Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • HTC One X – phone upgrade content.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup thanks for the advice though too much of a Thickie adder 😉 so dilemma now Samsung S2, One S or One X? Poll time…..

crush83
    Free Member

one x all the way.

Haze

It will probably be the One-X for me.

The S looks like it’ll be more than capable but I won’t stop thinking I’m missing out on something…

Baldysquirt

Cougar, yes I have lived with a faulty handset for about 18 months now as Virgin refused to do anything but send it back to their central tech. As it’s sporadic I’ve never been able to recreate it in the shop, but it always happens within about an hour later. Admittedly, I did manage about 6 months in the middle with no issues what so ever. Having been on various forums it seems I’m not the only one (by a very long way) and people who have gone down the send back route have had the same problem within hours of getting the phone back. I didn’t see the point of losing my business phone for an unknown period of time just to have it returned with the same fault. I deal with it – it’s frustrating at times, but others I hardly notice it.

Cougar

I suppose you have your reasons, but if you’ve made the decision not to allow a repair to be carried out, that’s hardly the fault of either Virgin or HTC.

I don’t really follow your “being without a business phone” argument, I’m afraid. Aside from the fact that most people have a drawer full of post-upgrade phones these days, Virgin are obliged to provide you with a replacement whilst it’s away. If it was business critical that I had a phone and there were no other alternative, I’d take the hit on buying a cheap handset to tide me over whilst it was away; surely that that’s a better option than having an unreliable work phone?

I take your point about actually getting it fixed. HTC will most likely need to replicate the fault and, speaking as a techie, intermittent faults are a bloody nightmare. After three months ownership of a device costing several hundred pounds though, I’d be expecting a replacement handset. It’s an inherent fault.

julians
    Free Member

Of those three (one X, One S, or S2) I’d go for the One X without a doubt.

Go for S2 (or preferably S3) if you need a micro SD slot, go for One S if you value its smaller size and better battery life.

breadcrumb

My OH has a One S, she loves it. IMO the One X is more phone than most people need, it is nice though.

My Desire is due upgrade soon, but for the first time in my mobile phone life I’m not looking to upgrade, it serves me well! Might look into getting rooted though, I’d have a crack myself but I think it’s over my head!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Anyone having signal problems with their One S? I have one on Talkmobile and it has trouble getting a signal in places where coverage should be fine. Phone & sim have both been replaced but the problem is still there.

freddyg
    Free Member

That’s interesting Breadcrumb. My HTC Desire was up for upgrade back in March and, like you, I haven’t done it. The Desire is a great phone and does everything I want it to do. The low memory warning is annoying and I might have a look at a ROM if I decide not to upgrade.

Looking at the One X though, it’s tempting. I’d need to find a decent deal though. I pay £18 for mine: 500 mins, unlimited SMS (WTF for?? I only send about 145 a month!) and 500Mb data.

More data would be good – I’d gladly trade fewer mins/SMS for that.

redwoods
    Free Member

Have you been into a shop and physically held a One-X in your hand Munqe-chick? There’s seemingly a lot of bright and shiny nice bells and whistles attached to the One-X but ultimately I still want my phone to be phone-sized and not some almost-a-tablet-sized monstrosity. Mostly it’ll be in a handbag but there’s also many times (walking the dog over muddy fields on a daily basis) when I’ll just want to stick it in my pocket.

So although I initially dismissed it (hey I’m a girl, we change our minds) I’m kind of coming back to the idea of a One S.
    The 16GB SD card I’ve currently got on my Desire still has just over 7GB free on it, so shouldn’t find the 16GB memory with the S too problematic, even after taking into consideration its probably only nearer about 9GB, once you’ve accounted for all the on-board software and apps etc pinching some of that.

So in answer to your poll – out of those three, personally I think I’d be leaning towards the S. Whether I can negotiate a reasonable deal with Vodafone for it remains to be seen though – I think it has a lot to do with how long you hold out…

But if size weren’t an issue then I guess the X would be the forerunner.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Freddyg where is that deal?? Mmmmm may have to take another trip into a phone shop just to make sure I am happy with size but I always have a bag/rucksack. Oh the dilemma of it 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

baldy, have you been able to update the software on your desire? Only asking as I have a Desire S which crashed pretty much every day from new. All the web searching suggested it was a hardware fault and very common. I had planned to send it back whilst we were on an exotic trip (where I wouldnt be taking it). Just before the trip I checked for updates and the phone updated to android 2.3.5. That was in January. Its been completely stable since.

And MC I think Freddy means he pays £18 for his current Desire…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thickie adder 😉

freddyg
    Free Member

Hi MC – yup as CTM said, the £18 is for my current deal. If I could stay on the same deal but with a cash contribution to the handset (like when I got my current Desire), I’d be happy.

redwoods
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to know what results people get from haggling – the very cheapest I can find with roughly the same tariff is £26pcm for a free One S with Orange (400mins, unlimited texts, 250mb data) with £35 cashback (woopdydoo) which is about a fiver more than I pay a month now but with only half the data allowance I’ve currently got.

To keep my current 500MB data allowance and have either a One-X or a One-S I seem to be looking at nearer £31pcm.

Like you Freddy I’d rather pay a bit for the phone than be looking at paying an extra couple hundred quid in line rental over two years.

