Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • HRM Strap Woes
  • Freester

So about 14 months ago I got a good old Garmin HRM Soft Strap. It lasted about 6 months before giving up the ghost like many online have reported.

I couldn’t be bothered to go through the rigmarole of returning the strap to the online retailer so just bought one of the Polar Wearlink+ straps off Fleabay and swapped the transmitter.

This lasted until Xmas and the Polar strap gave up so I got another Polar one that’s lasted about 10 rides and stopped working completely tonight. I tried changing the transmitter battery but no better.

Are there any alternatives apart from buying another Polar strap? Googling doesn’t show many alternative ANT+ straps.

I’ve found a Mio Link optical wriststrap but kind of pricey. No idea if it’s any more reliable long term?

leffeboy

fwiw I had the same problem with a Garmin hard strap but I found a solution. The problem appeared to be sweat on the strap reducing the level of signal between the contacts so now I just smear a bit of grease of some sort (e.g I’m using chamois cream at the moment) on the strap between the contacts and the problems have all disappeared. Give it a punt, it may just work

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve used a Garmin heart rate strap with my Edge 705 for many years & it has lasted well & works fine. I believe the soft ones weren’t as good as the more rigid plastic ones (as I have) & I have just bought one for the wife’s Garmin watch she got for Christmas on fleabay. New for £22 – a good win!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

The Garmin ones are rubbish. I have had four replaced in the first year I had my 800. It is just the strap, the actual transmitter is fine. I ended up buying a Polar strap which has worked faultlessly and the Garmin transmitter fits it fine.

Regards

Freester

Yeah cheers unfortunately I only got 9 months out of my 1st Polar strap and my 2nd one lasted 10 rides Max. Tried the grease thing but no better.

Was really wondering if there are any other Ant+ alternatives or if anyone has got one of them Mio Links?

zangolin
    Free Member

Strange that one. Maybe you have just been unlucky with the Polar strap?
    Had the same problem with the Garmin soft strap after about 10 months of use. Switched to a Polar soft strap with the Garmin transmitter and had no problems in the last 12 months, that’s over 800 hours of use and just over 13,000 miles. It even gets washed at 30 degrees in the washing machine every week.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve had the Mio Link for about 8 months. Seems to read high at the start of a run/ride but settles down after that. No real mechanism to wear out, so I’m confident it will last.

Works well with my Garmin Forerunner 220.

It is fairly pricey, but like the OP, I got sick of replacing straps.

mogrim

The Garmin soft one used to rub me raw – to the point of bleeding after doing a marathon… Now got a Suunto one, also Ant+ compatible and dual so works with gym treadmills (if that’s of interest). A lot more comfortable and still working fine after a year of intensive use, with just the one battery change.

irelanst
    Free Member

In my experience a Polar strap lasts about a year, around that time they start to get a bit unreliable. I think the problem is the press studs, the plating wears and they oxidise leading to an intermittent connection. Giving them a good clean with a pan scrubber to remove the oxide and a coating of contact grease can give a bit more life but it’s a signal to buy a new strap. Obviously washing the strap in warm water to get rid of the sweat after each use helps. If it failed after 10 rides I’d take it back.

For gel on the contact pads I only use spit, or if really cold a smear of the gel they use when doing ultrasounds (I begged a few tubes when my wife was pregnant)

Freester

Cheers again guys. I will have a moan about strap that lasted 10 rides but I wanted to get another one just to be 100% sure it was the strap.

I must admit the strap comes into the shower with me after a ride and gets rinsed under the fresh water (no soap or shampoo on the strap) but I don’t bother chucking it in the washing machine. I do run hot at the best of times and am a sweaty old monster.

I’ll see how the next one goes before considering a change to another brand or the Mio Link.

mogrim

I must admit the strap comes into the shower with me after a ride and gets rinsed under the fresh water (no soap or shampoo on the strap) but I don’t bother chucking it in the washing machine. I do run hot at the best of times and am a sweaty old monster.

I wouldn’t put it in the washing machine anyway, rinse under warm water (no soap), air dry and you’re done.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have two Garmin Premium straps of the new grey variety. One used every morning, rinsed under the tap after use and machine washed once a week(sensor removed). The other same routine but only used 3 times a week and machine washed fortnightly. I use a small amount ECG gel on the contacts instead of spit. Never have a had a problem with either.
    The wife uses the older black Garmin premium belt and follows the same 3 times a week use and washed fortnightly and using ECG gel. Neither have had a problem other than requiring new batteries.
    Previously used the Sunnto soft straps and again no problems after rinsing after use, regular washes and ECG gel.
    Not sure if I’ve been lucky or the rinsing/washing routine and ECG gel has prevented problems.

cookeaa

I’ve had the Mio Link for about 8 months. Seems to read high at the start of a run/ride but settles down after that. No real mechanism to wear out, so I’m confident it will last.

Works well with my Garmin Forerunner 220.

It is fairly pricey, but like the OP, I got sick of replacing straps.

Shameless thread Hijack, My Cheapo BT smart HRM has just fallen to bits, looking about there seem to be a couple of deals about on the Mio link and it’s piqued my interest, reading the reviews it’s USB chargeable and compatible with lots of devices/phones plus no more chest strap.

How long does it take to charge?
    And How durable/sweat resistant/easy to clean is it? After 8 months use what’s the strap looking like?

Freester

Well I got my hands on a new Polar strap today and that didn’t fix the problem. It’s actually the black transmitter unit. Tried 2 different brand new batteries in the transmitter with the new strap. Just couldn’t get the Garmin to see or pair with the HRM.

Just to rule out my Garmin I got it to pair with my riding buddies HRM strap.

Think I’m gonna take a punt on one of them Mio Links…

Freester

Well well I just got the transmitter going again…

Why does my Heart Rate Monitor not work since I replaced the battery?

Freester

How long does it take to charge?
    And How durable/sweat resistant/easy to clean is it? After 8 months use what’s the strap looking like?

Well I pressed the button on a Mio Link last week. 70 squid on Probikekit.

I’ve used it for a couple of turbo sessions and a couple of cold outdoor road rides.

Readings seem comparable to when I was using my strap. Maybe a little erratic – low / high at start until I’m warmed up a bit.

I followed the instructions and I got my HR monitored very quickly and the device paired with my Garmin 500 no problem. I wear the strap a couple of inches above my wrist, with the sensor on the inside of my arm. On a 3 hour ride at the weekend I got a bit of wrist ache – I think I’d done the strap up a bit too tight.

There’s an Android app that connects via Bluetooth. Doesn’t do a lot other than allow you to check the battery charge and program your HR zones (there’s an LED that indicates what zone you are in by changing colour – not a lot of use when it’s easier to look at the Garmin).

One small worry is the manual says battery good for 300 charge cycles. So I am trying not to recharge after every use. I haven’t had to do a full charge yet so don’t know how long it takes.

The actual sensor pops out of the rubber wrist strap easily. The manual reccomends rinse it once a week.

So initial impressions are good. Let’s see if the thing lasts…

drofluf
    Free Member

Had a Mio for a week or so too. Very pleased so far

Flaperon

Conductivity / ultrasound gel from eBay.

Or lick the strap (yeah, I know it’s disgusting but it works).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘HRM Strap Woes’ is closed to new replies.