Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HT for Bro. £1,000 and a bit budget
  • Alex

Bro wants a HT for a bit of MTBing in Kent, towing the tagalong for his kids and what we use to call ‘messing around in the woods’. I’m sure it’s now all-mountain lite xc tree-fusion or something nowadays, but whatever he’s not the kind of rider to be hucking off anything, or riding all day on some epic.

Needs to be 26inch wheels, 18in or 17.5in frame. He saw a genesis latitude and liked it and he’s found one for about £1100. So that’s the kind of budget. I did consider a 456 which on-one have good built up deals on, but thought I’d cast about here for some other options.

Doesn’t want second hand. Doesn’t want to build it himself (or if I’m honest, I don’t want to build it for him 😉 ), does want something he can buy now. I did point him in the direction of a LBS (he’s in Sevenoaks) but he’s not aware of any round there (I’m sure there are, so if anyone has some real-world knowledge of a good one, that’d be helpful)

Any help appreciated.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Pauls cycles do lots of deals on last years models. You’ll get a LOT of HT bike for £1000 whoever he goes for. So long as he isnt a brand / niche snob.

Or Canyon do some stonking deals on hardtails.

eg a Grand Canyon with rebas / xt bits / for £819 + £30 delivery:
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2539

Alex

Crikey those Canyons are good value. Ta.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

TBH it’s pretty hard to look beyond a Boardman – I’ve had two – both Hardtails (the pro spec)

The spec is hard to beat for £1k

The only not so good part is buying from Halfords – for one of the bikes I bought the gears were so poorly setup I snapped a chain first ride.

I also happen to live near to Sevenoaks & do ride on the trails in the area – in my opinion you don’t need much more than a 100mm or 120mm travel hardtail for most of the surrounding trails, hence well suited to a Boardman (they’re pretty lightweight too – lighter than either the 456 or Genesis)

If you don’t want a hardtail from Halfords then give the guys at the Bike Warehouse in Sevenoaks a try – they’re a good bunch who will provide good advice on any bike you buy.

honourablegeorge

Edit – ignore me, I’m an idiot.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Soz – I forgot the ubiquitous Boardman. Cheers cycl1ngjb!

Alex

That’s a good call as well. I have a boardman CX and Road bike and they’ve been great. Never occurred to me to suggest one of those. ANd he could try one for size as well. Excellent 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Commencal Ramones from Merlin,also check out the Voodoo bikes at Halfords if you visit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On One, P7 or anything in the C2W market

CHB

Definately check out what merlin cycles have on offer. Their malt frames and rock lobster bikes are very good value.

CHB

Definately check out what merlin cycles have on offer. Their malt frames and rock lobster bikes are very good value.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Voodoo wanga would be worth a look as will the boardmans

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HT for Bro. £1,000 and a bit budget’ is closed to new replies.