Urgh. I hate phone renewal time almost as much as car insurance renewal. I think if contracts were still only 12 months in duration (ah, the good old days) then I wouldn’t be so fussed but being stuck with the thing for 2 years, I really don’t want to end up with a dud.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

My one x will be going back tomorrow as the GPS issue I’ve been having is definitely a fault with the phone. I tried endomondo and it was no different, it’ll even do its own little journey at varying speeds if you start recording a track with it left out on the patio table without even moving it 😯

My old Desire was accurate at any distance to all my mates iPhones and bike computers so I took both phones out on the Quantocks the other night and recorded the ride using sportstracker on both phone’s. It ended up being about 13 miles with 1900 ft of climbing and a top speed of 27 mph. According to the one x it was 14 miles, 8500 ft of climbing, and a top speed of 76 mph!

saladdodger
    Free Member

mark I would keep the X as it is if that was me just to make me feel good 😉

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The stats did look quite impressive!

Took it back to the carphone warehouse yesterday. The guy in the shop went outside with it, saw the problem with the GPS jumping around all over the place whilst stationary and swapped it for a brand new phone there and then. The new one works fine so must have just been unlucky with the first one. That was the first one the shop had back with GPS problems and they’d only had a couple others back with screen problems so they can’t be that bad.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Can’t complin with that, nice service! The One X deal I was looking at has now gone, probably going to be an S3 now instead as can get that cheaper.

winrya
    Free Member

I was an iphone man since the original and getting bored of the 4s i went into a phone shop to look at the s2 which seems to win all the awards (a few months back). Guy in shop showed me the one x and i was sold.

Lived with it for a couple of weeks and hated it. Battery was woeful if you used the screen at anything above 33% brightness. Suffered loads of drain from the os which didn’t appear until the 3rd update in the 2 weeks.

Build quality was woeful, they cannot build them properly. Dead pixels, dust under screens, yellow glue patches, inconsistent gaps around the display, battery problems, screen bleeding under pressure, faults go on and on. There is a huge thread on xda forum titled the returns and repairs thread and there are a number of people who’ve had to have 8 replacements to get a perfect phone.

I sold mine and went back to the 4S scared off android by the whole experience. Luckily I had the opportunity to buy a brand new s2 for a cheap price and I have to say I absolutely adore it. Much better battery, the amoled screen is an absolute joy, 4.3″ for me is the perfect screen size, 3.5 too small and 4.7 too large. I’m running a 64gb micro sd card in it so have almost 80gb of storage, you can buy and extended battery pack and its a much nicer looking phone than the one x and the s3 IMO.

I sold the 4s within 2 days of getting the s2 btw I was so sold on it and after another month or so of use I’d be surprised if the iPhone 5 has me opening my wallet.

PS download swift key 3 and the typing is as good as the iPhone. Pretty woeful until i found that fix

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Samsung S3? I think that’s whta I’m edging towards now. Also anyone have any experience of Dialaphone? That’s who the best deal is with, I see they got bought out by Phones for U, when I do some googling for reviews as a company it’s completely hit and miss either brilliant or appalling, one site gave them 6.6 out of 10. I guess I’m just dubious as I’ve never bought a phone contract via the internet, but their deal is WAY better than the usual O2, carphone warehouse or what my current company will do.

IanW
    Free Member

Ive had a One x for about 6 months now, got it on a short contract post several iPhones.

Hardware is OK volume buttons too discrete when you want to press them but too easy to press when you don’t. Screen is very good, get mx player and load up some movies, presently have series one and two of boardwalk empire, a few westerns and the godfather trilogy all play really well.

Problem is though the software for the day to day stuff, because you end up choosing the best notes software and browser etc its all separate and doesn’t since together as well as IOS.

Summary- Nice screen but I would rather have iPhone software.

IanW
    Free Member

Incidentally… they do encourage you to use a lot of power so I bought one of these..

Batteries

which has the same inputs/outputs as exposure lights so works as back up for both my lights, GPS and phone.

oscarlee
    Free Member

i m on my 4th htc one x this has to be the most horrid phone i have had to live with when it comes to gps not one of them has been acurate, i would not recommend this phone if you want gps , i use the gps every day from apps like strava, back country nav, maverick, endomundo, do not trust this phone as a gps for navigation off road i was out 8 hours and gps just gave up with 70% battery left and then decided it was nt going to work again, but i have to say all other features are fantastic screen size is awesome , shocking hardware gps chip tho shame would of been a great phone,

deviant
    Free Member

All phone models have problems, google problems with iphone, HTC One series, Galaxy etc etc and you will get pages of results….more often than not the first issue of a new line is the batch with problems which are usually fixed with either software updates or hardware replacement, this is not an Android vs Apple thing….both parties have shipped duff products in the past.
    With millions of these devices selling there will be some problems and its the problems people tend to post about.

For balance i’ve had an HTC Hero, HTC Desire HD, Nexus-S and an HTC One-S with no problems….and yet a mate returned his Desire HD almost immediately as not being fit for purpose and went back to his Blackberry!….now there’s a phone i cant get along with, had one as a work phone and could never get it to do anything, ended up using my own phone instead.

julians
    Free Member

For a bit of balance to counter the chap above with gps issues.

My one x has been fine for gps, locks on in seconds and is as accurate as any other gps ive used. Iuse it with strava, google maps, navionics, cardiotrainer, google earth. Ive no complaints, its an awesome phone

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘HTC One X – phone upgrade content.’ is closed to new replies.