Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HT or FS updeehill?
  • jonnyv
    Free Member

So as mantain my stupid questions thread for STW.
    I have tried 3 times to get up a longish very, very steep sheep field with bumps and holes with both my HT and FS bikes.Which bike would be best do you think?

peachos
    Free Member

FS – you’ll have better traction.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the bikes. FS in theory but if it’s a ‘big’ bike you’ll be sat more upright and your weight will be further back which won’t help, and your BB might be slightly higher which would again not help if it’s steep.

racefaceec90

short travel fs.

ahwiles
    Free Member

depends.

what’s the problem?

do you…

a) fall off the back?
    b) get tired?
    c) lose traction on the bumps and stall?

or a combination of all of the above?

is it climb you think you can do seated? – or are there bits where you need to stand so you can put down a bit more power?

we i need more information for my spreadsheet…

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

The lightest, easier to pick it up and run with it 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, my HT is SS so climbing is entirely different to the pitch.

Pitch – unstopable, just put it in the granny and winch through big steps like they’re not even there. But it gets stumped by steep gradients.

SS – will get up near enough anything, as long as I don’t black out first or there’s any big steps at the end of the climb.

I’d say a short travel sull sus will probably climb fastest and furthest, something like a giant anthem x?

molgrips
    Free Member

But it gets I get stumped by steep gradients

FTFY 🙂

Move your body around.

njee20
    Free Member

Short travel, light FS.

RealMan
    Free Member

Short travel FS with a steep HA and decent set up and rider will get up nearly anything I reckon.

But any hardtail should be better then any other FS.

rustler
    Free Member

Get off & push. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cross bike

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

FTFY

🙂

Move your body around.

Tried that, there’s a hill in the Chilterns* which try as I might it wont go up, theres plenty of grip, its lumpy but not technical, but you just eventualy run out of momentum and grind to a halt.

*Thames path from Pangbourne, where the up/down steps used to be just as you come off the driveway/road, I swear the lack of steps now makes it harder (and will cause it to be washwed away in winter).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HT or FS updeehill?’ is closed to new replies.