll try to go back 9 years and not have heart failure and then maybe you won’t have to be a dick to me today, eh?

richpips
    Free Member

banks – Member

I had pink shorts on, shouldn’t forget me too easy…

After I’d taken the cow onesie, you were next.

mintimperial

Was it just one idiot on a CX bike? Just out of the water crossing I heard some arse shouting to a fellow competitor “Get out of the fu#king way!”

I thought it was only nice people that entered HTN….

Yeah, that’s where I saw a wannabe hard-man acting like a prize turd too. He’d shouldered his CXer to cross, and some poor lass who was halfway down into the stream got walloped round the head by this git’s back wheel after she didn’t immediately leap out of his way when he bellowed “MOVE!” at her. ****.

I may have got this wrong, but I was under the impression that HTN is a mixed-ability, mixed-sex race that’s meant to be a bit of fun, and not the World CX champs. If you want to get all elbows-out get fast enough to enter a proper men’s Elite level thing. If you’re not fast enough to do that, STFU and learn some manners.

[Edit: this looks a bit negative, sorry. It was one tiny little blip in an otherwise excellent morning with loads of really nice friendly people. I had a really good time, honest!]

vickypea
    Free Member

Shame about the obnoxious minority- surely if you don’t want to be ‘held up’ by other riders being too slow, don’t enter a race that welcomes everyone!
    Makes me giggle when people shout ‘rider’, as though the people they’re overtaking aren’t riders themselves!

vickypea
    Free Member

mintimperial- my thoughts exactly, but you worded it better!

hallz
    Free Member

Haha when we were leaving the event and heading back up to the rugby club i shouted “on your right” to a couple of people pushing their bikes. I was just so thrilled to finally overtake someone… 😳

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

rider 31 on CX bike, if you are on here, I draw your attention to the following rule:

“Any part of the cycle course may be covered on foot but on these occasions the competitors must carry or push their own bike, walking to one side of the path”

So thanks for the push off into the rocks on the water feature, I now have a nice dent in my frame.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

for a bit of balance though, the CXer who followed me through the water splash bit on my last lap was very encouraging and his “well done mate” made me actually want to ride faster.

it was probably 99% of the riders who were ace today, maybe 3 or 4 mouthy bellends. sod em, i’m over it!

bones76
    Free Member

I totally understand that HTN has a reputation for a friendly event/race and most people are easy going, but come on guys please get real, when you have the likes of Nick Craig there and other top riders who are there to win/do there best for what ever reason is it any wonder that people get frustrated when less able riders happen to get in the way, i.e around the water crossing for example, some people knew as they were approaching that certain section they were unable to ride it, so why not dismount somewhere safe for everyone and then the guys that can ride it can get on so that everyone gets out of the event what they want, we all get frustrated at times and people put a lot of effort in and sometimes get caught up in the heat of the moment, i.e strong words etc, but all in all most bikers i come across are fairly decent people…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Big respect to Jase and Andrew for putting this on every year. Lives/jobs/families/riding to attend to and all that.

Just before the mayor did her speach, the heal of her shoe sunk into the mud and with her next step it was just tights on mud. 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

Why didn’t anyone say anything to people being gobby? I last rode in 2011 and finished in the top quarter of the field (I believe that there are more fast guys nowadays?) The few riders that lapped me….ie the top 3 finishers were all really polite and extended the same courtesy to those that I passed. I’ve tended to find that real wannabes that finish around where I did, but had real dillusions of granduer were generally the worst manners wise. People should definitely tell these people in no uncertain terms what morons they are. It’s racing round the outskirts of Manchester ffs….it’s not really that important!! I realise that this comes across as a little internet tough guy, but I’m just speaking from experience. HtN was always an incredibly friendly and fun event, with none of the type of behaviour described above.

EDIT: Bones, maybe because everyone paid the same entry fee. You mention Nick Craig…..I wonder if he was shouting abuse at people holding him up? Now I wasn’t there, but at a guess he was probably encouraging everyone that he passed (like he did when he passed me at warp speed in some race or other a few years back) whilst being 10 times the rider all the gobby gits can ever dream of.

bones76
    Free Member

It was a great day and look forward HTN 5…Please let it be on??!!

vickypea
    Free Member

Well Nick Craig managed to win without being obnoxious 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s where I saw a wannabe hard-man acting like a prize turd too. He’d shouldered his CXer to cross, and some poor lass who was halfway down into the stream got walloped round the head by this git’s back wheel after she didn’t immediately leap out of his way when he bellowed “MOVE!” at her. ****.

I was there at this bit of the race. I recall the chap as I had a chat with him in the top car park before hand. I’ll try and pick him out of the pics later

fozzyuk

Great day out in cracking weather. As for the elites every one who over took me, and there were many, were total gents. Which does suggest there was at most one or two Nobbers.

It must be sad to not enjoy an event as good as that

nbt

Just to throw in another point of view – you may not be racing, but some people are. If you’re not racing that’s not a problem, but please be aware of those behind you and don’t block them

Be excellent to each other

fozzyuk

Ps when are the results out I want to know how badly I did!

bones76
    Free Member

I guess its now a witch hunt for this bloke..WTF..why do i bother with this site

Its a Event/race FFS, things happen, its not like anyone has been murdered!!

