Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • HR bods – my boss is declaring war on working from home
  • footflaps

My experience is quite different, once an employee has been seen as interviewing or suggesting they will hand their notice in, the reaction is something akin to ‘don’t let the door hit you on the way out’.

Can’t say I’ve ever experienced that, but then I’ve not worked for a large company for a long time….

DT78
    Free Member

Pook, so the people taking random short notice wfh days has started since the team leader retired? If that is the case sounds like the hr manager is trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a more serious issue. Once done and the situation improves they may become more lenient, I’d talk to them…

zokes
    Free Member

Assuming you’re a good employee and they will still want you, I’d be emailing him* saying, “I’m assuming this doesn’t apply to me, as discussed with Mr X [previous manager] on his offering me the job, working from home once a week was part of my package for this job.”

If I received an email toned in a rather passive-aggressive manner like that, I’d probably look on it with much less favour than if i’d had a cheery chat over a coffee, or if distance is an issue, a phone call.

Email is a very poor form of communication for negotiation. Use it to confirm what you have negotiated, never to try to assert your ‘right’, it just rubs the person who has the decision as to whether it’s a right or not the wrong way, usually with the wrong outcome.

chakaping
    Free Member

zokes +1

talk in the first instance

DT78
    Free Member

@Footflaps i have a little saying – No one is indispensable, no matter what you do, so be careful with threats to leave as they may just take you up on it!

I have been tempted several times to waft job offers under employers noses, but never have, as if you do that you need to be 100% sure you will go to the alternative job….and whenever I’ve been 100% about a new job I’ve taken it despite counter offers….

freddyg
    Free Member

Good luck with this Pook. I hope you get the outcome you need.

Out of interest, I overheard a conversation in the office (it should have been in a meeting room, but was conducted right next to my desk) regarding the appointment of a new employee and her distance from the site – would she be able to make it to Derby in time for 8am meetings etc?

This was seen as a potential block in appointing her.

Pook – I’ve been sent back to Barrow. It was good to meet you and share some kitchen space 🙂 Give me a shout if you’re in the north west and we’ll go for a blast (or rather you will and I’ll be puffing and panting some distance behind).

Northwind

This remind anyone else of the IT Crowd? “He’s probably declaring war on something, he loves doing that.” “I’m DECLARING WAR ON STRESS!”

hora
    Free Member

Im typing this reply from my office toilet Pook. Thats working from Throne.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

This could be fun. If you prove it’s part of your contract because you’re doing it already, then surely all the shirkers are going to do exactly the same thing too! Then what does the manager do?!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘HR bods – my boss is declaring war on working from home’ is closed to new replies.