Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HTC One S – Niggling issues and that..
  • kayak23

So I just upgraded from an HTC Desire HD to an HTC One S, the slightly smaller but still big brother of the One-series, and I’ve had it for two days.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZDOhdKQF5k[/video]

I am having a few issues with it and was wondering if anyone else had similar issues with either the same phone or perhaps with Ice-Cream-Sandwhich generally.

So;

Dolphin HD, my browser of choice really doesn’t seem to work very well on it. When watching Youtube videos in particular on full-screen, as you start watching the ‘timeline’ slider fades out, then JUMPS back, then fades, then JUMPS back, jerk, jerk, jerk…..stutter, stutter….Rubbish. On the stock browser they seem ok. On my Desire HD, hitting a video made it pop nicely into full screen, it doesn’t here, you have to start playing, then select full screen, then the video stops to jump into full screen, then starts again…

The stock browser crashes now and again, just finishes and goes back to home screen.

The ‘autofit’ of web pages seems really, really bad on a lot of sites. It seems to struggle particularly with Dirt Magazines site. The site seems to appear as a narrow strip on the left of screen. Double tapping it will bring it forward. But then, the videos don’t much seem to want to play and are incredibly laggy and stuttered.

Swype, my keyboard of choice will not work. It says the screen size is wrong..(I’ve looked this up and seems to be an issue with some ICS handsets) HTC use a mock-Swype of their own but its not up to the same standard.

All the problems I am having appear to be web-based. All the other functions of the handset seem to work fairly well.
    The screen isn’t as nice as my Desire HD seemingly as you pinch and zoom and its momentarily blurred before re-focusing.

The camera itself is awesome….thats the best bit probably.

Has anyone else had any experience of this handset in particular or any experience of issues with Ice-Cream-Sandwhich-based handsets at all?
    Cheers.

Crell
    Free Member

Thanks for the post. I have a DHD and was considering the same upgrade – Battery life was the winner over the X for me, and the camera is my one real gripe against the DHD.

I’d read about a problem with the buttons which could be HW related, but not the issues above.

Surely the screen is a lot better than the DHD once it’s rendered the image or vid?

kayak23

The screen is amazing for photos and stuff but it just seems a little pixellated when general browsing in direct comparison to the DHD.

Camera is amazing, the rapid fire feature is awesome, as is the taking pictures while shooting video feature.

The battery life is much better than my DHD which now sometimes doesn’t last until 6 O’clock if I actually use the thing.

Its just these little, well actually, quite big issues for me as I watch a lot of MTB videos on Dirt etc.

Also, it would seem that you cannot use the Swype keyboard on this device so far. You get an error message about it being the wrong screen size or something but hopefully this is something they are working on and until then the stock Swype-copy by HTC will have to do.

Been on the phone with Orange for an hour this morning with a couple of factory resets etc but the browser still is crashing now and again and the Dirt website in particular seems to render randomly, but mostly its shoved into a narrow strip on the left side of the screen.

Orange are replacing the handset for me at the weekend so we’ll see.
    I intend to give it some heavy use before my 14 day grace period is up so that I can send it back if no good.

Anyone else having any issues on Ice Cream Sandwhich or in particular a One-S?

rocket
    Free Member

Received my one s yesterday. Loved it but has wifi connection issues – drops randomly, and much worse wi-fi reception than my desire. Seems a common problem on one s and x – google htc one wifi issues. Bit gutted as overall I think its a lovely phone but its going to have to go back.

PrinceJohn

I’ve had very few issues with mine. I also use dolphin hd, but watching you tube through the you tube app

Free Member

I’ve had a couple of HTC phones now and have found them to be absolutely terrible I’m afraid, both have crashed repeatedly and had very annoying issues.

Free Member

sorry DP

kayak23

Received my one s yesterday. Loved it but has wifi connection issues – drops randomly, and much worse wi-fi reception than my desire. Seems a common problem on one s and x – google htc one wifi issues. Bit gutted as overall I think its a lovely phone but its going to have to go back.

It seems to be overwhelmingly the One-X that folk are complaining of wifi issues with, perhaps caused by a ‘deathgrip’ much like the antenna problems with iphone 4.

Found a few mentions of it on the One-S but there seems to be an easy fix in your settings and an update from HTC to fix it on the way.

Rocket and PrinceJohn, would you mind at some point trying to check out the Dirt Magazine website, and seeing if it loads up alright on the page or if its squashed to one side, and also if the videos are proportioned correctly. Mine seems to either squash everything to the left side and/or make the video preview boxes short and stumpy instead of the widescreen-type ratio… 😕

VanMan
    Free Member

Not got the HTC, but do use ICS without those problems. Stock browser is generally crap. As for the YouTube videos, do they work ok from the YouTube app?

kayak23

Yeah they seem ok from the Youtube app..

Cougar

WRT browsers,

The ROM I’ve got on my Sensation comes with a browser called Maxthon Mobile. I’d never heard of it before and haven’t really used it in anger, but it seems pretty slick on first impressions. Might be worth a look if anyone’s looking for an alternative.

PrinceJohn

Kayak, I had a nose on the Dirt website earlier seemed fine as far as I can tell….

kayak23

Thanks prince john…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HTC One S – Niggling issues and that..’ is closed to new replies.