Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HTC one S
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Following on from recent phone threads, does anyone suffer from a low signal on a One S on talkmobile (piggybacked off Vodafone) -I get a very weak or no signal in areas where the coverage chart indicates good signal. I was out on a ride the other night for instance, my mate had full vodafone coverage on his i.phone, I had no signal at all. I have found I am without a signal more often than I would expect. Neither Talkmobile, CPW or HTC can throw any light on this. Phone & SIM have both been replaced. previously with T.Mobile and never had this amount of problems with them.

redwoods
    Free Member

You do not seem to be alone….

I received delivery of a One S yesterday from Vodafone – lovely phone but still trying to figure out whether it works as it should, signal wise. Played around with a few settings as mentioned on that thread (and another thread it links to) and I’m trying to figure out whether it’s as good as I got on my Desire previously. Was out with the dog earlier and walking down a farm track – one second I had 5 bars and the next step I had none then two steps later had 5 bars again. Has yet to be tested properly outside the house and in the Peaks though. Real shame if it has to go back because I don’t want an iPhone and I don’t want anything like the humungazoid SIII either…!

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve got this phone on 3, no problems with the signal for me so far.

stumpy01

On the whole, is it any good? Looking to upgrade in the near future & think it will be either the HTC One X/S or Sony Xperia S.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have been looking at the vodafone forums and can’t make out what the problem is . If I put the sim in another phone it seems to give similar performance so could be a network issue. Trouble is I have it on a cracking deal at £16 a month with unlimited internet so am very reluctant to jack it in – the tariff doesn’t even cover the phone cost. Other side of the coin is that if it has poor performance then its a waste of time. Overall though a much better phone than my old Desire-great size & nice large screen.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Vodabone need a royal kick in the a$$ when it concerns actual basic consumer needs like signal, free to contact an operator to discuss bill etc.

If you really want to kick off in the owner of Vodabone’s face then get yourself down to his Devonshire castle and burn the fooker down.

That would make my day.

Plus they really should not delete a customer’s number after 90 days of not topping up with £100’s worth of credit ffs!

SHAME ON YOU VODAPHONE!
    Robbing CHUNTS

spooky_b329

My wife just got a Desire S on T Mobile. It is sitting on the table with two bars of signal, my two year old Desire on T Mobile is 30cm away and has five bars.

Could it be something as simple as the new phones prioritising battery life over reception?

redwoods
    Free Member

Well I’ve decided to keep mine after all.

Have made several phone calls now in various different locations and never really dropped out once or gone crackly. In fact when I was out with the dog over the fields where I’ve previously hit real network black spots with my old Desire, the One S was solid all the way round.

So, touch wood, so far so good.

I did however follow the bit of techy advice I saw on the VF forum, which is supposed to adjust the threshold at which your phone switches between 2G and 3G. Not sure if that’s made a difference but I know it didn’t seem to be working very well before.

Oh and Stumpy, I think it’s a lovely phone – didn’t want anything as gargantuan as the One X and thought the Sony Experia looked a bit square and brick like for my tastes (and I’ve heard Sony are a bit rubbish at updates – they’re only just now talking about rolling out ICS to their handsets just as everyone else is talking about rolling out Jellybean!).
    I was a bit concerned about there only being 16GB of onboard storage with this phone (which is nearer the 9.9GB mark after you’ve accounted for what it needs itself to run) but I’ve loaded on all my music (about 1000 tracks) and apps etc and still have nearly 5GB to play with, which is ample.
    Guess it depends what you primarily want in a phone but for my needs, this One (see what I did there) seems great.

stumpy01

redwoods – cool, ta.

spooky_b329 – pretty sure the Desire S is renowned for poor signal compared the Desire. I considered getting one as an upgrade as the only thing I don’t like about the Desire is the memory thing (that is solved with the DesireS).
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that the aerial of the DesireS is part of the lower bit of the phone & you can lose signal frequently.

spooky_b329

Stumpy…I had the same memory issues…two or three large apps and its stuffed.

I eventually bit the bullet and rooted my phone. Best thing I ever did. Using the dGB rom but missing the Sense ‘look’ and its a little too stripped out so going to try a different one soon.

stumpy01

spooky_b329 – Member
    I eventually bit the bullet and rooted my phone. Best thing I ever did. Using the dGB rom but missing the Sense ‘look’ and its a little too stripped out so going to try a different one soon.

I have considered doing that, but can’t really be bothered. My phone contract is overdue an upgrade, so I’m gonna go for that.
    Looking on ebay, 2nd hand Desires still seem to be getting a fair amount of cash, so I think I will stick mine on there.

kayak23

Htc One S is a nice phone. I have it on Orange.
    The battery life is soooooo much better than my old Desire HD.
    GPS signal is good, picks up fast.
    Never had any reception problems…

deviant
    Free Member

Yeah battery life is superb on mine too, easily 24 hrs between charges…i remember the pre release specs getting a kicking on tech websites for having a ‘small’ non removable battery….HTC played a blinder though by sticking in an ultra efficient Qualcomm 28nm chipset that barely uses any battery, still a step ahead of the 32nm quad core devices that followed it….got a feeling Apple will be doing the same thing with the iphone-5, not joining the quad core bandwagon but instead sticking with dual core and going for ultra efficient, i’m sure i read somewhere that Intel have a 22nm chip ready to go but Samsung supply Apple’s chips and Samsung’s Exynos chips arent that efficient yet…32nm i think at best?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HTC one S’ is closed to new replies.