Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • HR query: email job confirmation: can I resign now?
  • StirlingCrispin

Have been offered a new job (world-wide “virtual” company with small local office).

Have received an email confirming my terms and conditions.
    A contract is now being drawn up the UK HR person.

I really want to exit my existing job as quickly as possible.

Should I wait for the contract from the HR person (which will probably be emailed to me) or is it OK to resign based on the email I’ve just received?

Cheers!

Lifer
    Free Member

I’d wait until it’s signed and sealed.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Wait for the contract! They could change your salary on the formal offer letter, it has happened to me!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Woop Woop! Had meant to ask you on Friday, but you bailed – lightweight.

I assume it is the one in that shithole called Stirling?

And I’d wait for the contract myself – Merry Christmas Big man!

tonyg2003

contract and look over it carefully. This is your one change it if required

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’d wait, a few days wont make any material difference to you

mudshark
    Free Member

My sister resigned based on an offer over the phone where discussed and agreed working hours. Later agreed hours was changed meaning she couldn’t take the job so left without one. I’d always wait for contract but not unlikely to go wrong really.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Personally – I’d wait until I had a contract in hand – an e-document is binding these days, but an e-mail detailing t&c’S of employment isn’t a contract – but I’m pretty risk adverse at the moment.

Daffy

Wait for the contract.

A fried did this a while ago and then discovered the the new company expected him to be able to work upto 55 hours on any given week.

He had to beg for his resignation letter back.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d wait for the contract too but in the real world, I expect it’ll make little difference.

After getting a paper offer, I started a new job in the summer, reported to reception on day one and was promptly told they’d decided not to fill the post as their budget had changed, I was home for 11 – albeit with a month’s salary in my pocket.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The contract isn’t done (executed) until its signed by both sides. Best to wait.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

wait for the contract and wait for them to clear your references.

Got screwed over once as I trusted an investment bank hr dept to be able to do their **** job and clear my references and qualifications within my notice period.

convert

Whilst I’d say wait, having a contract in your hand is not a secure as most people think. Even a signed contract could still be backed out of (as could you by not taking up the post at the last minute). I had a friend who got a new job, received the contract, gave their 3 month notice to their existing firm and 2 months later the new firm had 2nd thoughts about needing him and left him high and dry.

Never the less I’d still wait and make sure on paper the comps and bens are what you assumed/as you thought you heard at interview.

wwaswas

I’ve rarely had a contract before I’ve started a job.

A physical offer letter that unequivocally offers the job and details the benefits should be enough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I’ve rarely had a contract before I’ve started a job.

and conversely I’ve never started anything other than a contract job without one

grenosteve
    Free Member

I haven’t got a contract now…. only worked here 5 years.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘HR query: email job confirmation: can I resign now?’ is closed to new replies.