Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • HS2 – Northern bit
  • Richie_B

Can’t see the point of getting to Nottingham, Derby, & Sheffield an hour or so quicker if you are going to spend the time gained changing trains/trams/buses and travelling to the centre of town. I can see the way it avoids difficult/unpopular decisions but if your going to spend that much money you might as well make a proper job.

Perhaps if Sheffield elected a Conservative/LibDem MP they would get a better solution 🙄

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, i live in sheffield, ‘my’ MP is a libdem, his name’s Nick Clegg…

Richie_B

er, i live in sheffield, ‘my’ MP is a libdem, his name’s Nick Clegg…

What do think my point was?

Get the impression that a lot of promises of tunnels etc are being made along the route of HS2 to Birmingham where the consituency’s or country home’s of influential Tories are concerned. You would have thought the Deputy MP would have the influence for the Sheffield Station to be somewhere which will encourage people to visit the City rather than just Meadow Hell

ahwiles
    Free Member

Richie_B – Member

What do think my point was?

i thought there was a danger of missing some irony, but carried on regardless…

my mistake – carry on!

molgrips
    Free Member

Never bothered the Victorians

There wasn’t the road network in Victorian times, so it was trains or nothing for rapid transit. Nowadays trains are competing with cars.

So we have made a high speed line between Leeds and London, where as the rest of the transport network is unreliable, falling to pieces, overpriced and overcrowded.

Gotta start somewhere! New lines would seem to be just what’s needed, for the exact reasons you state.

I dont think it will bring jobs and prosperity
    Its surely just a plan to make London Commutable from anywhere in the UK.

If you live in Leeds and commute to London, you’ll bring money back to Leeds where you and/or your family will spend it at local businesses.

That’s ignoring the businesses that may locate there because of the access to London. That’s why so many businesses are in places like Reading, Camberly, Farnborough, Slough etc etc. Cos it’s handy for London but the property’s cheaper. Property will be even cheaper still in Leeds.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    Moses

It’s meant that folk can live in the further reaches of Kent and commute to London in a short time, so there’s been more investment in those places, and property prices have risen. The north has the same to look forward to I suspect!

Nope, it means there is LESS investment in Kent, it’s happening in London and the jobs are there. Property prices are up because workers can commute.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Ooh super, a new railway line that passes within a couple of miles of my parents’ house – shame the nearest station will be about 25 miles away.
    What’s the point of a railway line without stations??

molgrips
    Free Member

So the trains don’t have to stop all the time. Speeds up the journey.

CHB

The line passes within 400m of my house, and turns left to head into leeds right opposite a friends house on the edge of Woodlesford. Generally I think it will be good for Leeds.

scuttler

I don’t get this out-of-town issue, however I am only thinking about this from a going south perspective. It essentially becomes a parkway station – something the ECML is missing at least round these parts (W Yorkshire). I currently drive to Wakefield to go south which is frankly a doddle to get in and out of. The thought of having to drive into Leeds city centre or even worse Sheffield makes me shudder.

The flipside of course is the promise that people will come to Sheffield at which point I get the benefit of having it in the centre. Still – you have to think of all the emerging business areas – Don Valley etc, which are as close to Meadowhall. Meadowhall also has good links into and through the city.

Is the location of the stations supposed to benefit just a city or by careful planning, the city and residents and businesses in a 15 mile radius? Remember too that Sheffield and districts are not so spread out radially due to the Peak so putting it out at the North East towards Meadowhall makes it potentially better balanced.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘HS2 – Northern bit’ is closed to new replies.