Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HT2 BB gone VERY grumbly on road bike after very short time… Opinions?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Done maybe 5-600 miles on my new road bike, just upgraded from 105 setup to an Ultegra setup about 100 miles ago after I got it cheap (though kept the original BB in which still felt very smooth). Been out today on a hilly 40 mile ride, and about 30 miles in something started making a creaking sound. It sounded a little like a creaking seatpost or saddle (but it wasn’t), and as the miles went on, it got louder and more prominent.

I got home, gave the bike a good lookover, checked the cranks were tight, eliminated everything else on the bike for grumbles (it’s not the saddle or post, or even the pedals, or cleats or anything). Lifting the bike up and turning the cranks by hand (without holding the pedal) very gently and the creak/crack is still there, and though the BB turns reasonably smoothly, there is definitely a bit more resistance to it than a brand new one.

Now I’ve run HT2 BB’s on MTB’s for years, and none has made this sound, or even been remotely this rough after such a short space of time (save for a Superstar of course!). I know they don’t last as long as old square taper BB’s, but has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal? Have I just been unlucky, or should I be contacting Madison for a replacement FOC as it’s not normal wear and tear (my tyres have still got little mould dimples on them on the edges!)?

Opinions…?

Goz
    Free Member

NDS?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Tiagra lasted 500 miles. By the time I had taken it off, sent it to Leisure Lakes, they sent it to whoever for warranty and the bike was out of action, I just bought an Uberbike BB and has been so smooth compared to the shimano thing and I have just stuck it on my new road bike. It is super smooth. Took the Shimano one apart and no grease in it, or next to none. I did try to repack it with Silkolene and the ticking and rumbling were still there.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

You’ve looked at the saddle. Did you lube the rails?

rickon
    Free Member

Most likely grit under the plastic top hats. I would lift them off very carefully with a small flat bladed screw driver and give them a good clean out, pop the bearing seals off and pump some grease in while I was at it.

Maybe some salt grit from the road.

I know you’re diligent, but check your cassette is tight, as if its a little loose it’ll feel like a worn bb. Check jockey wheels are moving freely too, and spin the wheel without the chain, holding the cassette, just check the free hub is fine.

scotroutes

Who fitted the cranks?
    Was the bearing preload correct?

mboy
    Free Member

NDS?

Don’t know yet, not taken the crank out. It’s worse than a grumble though, it’s making quite a nasty creak/crack sound pretty much every rotation now.

You’ve looked at the saddle. Did you lube the rails?

It’s not the saddle… I’ve gone through the whole process of elimination thing. Held bike up by top tube and turned the cranks gently by hand, and it still made the same noise.

Most likely grit under the plastic top hats. I would lift them off very carefully with a small flat bladed screw driver and give them a good clean out, pop the bearing seals off and pump some grease in while I was at it.

I know that’s what normally kills them, but how would it cause such a loud noise? It’s got so loud, its like the frame has cracked!

I know you’re diligent, but check your cassette is tight, as if its a little loose it’ll feel like a worn bb. Check jockey wheels are moving freely too, and spin the wheel without the chain, holding the cassette, just check the free hub is fine.

It is definitely from the BB area. Rear mech is less than 100 miles old as is the cassette and the crank, all fitted properly etc.

Who fitted the cranks?
    Was the bearing preload correct?

Me. I don’t know everything about bikes for certain (hence querying this) but I know enough to be employed as a bike shop mechanic part time at least.

And yes bearing preload was correct. Did the plastic end cap up not too tight (as you should) but just tight enough by hand with with correct tool.

Stumped with this one!

Someone suggested it sounded just like a bearing had failed (as in cracked, or fallen apart, rather than worn out), but it still turns ok if a little stiffer than before, and there’s no play in there. 😕

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HT2 BB gone VERY grumbly on road bike after very short time… Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.