Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HR drop during training.
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Am I correct in saying that as you train and get fitter, the HR rate drops as well?
    I’m working at a lower HR than say 2 months ago, not really seeing 160+ bpm on the HR monitor on my flat-out time trials whilst on my weekly rides, but my rides are faster (and actually more enjoyable – less grimacing). Not seeing the 170 – 174 on the steepest climbs any more either.
    I’ve been training on the 29er all year and unless you have decent forward motion you get bogged down, so sprinting up the hills (or at least the first part of them) and such like have become more common place in my routines, which in turn has been something of a revelation.
    Tim

Drac

Yup you are correct.

jonathan
    Free Member

Which means you’ll need to reach higher levels of intensity to achieve similar improvement – welcome to the plateau 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

HR for the same speed/work rate will decrease. But your levels, lactate threshold shouldn’t change much.

If you are training to the same perceived effort, HR should be the same. If you have gotten fitter and are going at the same speed, you are being lazy 😉

Or you could be overtrained.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Are you sure Cynic?
    The question is whether getting fitter lowers the HR whilst completing the same task (my training rides) as fitness levels improve.
    You’re saying however, that my HR should not differ.
    Mine (and Drac’s if I’m correct in saying) is that the fitter I become the lower my HR decreases during any given exercise.
    I appreciate the comment about overtraining, but that’s not the case at present.
    Thanks
    Tim

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Could be 2 things.

If you are unable to get above a certain HR that you used to be able to get, even when trying hard then it could be a sign that you are overtraining and your HR is surpressed.

But if your getting a lower HR while the effort is similar to previously, plus able to hit the high HR’s when pushing hard then it is a sign of better fitness.

sq225917
    Free Member

if you are riding set routes, timed to the clock, your heart rate will decrease with training. Any increase is a sign of over training or impending illness.

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get your heart rate up over 200 on the steep climbs if you really charge, of course you can’t sustain this for more than 30seconds without exploding. if you find that you physically can’t get your heart rate up as high as you could before training when just shooting for max BPM then that needs further investigation.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Matt.
    I’ll go with the latter (pours himself a glass of something suitably fizzy and refreshing!).
    Whyte Enduro on Saturday, Polaris mid June, plus Bony 24 & MM still in my sights.
    Thanks
    Tim (4 man team name Heather Mills Swims in Circles)

I saw 181 last year after being at altitude for a while, but normally I can reach 174 as my max HR. And it feels like it’s my max! I’m 134 yrs old in June.

njee20
    Free Member

here’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get your heart rate up over 200 on the steep climbs if you really charge, of course you can’t sustain this for more than 30seconds without exploding.

That’ll depend entirely on the person, if Tim’s not getting above 180 on the climbs I’d suggest that however hard he tries he’s not going to see 200!

I can average 200bpm for 2 hours on the other hand.

Ti29er
    Free Member

ps – did you see the post here, about the 29yr old rider having a heart attack! He’s supposed to be solo during the Bristol Bike Fest’ shortly so one assumes he’s not a novice.

njee20
    Free Member

Did you read the post though? He crashed hard onto his chest on the handlebars, and bruised his heart basically.

Someone had a heart attack at one of the nationals a couple of years ago.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ah!
    No, I missed that, reading only a few sections as it was 40 posts long.
    A pal of mine went for swim on his annual holidays in the Canaries a few years back, aged 32, was towelling off on the beach by his wife (31) and dropped dead.
    No family history – just a weakness in the heart they reasoned and too much stress in his life. And leaving it too long between hard physical exercise maybe (?).
    T

Drac

And it feels like it’s my max! I’m 134 yrs old in June.

Your doing very well then.

ps – did you see the post here, about the 29yr old rider having a heart attack! He’s supposed to be solo during the Bristol Bike Fest’ shortly so one assumes he’s not a novice.

As already mentioned MI like symptoms following trauma and anyone can enter solo class not many do well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HR drop during training.’ is closed to new replies.