Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HT or CX or roadbike for short commute?
  • xcentric
    Free Member

So I’ll shortly be commuting from the centre of Birmingham along a couple of traffic-static roads to the canal, and then along the canal for a bit – and back in the evening. 4 miles each way.

Was planning on getting a hardtail 29er (got a FS, but that’s not ideal for that trip!) as it could then also do days out in the hills, and would get me fitter, and allow me to try the 29 scene too…..

But a few commentators, here and elsewhere, suggested either a road bike with slightly gnarlier tyres, or a CX bike. Now, I like the look of road bikes as beautiful technical bits of kit, but will never be a roadie as all the roads around me are too dangerous, and I’m unconvinced by the look of the CX bikes I’ve seen. However, wonder if I’m being too shallow and blind. Would a CX be much quicker/easier? or would the hardtail be perfectly fine? Will a light-weight road bike be far easier to pedal? I do have a dodgy back which may not like the dropped position down on the drops, and so I’d probably end up riding it with my hands on the top anyway.

Looking to spend about £1k on the bike.

Opinions, and especially experiences, welcomed….. Suggestions of road/CX bikes welcomed too.

Northwind

What hybrids were invented for, and you’ll get a brilliant one for way under your budget (if you want).

Most important question is, where is it parked? My commuter’s a hammerited 90s mountain bike, because it has nowhere secure to live. Over 4 miles, any bike ever made will do the job so magpie-deflection becomes more important than doing the ride 10 seconds faster.

AlasdairMc

For four flat miles each way, I’d get a cheap singlespeed and spend the rest on the bike you really want.

If you want to go fast, a CX would definitely be the bike of choice. Something like the Cube X Race (or its 2013 equivalent) would be perfect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

narrow slick tyres will make a bike feel way faster even for 4 miles – a HT with slicks would be as good – but would you BA changing tires/wheels for weekend?

Sounds like you don’t want a cx bike or road bike.

Bez

4 miles each way? Anything’ll do. Just get something that’ll cope with carrying whatever luggage you might need and is going to be low-maintenance.

xcentric
    Free Member

got the bike I really want, so am in the luxurious position of getting another. Aware 4 miles isn’t much 🙂 Wouldn’t have to change wheels/tyres for the weekend as would most often be going out on the FS if I went at all (children permitting, usually :-)) Don’t need luggage (well, maybe a laptop in a rucksack). SS is an option, but don’t want to have to grow a beard…..

Bez

SS is great for a bike you need day in, day out, though. Flatties, SS, discs, dyno lights, mudguards all make for great no-fuss commuting.

xcentric
    Free Member

bike will live in the office during the day, so is safe, too.

ste_t
    Free Member

Depends how competitive you are (even with yourslef.)

I bought a cheapo mtb from Decathlon to commute so I wouldn’t have to use my nice bike (ht 29er,) but it felt horrid. Now use my nice bike, but cut over 4 mins from my time on 4 mile commute in the last 4 weeks so looking at a road bike as I’m running out of gears on the mtb and just want to get faster.

Lets be honest, not much off roading around Birmingham so a road bike might not be a bad idea at all

xcentric
    Free Member

roads too bad to road cycle on, either around work or around home – so no roading it too much for me. But agree that an awful bike is just that -and as I’ll do it every day, want it to be fun not a pita….. mind you, an awful heavy bike would get me proportionally fitter, I guess…..

MicArms

if its only 4 miles you could run in?

any old MTB will do , rigid forks and off you go..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Any second hand bike with slicks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HT or CX or roadbike for short commute?’ is closed to new replies.