Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HR noob question
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

It was my first day ride with my Garmin, I did a 20mile loop. Got home, didn’t feel tired at all and didn’t think it was particularly hard but my HR chart looked like this.

My average was 172 BPM, 93% of my capacity. Does it look right? You can let you have a look at the full profile if you wish too. I think it’s quite high, for a 23 mile ride as my av speed was 15mph. But I didn’t have the autos top turned on so it’s not that accurate.

Bit scary huh?

Kryton57

Time to get fit and lay off the pies eh?

😀

crikey
    Free Member

Are you a youngster?
    What do you think is your Max heart rate?

druidh
    Free Member

eyerideit – Member

My average was 172 BPM, 93% of my capacity. ❓

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

what is the equation to work out max HR if yours is 185.

EDIT: what ever the equation is, it isn’t quite right unless the readings are wrong because you went over 185 on that graph!

druidh
    Free Member

There is no equation to work out max hr.

leffeboy

If you used 220 – age then you need to know that is only an estimate and yours is probably much higher

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m 39, 5’10” and weigh 10 1/2 stone so I’m not exactly a porker.

EDIT Just going off what the garmin connect stats were.

crikey
    Free Member

Your Max HR will be much higher than you think. On a bike, your Max is lower than when running and you rarely reach your Max especially when just out for a ride.

To find out your Max, tie a piece of string tightly around your willy, then attach the other end to a car. Get the car to drive up a hill and your Max is the highest figure you see while pedalling along behind.

TiRed

HRmax is 220-Age +/- 20 BPM. Most people forget the prediction interval and focus on the mean. I suspect your Max is at the higher end.

The current best estimate is HRmax = 205.8 ? (0.685 × age) and this is +/- 12 bpm.

Find a big hill and ride up it as hard as you can three times. You’ll soon find your Max HR 😈

Kryton57

In all seriousness, calculate your max properly, and make sure you’ve setup you HRM properly. It’s just possible that you arnt as fit as you think. As an example, my age/height is the same as you cept I’m 2 stone heavier. I did a 34k (21 mile) ride in 1.10 yesterday – average hr was 170. Most of my longer rides average about 150. and I’m a sedatory office worker.

But no 2 people are alike, they could be a wide range of reasons why this happening.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HR noob question’ is closed to new replies.