Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • HTII BB recommendations…
  • vinnyeh

What are the alternatives to Shimano?
    I’ve alway been an advocate of cheap and cheerful Shimano, but I’ve now gone through two new sets ( 1 xBB51, 1XBB70 this winter, wondering about trying something else. Or have I just been unlucky (no pressure washing)?
    Think I’ve seen somewhere about them being user serviceable- anyone know the details?

porter_jamie

hope stainless here. been in for maybe 2 years, still nice and smooth

neilforrow

Cheep’ xtr ones from rose bikes for 16£ or get a set of enduro bearings from betd and service your old cups. You can get 3 xtr s for the price of the hope.

z1ppy

You can get 3 xtr s for the price of the hope.

+1, shimano have been reliable enough for me

Northwind

I can’t tell any difference in use between XT and XTR- they’re slightly different in construction, not convinced it matters. BB51 isn’t as well sealed though. So, rather than XTRs from Rose, I’d go with XTs personally.

Alternatively, Gusset’s EXT24 is great- the one in my Hemlock’s just packed in but I fitted it in August 2010 and it’s been used for hundreds of rides since in all conditions.

(won’t touch enduro bearings again, they weren’t much cheaper than a new BB and they lasted far less well, terrible vfm)

coatesy
    Free Member

Also, make sure you don’t overdo the pre-load on the cranks, no matter what BB you have, it won’t last long if you’ve preloaded the bearings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘HTII BB recommendations…’ is closed to new replies.