• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • HR advice – what do you do when your job gets offered to someone else?
  • rob2
    Free Member

So work situation is… Doing a bit of a re-org at work. I was informed informally on Friday that they intend to bring someone in to do my job and move me onto something else reporting to that person.

What’s my position rights wise? That all seems underhand to me. I don’t have any performance issues and don’t lose my grade or pay but my contract is basically being given to someone else.. I think it basically means all bosses are c@@ts but wonderered if there is any hr advice out there in stw??!

Other than mtfu 😉

uplink
    Free Member

are they changing your contract?

rob2
    Free Member

Not that I know of. Certainly my terms and conditions are unchanged. And my contract is for a particular role.

NZCol

If your contract is for a specific role and you are no longer doing that role but something else then they have changed your contract. Are you Perm and of so how long have you been there ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not a lot you can do. Your T&Cs are unchanged. Is your role as defined in your job description? Will you be doing a new role? Anything official yet?

Doubt there is much you can do – but you could ask your union rep

Edit – I very much doubt your contract is specific to one role – usually a anything goes clause is inserted

uplink
    Free Member

I think I’ve spent my life having new people come in above me to do my job only for them to go when the company decides they’re too top heavy

rob2
    Free Member

Permy and been there 4 years. My letter of employment is for a specific role and that is in my contract with a specific reporting line.

Working in a big corporation is shite.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you, in your current role, have people reporting to you? If so, how many? How do you/ would you react to them if they don’t do what you want/expect?

GJP
    Free Member

So who reports to you now doing the job you are being asked to do in the future? Depending on the answer then it doesn’t necessarily sound to me like the new person being brought in is being asked to do exactly what you were doing?

Ask to see the respective job/role descriptions, but this will probably not make you too popular. A good chance they do not exist.

Best advice would be, to be professional, ask for clarity on the two respective roles and why the decision has been made. Suck it up, give it some time, see what you think and then try to find a suitable internal move (Big Corp). IME in corporate life there are successful approaches and not too successful approaches to getting the senior management to support a move to develop your career etc

edhornby

depends on whether you want out or not

if you want to stay then GJPs advice is spot on. a sideways move (you can spin it as this on the cv if you’re not losing salary) can often be a very good thing as you gain skills without the pressure of going up the food chain at the same time

if you want out then get hold of as much documentation, that says you got a good year end appraisal last time, the copy of your role profile and objectives for this year, which all prove that your job is being taken away from you

best of luck which ever path you take

ciderinsport
    Free Member

3 years ago I went on holiday. When I left for my 2 weeks I managed a team of 35. When I got back HQ had sent a bloke to manage my team, and I had nothing ay all to do!

Said bloke tried to find me low level stuff to do, but basically I just sat there! Not once did I complain, and after 3 months of boredom they decided that they had buggered up and offered me a choice. Do a non-managerial role till one became available or take a shed load of cash to not come back. I took the cash!

My advice – be nice, but look after your own interests, and fight dirty if you are getting shafted!

uwe-r
    Free Member

Clearly you haven’t kissed enough ass in your 4 years at the firm. Maybe its time to pucker up.

binners

So you’ll be getting paid the same for doing less? Or certainly having less responsibility?

Sounds to me like you’re on a winner! I’d arrange a long lunch 😀

sobriety
    Free Member

So you’ll be getting paid the same for doing less?

Ask for a rise, the worst they can do is say no, shirley?

rob2
    Free Member

Yeah I suppose it’s a blessing – get paid the same but less stress and responsibility!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘HR advice – what do you do when your job gets offered to someone else?’ is closed to new replies.