Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HTC Desire showing its age – decent, cheapish upgrade?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not only showing its age, but the internal memory restrictions are a right PITA in these days of 10Mb+ apps.

I’ve tried rooting, but no joy, apparently the firmware is too new…?

So, can anyone recommend (or sell me!) a reasonable replacement? Needs to have a big internal memory, or ideally one that is properly expandable with an SD Card that apps can be installed on. I’m using Giffgaff, as the unlimited data deal is unbeatable, so not really after a contract.

Why did HTC design what was a cutting edge phone with such an obvious restriction…?!

faz083
    Free Member

http://www.google.co.uk/nexus/4/

they’re cheap and decent 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Why did HTC design what was a cutting edge phone with such an obvious restriction…?!

To force everyone to buy another phone?
    (They’re obviously hoping you’ll choose another HTC)

Or, stupidity and short-sightedness. People are good at that.

stumpy01

I think HTC recognised that it was a massive blunder on their part. It was quickly rectified on all their phones since….
    I have the same issue. Have you moved all the apps that you can to the SD card? This will go some way to helping, but as you say…apps are getting bigger & bigger, which really limits what you can use before getting the low memory warning.

Nexus 4 is supposed to be really good, but getting hold of one won’t be easy.

I was looking to stay on my current T-Mobile contract as it’s unlimited data, 300 mins & texts for £15 but when I asked about an upgrade, they wanted £290 for the HTC One S.
    Might wait a while & get the Nexus 4 instead or just keep the Desire & treat myself to a tablet instead.

Cougar

There are ways round that restriction, of course.

Moses

There’s an app called SD move which allows you to move apps to the SD card. There is one in the Desire, but the standard is only 4GB. It’ll take 16GB, I think

My Desire is so stuffed full that I’m going to have to wipe it completely soon.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve tried rooting, but no joy, apparently the firmware is too new…?

I got this yesterday, needed to use a different rooting thingamy, think is was unrevoked that threw the error and revolutionary that worked.

Doesn’t affect the poxy amount of phone storage though, but it is running a fair bit smoother now.

Apparently there’s a way of formatting part of your SD card into the same file system as the internal memory of the phone, then tricking the phone into using that as internal memory…

stumpy01

Cougar….such as? Rooting it? Do tell more, as it does get on my tits. Every time the low memory warning appears, gmail stops sending/receiving mail. Was a bit apprehensive going down the rooting route, but perhaps it’ll be worth it.

Moses, does that work on an unrooted phone?

Goes off to investigate….

bails

I had the same issue, rooted using the later tool and it works fine. I’m running ‘leedroid’ which is just a copy of normal android but with some useful extras like running apps from the SD to keep the internal memory free.

edit: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/579600-guide-s-off-root-htc-desire-revolutionary-updated.html

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Have you tried partitioning the SD card? That can then be used to ‘fool’ the phone in to thinking it has additional internal memory.

I’ve installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 on my Desire (which is now in the classifieds…sorry, shameless plug), and by using S2E extended the internal memory by an additional 512Mb. That should leave plenty space for apps.

Out of interest, which ROM are you using?

spooky_b329

It took me ages but I finally rooted my Desire about 6 months ago a I couldn’t find an affordable replacement on a reasonable tariff.

I started with Dgb, then tried a few others and then came back to Dgb. Once I worked out that I needed to redo the hboot that came with Dgb, I’ve ended up with a phone that is significantly faster and better battery life than stock, and I have over 360mb for apps. I have loads on it now and still have 130mb spare. This is with no apps2sd or moving the Delvik Cache (which I never worked out how to do anyway)

Its one of the smallest and fastest roms but you can add the stock email/calendar/photo browser after install from the dgb website.

Apparently the only downside is you can lower the performance if you like playing proper games a the cache is smaller.

It really is worth having another crack at it. I used Revolutionary with no problems.

Moses

Yes the app (SDMove) installs on my phone, which is bog standard and not fiddled with.
    What’s S2E, geordie?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll try rooting with those other apps above.

Flash Player 10.1 11Mb
    Google Play Store 11mb
    Handcent 8Mb
    Gmail 4Mb
    Google Play Services 8Mb (WTF is this!!)
    Internet 11Mb (why?!)
    Mail 4Mb
    etc
    etc

spooky_b329

My bigun’s are:

Myfitnesspal 36mb
    BBC Media Player 26mb
    Maps 14mb
    Flash 13mb
    Shazam 12mb
    Youtube 10mb
    Rightmove 10mb
    Flickr 9mb
    Out of Milk 8mb
    Titanium Backup 8mb (great for rooters)
    Sky+ 6mb
    ES File Explorer 6mb
    Nationwide banking 6mb
    SlideIT keyboard 6mb
    TuneIn Radio Pro 5mb

And loads under 5mb. Its fantastic when you suddenly have loads of space to play with 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I can only dream of putting iPlayer on my phone, especially now that it will only work with BBC’s proprietory media player. I use Maverick Maps, as all maps are cached on the sd card.

I’ve got a cut down media player, to save space, and a basic file explorer. I’d love to have Google Music, but there’s no room.

TuneIn Radio is a must though.

Cougar

Yeah, as above.

I rooted mine after holding off for months; never looked back. There’s two different methods, and which you use depends on the revision of handset.

Once rooted, you can install a custom ROM. The one I used had App2SD+ built in, which re-partitions a chunk of your SD card as faux-internal storage. It’s this which gets around the internal memory issue.

The AndroidForums link above is a good starting point. It’s what I used.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Sorry Moses, it’s specific to Cyangenmod 7 and basically routes new installs to the partition on the SD card.

More detail here.

mrodgers
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect a bit of an old thread, but has anyone with a rooted desire got any recommendations for a custom ROM that works well with strava? I know that Cyanogenmod 7 has some issues with rebooting in the middle of recording a ride and thought a few of you might have tried strava with some custom ROMs.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Many many iphone 4 and 4 ses avl me pal just sold a brand fire new boxed 4 32gb for 175, and the 4s 16gb go for around 200-220 in excellent cond, i sold immaculate hd desire for £70 boxed with a spare high amp battery and cases.

headfirst
    Free Member

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HTC Desire showing its age – decent, cheapish upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.