Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • HTC HD2 (WinMo) – any good?
  • spacemonkey

I stupidly lost my Hero last week and my insurers (my bank) have given me a shortlist of replacements. The only ones that interest me are the Hero and HD2. I was hoping I could sweet-talk them into a Desire but that doesn't appear to be an option.

So, if I'm to veer away from Android (albeit 1.5), can anyone convince me if the WinMo HD2 is worth going for?

Interface-wise, the front ends seems similar, plus the HD2 seems quicker and slicker due to Snapdragon. Naturally the apps are going to be fewer but I may be able to put up with that if I can borrow the gf's Hero for things like SportyPal (when I'm running/biking) etc.

Any ideas?

TVM

EDIT: how well does it integrate with Exchange/Outlook, especially in terms of calendaring and tasks? And what about Googlemail? I use Remember The Milk for all personal task management but that's not available on WinMo – any ideas?

Tiger6791

Have WinMo on Touch HD, Outlook integration is excelent it will sync with your exchange server so add a contact on your PC then it's on your phone etc.

Limited choice of apps

Clunky O/S

I wouldn't bother unless Outlook is king to you

spacemonkey

Hmm, Outlook isn't totally king, but I'd like to be able to do the following on a daily basis while out n about:

– manage RSS feeds
    – add to do's/tasks/notes easily
    – use a solid GPS
    – browse
    – use twitter/facebook
    – use something for mapping biking/running
    – use a solid MP3 player
    – most importantly: keep all my work and personal contacts separate (Android does this perfectly via Google) – I really don't want to manually add a load of people/etc and then have to do the same when I switch phones again

Have heard via XDA forum that there a loads more apps available away from the MS site – but I doubt they're as good as the AM.

Also, various reviews make out that the UI is kind of only skin deep, i.e. you still have to dig around in WinMo to make certain things happen – is this a pain (compared to the ease of Android)?

Cheers
    SM

Kato

There's a 2.1 update coming to Hero at the end of the month apparently

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've got a touch pro2 and i've vowed never to touch windows mobile ever again! its just so frustratingly awful. It all starts off fine, just a bit 'quirky'. But after a few months the whole phone seems to slow down and become sluggish. its a right pain. The browser that is designed to work like the iphone is incredibly unresponsive. The newer ones don't even have decent battery life so no good for memory map either.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have an HD2 – great hardware – clunky OS like above – Main problem is TXT function freezes – everything else is good pretty much.

If I were to buy again I'd go for the Desire or even (I can't believe I am saying this) the Iphone 4 for slick GUI 🙂

spacemonkey

2.1 (if and when it finally arrives) looks good, but at the end of the day the Hero is still pretty underpowered, plus the added slickness is going to be an abbrev version.

I thought the HD2 was supposed to be the killer WM, due mainly to its HTC UI goodness. Hence bad experiences with previous incarnations kind of give it a bad name …

It seems some HD2s have lag issues that creep in a few weeks – but apparently can be solved with a flashed ROM – don't know if this applies to all though.

Jezwick
    Free Member

Hmm, Outlook isn't totally king, but I'd like to be able to do the following on a daily basis while out n about:

– manage RSS feeds
    – add to do's/tasks/notes easily
    – use a solid GPS
    – browse
    – use twitter/facebook
    – use something for mapping biking/running
    – use a solid MP3 player
    – most importantly: keep all my work and personal contacts separate (Android does this perfectly via Google) – I really don't want to manually add a load of people/etc and then have to do the same when I switch phones again

Have heard via XDA forum that there a loads more apps available away from the MS site – but I doubt they're as good as the AM.

Also, various reviews make out that the UI is kind of only skin deep, i.e. you still have to dig around in WinMo to make certain things happen – is this a pain (compared to the ease of Android)?

Cheers
    SM

should be able to do all of that on the HD2

xda developers is a great website full of ROMS, free apps, themes, problem fixes etc etc ..

I have an HD2 not a huge amount to set it apart from android at the moment, hardware wise its the best phone still currently available in the UK, the screen is awesome …

Jezwick
    Free Member

I have an HD2 – great hardware – clunky OS like above – Main problem is TXT function freezes – everything else is good pretty much.

If I were to buy again I'd go for the Desire or even (I can't believe I am saying this) the Iphone 4 for slick GUI

have you installed the bug fix for the SMS problem ?, I assume not

http://www.htc.com/uk/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=297&act=sd&cat=all

also if you don't like WM6.5 try WM6.5.5 your find many ROMS on XDA Dev incorporating this version, its a lot less clunky than the original 6.5

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have an HD2, love it to bits.
    Never froze, crashed or missed a beat in the 4-5 months I've had it.

GPS is fast, texting is simple. Browsing in painless. Many have had problems but not me. I'm not interested it loads of pointless apps though, I use it in the car for music works a treat with a 8gb memory card. Flash works too, no MS embargo on that!

I wouldn't touch an iPhone with a barge pole, not tried Android

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I have done the SMS bug problem but to no avail 🙁

singletracksurfer

I have an HD2.

As said should do most of what you want.

Great screen – wanted for Anquet mapping – although the GPS locator doesn't work with it….yet. Google maps is great tho.

Twitter doesn't work with mine.

Most things are ok, but there are a few annoying operating problems sometimes. However Windows 7 may be available as an upgrade on it sometime (I hope).

Very happy, but then I also don't worry about having lots of apps.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hard to find out weather Win Mo 7 is or is not comming – very mixed firyes, then no, then yes 🙁

Jezwick
    Free Member

Hard to find out weather Win Mo 7 is or is not comming – very mixed firyes, then no, then yes

I'd bet my house it will, you won't hear anything before its officially released but once it is that will be the green light for getting it on the HD2 ..

microsoft are very good with their turning of a blind eye to custom roms free apps etc for WinMo, you can bet your bottom dollar though if someone releases a build of WM7 before it official release there will be lawsuits flying around all over the place 🙂

Grimy
    Free Member

There are several sports tracking apps for the HD2 aswell. I put a couple on my girlfreinds the other day, but unfortunatly not had chance to try them out yet. Look pretty good though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Did just delete 520 + 100 txt messages and seems to run faster now and freed up 5% memory 😉

spacemonkey

Cheers all. Have requested the HD2 as a replacement – now I'm just waiting for it to arrive 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘HTC HD2 (WinMo) – any good?’ is closed to new replies.