Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HRM recommendation – Polar CS300 or Suunto T3D
  • racemonkey

I fancy a new hrm for christmas and can’t decide between the Polar CS300 and a Suunto T3D.

Has anybody had any experience of either.

Ihad a polar bike computer ages ago but it wasn’t very reliable and died not that long after I bought it. Would the wrist mounted one be better or should I try the Suunto?

Any comments / help appreciated.

DaveGr
    Free Member

I’ve had a Suunto T6C for two years and it’ll share some features.

I wanted to be able to record 24 hours worth of data at a time without changing batteries and there were few on the market that would do it. I’ve got the memory belt which allows me to record @ 24 hours of data. If you’re wanting to go away for a long weekend then check that it’ll store the amount of data you need.

The “Training Effect” / EPOC is a waste of time and this is their biggest difference to other HRM’s. It only has a minor use if you’re at a constant or rising heart rate. As soon at it varies, as it will when biking, then the results are meaningless. Also the “PC analysis with 7 body parameters” are no use but these are specific to the T6 not the T3.

Watch itself has been reliable but the lettering on the face has worn off – cosmetic but annoying. Used on average 3 – 4 times a week in all weathers. Not used it swimming. You can change the batteries yourself which is good and the batteries themselves are cheap. I use gel on the HR strap but even with that it drops the signal occasionally.

Cadence and speed pods have been ok. Not looked but I think that the batteries can be changed in them which is good.

You can set basic workouts up – warm up, two interval times which are repeated then a cool down. Not been a problem for me as that’s all I need.

Software you get with it is basic and I don’t think is being maintained.

I spoke to these guys on the phone before I bought

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/index.html

It’s done what I wanted it to do but am in the process of replacing it so bottom line it I wouldn’t buy another T6 ‘cos it’s expensive for what it does.

racemonkey

Cheers DaveGr.

I was looking on http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/index.html and to be fair they look pretty impartial.

I like the look of the CS300 for it’s speed sensor being included in the box.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

I’ve got a selection of these things at the moment as we’re testing our Cosmo product against some of them. I’m not in the test lab at the moment but its the CS600x with the power meter that we have in there – i’ve had it on my bike for a while now on and off. I hated it, flaky as all f.. you know. Got some Garmins as well. If its just the HRM feature you want then get a more basic HRM, if you want bike related stuff like cadence, power etc then you’ll need to pony up some more serious $. Personally i have been using the cheapest HRM for years on my kayak, road bike and MTB. I’ve got, actually, had a Powertap as well which i have now sold. We’re currently testing our Cosmo biosensory top (merino vest with integrated harness) with the Velocomputer powermeter and that seems to be working OK. Our app is Android based and has an open sensor arch so any bluetooth compatible sensor can talk to it. I also race with a Suunto X6hr when i am adventure racing, no particular reason other than my Vector is broken !

chopperT
    Free Member

I have a Polar CS200cad, on road bike and MTB. Fine on the road, but on the MTB the speed will drop out below 5-6kmh, so if you’re grinding a steep climb, it thinks you’ve stopped, no distance recorded, and data recording pauses. I’m about to put my Halfords 6 function back on!

racemonkey

Cheers for that.

I was liking the look of the CS300 as I really wanted it more for the bpm’s and could then use the speed sensor on my track bike.

I’m quite happy with my Cateyes on the mtb’s for speeds and usual stuff.

I think I’d be in trouble if I was trying to do less than 6mph on the banking 😆

m0k0
    Free Member

What did you end up going with? Happy with your choice?

I’m looking at either of these.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HRM recommendation – Polar CS300 or Suunto T3D’ is closed to new replies.