And well done Nick Craig for not just being a great cyclist but a nice guy too!!!

vickypea
    Free Member

Believe me, even those of us who only managed 4 laps were still racing. I was going as hard as I could and wanted to better my position in previous years. I moved over to let the fast guys past but I’m b*ggered if I’m actually going to come to a stop and stand there like an idiot letting everyone past and putting my own time back by 10 minutes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just to throw in another point of view – you may not be racing, but some people are. If you’re not racing that’s not a problem, but please be aware of those behind you and don’t block them

This x100.
    Some people (usually who hav’nt raced cx) seem to get upset about people shouting ‘rider’ (I have been on the receiving end of some almighty bollixings for NOT shouting).It is actually the courteous thing to do,to let them know you are there.However there are also people who shout ‘rider’ and expect the person in front to immediately move out of their way.
    It’s pretty simple manners (unless you are actually racing for a position in which case elbows/handbags/squaring corners and block passes are part of the fun).
    I may have been a little ‘supercross’ once or twice 😳
    But I told em I was coming first :mrgreen:

fozzyuk

Are the results normally the same day?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+1 for Rorschachs comment.

Becoming more relaxed about the shouting comes with more racing but the knobber you all describe will probably be shouting ‘STRAVA!’ Tomorrow as he nails a segment.

A knob, is a knob, is a knob, don’t let it put you off.

nikxl
    Free Member

Got to agree with that, what should people do when they are racing sit behind lapped riders until they get caught by someone they have spent an hour trying to distance, shove past or try and give some warning? If I recall its refered to as a “race” on the website, as MTB endurance competetive on BC and people have as much right to race as they do to plod round chatting. Or stand in a group of about 8 at the bottom of the run/scramble up before starting I
    There’s no excuse for abusing people but when you are racing sometimes you don’t think what you say I always try and thank people who move but sometimes I forget because I’m trying as hard as I can to do the best I can when I pin a number on.

So if you didn’t like getting a shout when I was closing fast or saying on your left or right then I’m genuinely sorry but I paid the same as you and wanted to race as per the description of the event.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve been racing for 3 or 4 years and I find that ‘on your right/left’ to be much more useful to overtaker and overtakee than ‘Rider’!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Are the results normally the same day?

a day or 2 for the results.

I’m not quite sure how many laps I did. Finished, walked to the car after about ~10 mins then saw the leaders going through. So whats that…4?

nikxl
    Free Member

I’ve been racing for 25 and the more warning you can give the better, I’ve never been offended by someone giving me notice of lapping me no matter what they say as long as its not abusive.

mintimperial

It’s one thing to shout “rider”, it’s quite another to yell “MOVE” and then batter a competitor with your bike as you barge past, which is what I saw happen.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I wasn’t having a pop at people calling for an overtake….I used to always do that…and call a side! I’m having an internet rage at the knob abusing people! 8)

nikxl
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that count as abusive? Still a witch hunt is hardly any better is it, I’m sure he would have apologised if he could have after, he probably feels a bit of a tit for it

Rorschach
    Free Member

“I’ve been racing for 3 or 4 years and I find that ‘on your right/left’ to be much more useful to overtaker and overtakee than ‘Rider’!”

If I had a pound for everytime I’ve been hit by someone swerving the wrong way I’d be a rich man.When the brain is starved of oxygen right/left are some what interchangable.At events with ‘mixed’ ability it’s always safer to let the lead rider decide when and where it’s safe to overtake.
    (Usually not down wet slabbed rocks into a stream btw!)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have absolutely no issue with people letting me know they’re coming up behind faster than me and would like to be past, but as others have said (and this “getting caught up in the moment is NO EXCUSE) there is no need at all to be abusive.

all but 1 of the people who passed me in such circumstances today were fine, let me know they were behind so i moved out of the way as soon as i could, and all was well.

but they guy that gave johnnie and i some stick did not let us know he was behind until he was right on our wheels, and was just rude instead of shouting the usual “rider” or “on your right” or whatever.

i appreciate that plenty of people were racing for a place today. that’s fine. still no need to be rude and/or abusive to other entrants in the event. simple as that.

i’m forgetting about this now.

vickypea
    Free Member

Flippin’ eck! I never said I was offended or bothered about people shouting ‘rider’. I said it makes me giggle, as it is less useful than ‘on your right’, which then informs me which side to shift over to, in order to let them past.

sturmey
    Free Member

When I very rarely get the opportunity to pass people I get so giddy I forget which is left and right sorry to those people I confused today 😀

mintimperial

a witch hunt is hardly any better is it

Quite. I couldn’t identify the guy anyway, and the other rider seemed ok afterwards, pretty sure she beat me – she was definitely racing! I only offered it up as a comment because I saw others saying they saw similar things going on, and because I’ve never seen anyone be that rude to a lapped rider before now.

Whatever, I’m off to bed.

MrSparkle

Lets concentrate on what a great event it was. Bollocks to the haterz, feel the love. HtN 4 Eva. Or something…

chrismanc
    Free Member

Great morning!

First race and loved it, the course, Marshalls, encouragement, everything. Course was cracking a bit of everything. I also back there’s a couple cheeky @#£%% though tbh, but nevermind them.

Had a right laff, Don’t have to mention mud was on another level.

Good job to the organisers!! Will be back for more in 2014!

banks
    Free Member

After I’d taken the cow onesie, you were next.

Took your time 😀

fozzyuk

I’ll be back too. If I do one event next year it will be htn

bearnecessities

I wish I had joined, I’d never even heard of it until a few weeks ago.

Someone mentioned on another thread that balloons were released at the start by a couple of riders (for Bruders338); don’t suppose anyone had a pic of these?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘HTN 4’ is closed to new replies.