Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • HTC One, or Sony Xperia Z1….
  • For daughter?

I think she likes the look of the Xperia, I’m guessing the HTC is slightly better?

Is there much to choose between the two? Finally managed to convince her that Android is much better suited to her needs than iOs.

It’s 100% between these two, so please no iPhone comments, or other Android suggestions.

Ta

spidersexual
    Free Member

From what I have seen of those new sony xperias, they are pants replaced with an htc one mini was a lucky move.

1 thing I noticed was how easy it is to listen to other peoples conversations with them using the htc one perhaps due to the twin speaker loudness and it wasn’t even on loudspeaker.

Personally I use an iphone 5 which coming from an hd desire is much of an improvement on battery longevity.
    Android batteries seem to get canned and don’t even go near samsung galaxy crap as they are all doomed handsets with batteries dying soon and loads of glitches.

The audio on the htc one is fantastic if too quiet but that’s what bluetooth speakers are for.

Apartfrom that the htc one mini has a clinical appearance for software.

Hthelps

JPR
    Free Member

Z1 is an awesome phone – typing this on one. I had exactly the same decision to make a couple of months ago. Went for the z1 based on battery life and it being waterproof.

smaca
    Free Member

My Z1 is coming today.

If I was going SIM free I probably would have got a Nexus 5, but Voda don’t offer it on our contract.

HTC One was marginally cheaper, but bigger battery and waterproofing swung it for me to go for the Z1.

I used to be an iPhone fan, but iOS7 crippled my old 4, so I’m voting with my wallet.

My kids have both got Blackberry Z10s. It’s the fashionable handset to have according to them 😕

wwaswas

I’ve been really pleased with my Sony Z1. Got it as an iPhone replacement. I don’t think I’d go back.

It is a fairly big form factor once you have a bumper on it, though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Sony Z1 is the better phone specs wise, latest processor, possibly better camera – though up for debate, waterproof

HTC One is much nicer as an object better screen? better sound, more feminine. I’d go for the HTC

ktaylor
    Free Member

I have just the Xperia Z. Kids play with it in the bath! I think the camera is better than the HTC as well.

mogrim

I’ve got the Xperia Z (not the Z1). Nice phone, my only real complaint is the flap on top of the headphone socket – which the Z doesn’t have or need. Would definitely get another.

Not used the HTC, but I suspect that it’s a fine phone too. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

stumpy01

I’ve got an Xperia T and there are a few Sony idiosyncrasies that would perhaps put me off buying another. Nothing major; overall it’s a really good phone, but there’s just a few things that get more annoying the more you use the phone.

For example, every time you unplug the phone, it gives you a notification to unplug the charger.
    If listening to music at a certain volume, after a while it warns you that continued listening at high volume can damage your ears and reduces the volume. But it does this even if the phone is plugged into a pair of speakers.
    Every time you turn the data back on, it warns you that this may incur high data charges, but there is no option to tick ‘don’t show me this again’……

Maybe they have sorted a lot of these things, but for me I’d probably go back to HTC when it’s time to replace. I got this for for free on a bargain contract though, so can’t really grumble.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve got the HTC one talk time is 18hrs which is the best in it’s class by far. The screen is much better than the z1, the z1 will never win here untilll it sorts out viewing angles. The camera despite being 20.9mp produces noisey pictures. Team this up with the already bgh complains about build quality in the z1 and you have the reason why the HTC one still edges it. For me the z1 looks worst than the z. The z in my opinion is the best looking phone I’ve seen.

kbomb
    Free Member

Another Z1 user here. I got it because its waterproof, but can’t fault it really, its snappy and hasn’t snapped after dropping it a few times, plus it is capable of taking some great pictures. It is big though, I’d get her to go into a phone shop and try both out in her hand, as the Z1 might be too big unless you’ve got big hands. The One has been out a while, so is probably due a refresh soon, making it better, or the old one cheaper.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I believe the xperia version of android is more stock than HTC. Also it has expandable memory.

I quite like the port covers as they keep the phone clean.

Stumpy, those messages can be turned off. On my Z you just hold your finger on the message and it comes up with a dialogue box saying “app info”. Tap this and then disable the apprpriate app.

For instance disbale com.sonyericsson.unplugchargereminder

mogrim

It is big though, I’d get her to go into a phone shop and try both out in her hand, as the Z1 might be too big unless you’ve got big hands.

I was going to mention this, too. Although my (13 year old) daughter manages to use my phone without any major problems. When I let her.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Android batteries seem to get canned and don’t even go near samsung galaxy crap as they are all doomed handsets with batteries dying soon and loads of glitches.

Ha ha ha. Galaxy note 2 runs for 3 days from fully charged…nothing wrong with any of the Android Galaxy crap I have ever owned

weeksy

I recently bought a Z

I’m very happy… although it’s a little large I must admit.

mogrim

I recently bought a Z

I’m very happy… although it’s a little large I must admit.

Yeah… but then someone hands you an iPhone 5 (for example) to show you something, and it feels so small and pokey!

stumpy01

ktaylor – Member

Stumpy, those messages can be turned off. On my Z you just hold your finger on the message and it comes up with a dialogue box saying “app info”. Tap this and then disable the apprpriate app.

Cheers for that. It worked for the phone charger one – I just turned the notification off, rather than disable the app.

But, I can’t get the same to work for the data warning. If I press-and-hold on the ‘data disabled’ notification message in the status window (when I turn the data off), then the app info takes me to ‘keypad’ which won’t allow disabling or notifications to be turned off.
    When I turn the data back on, I get a pop-up message with the only options of OK or Cancel. There is no ‘do not show this msg again’ option and pressing & holding on the actual message doesn’t pop up the app info box. The message doesn’t end up in the notifications bar, so there is nothing to press on to get the ‘app info’ dialogue to appear. I tend to leave data on all the time because of this. I did trawl loads of forums looking for a solution, but gave up in the end – there are other warnings that have had the ‘do not show again’ tick box, so I think they have messed up & failed to put it on this particular warning.

Another weird thing my Xperia T does is that sometimes you unlock the phone (pattern unlock) and it goes straight into the photo gallery, even if you weren’t there before you locked it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘HTC One, or Sony Xperia Z1….’ is closed to new replies.