Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • how/when does middle aged start?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Just seen a guy I used to teach who is only young, well in his early 30s, yet he looked much older…
    Is middle aged the way you dress?
    Being married/a parent and letting things go to seed?
    A general attitude?
    Shopping at M&S?

clubber
    Free Member

When you start denying that you are middle aged 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

/thread

cynic-al
    Free Member

Probs all 4 I’d say. I don’t feel it at 42, “oracle” Realman, at 12 years, probably knows better though 🙄

damo2576
    Free Member

When you spend too long on here and buy lots of bikes and think you are cool again?

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon 45 ish
    You’re then nearer 50 than 40 and 40 is too young and 50 too old to say you’re just in middle age

the maths of it would probably say 35

chvck
    Free Member

At an equal distance from the extremities of something; central.

So I guess you take the average life expectancy and 0 and find out what the age in the middle is. How far out from that age you spread I have no idea. This probably also has no actual bearing on reality.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Even if you take into account us living longer. Ie 90ish it would still be 30 I cant see how it can be later ie 40/50 nonsense some people say.

Young 0 – 30
    Middle age 30 – 60
    Old 60 – 90

cynic-al
    Free Member

middle of adult years – say 20-80 – therefore 50.

uplink
    Free Member

Young 0 – 30
    Middle age 30 – 60
    Old 60 – 90

I’d probably say

0-20 Kid
    20-45 young
    45-65 middle aged
    65 > old

RealMan
    Free Member

middle of adult years – say 20-80

Surely you’re an elderly person by 65-70, rather then an adult.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I just cant seem to get a system were middle age starts at 45 you have to literally live to 150. The whole point of middle aged means your in the middle years of your life.

This might work if the average life span was 100 not 80 as it is. Leading to middle age starting at forty

0-20 child
    20-40 youth
    40-60 middle age
    60-80 Old ish
    80-100 Proper Old

This doesnt work for me

0-45 young
    45-90 middle age
    90-135 old

Drac

When you become forgetful of what you said.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Actually if you do take 80 as the average life span. Middle age starts more like 26 if you have 3 stages ie young-middle-old

0-26.66 young
    26.66-53.33 middle age
    53.33-80 old

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Probably the age when you realise that it takes longer to do what you used to, bits are falling off / out, it takes longer to recover / repair after accidents, your body screams at you when you try to do something physical that your head tells you is easy and you start panicing that you are running out of time to try all those things you somehow wished you had when you were young but didn’t have the funds or cohones. So, best to try and cram them all in before you really get old and lose any chance.

Which makes it a variable age. Isn’t always accompanied by a crisis…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It starts when you begin making that slightly hydraulic noise when bending down to pick things up (you have to, it’s in the contract).

Accompanied by getting grumpy aboutjust about everything…

RealMan
    Free Member

20-40 youth

A 40 year old youth?

Hobster
    Free Member

When you start buying deluxe versions of albums you already own.

clubber
    Free Member

Everyone posting an age, should post how old they are because I’m pretty sure that that will nicely demonstrate my rule 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

flip
    Free Member

I’m 42 and feel fit and healthy, i don’t feel ‘middle aged’ i don’t know what it should feel like mind…

I really do feel young, just bought a BMX.

I suggest when my 9yr old son thinks i’m untrendy i’ll suddenly feel old.

yunki
    Free Member

when you realise that you have started dancing like your Dad… this can happen at any age and is irrefutable evidence of middle age..

clubber
    Free Member

My Dad’s a very good dancer. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to dance like him. Guess that means I’ll be young forever, right? 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Everyone posting an age, should post how old they are because I’m pretty sure that that will nicely demonstrate my rule

ADH, 28 years young.

I think, at least in outlook, I’ve been middle aged from 8 years old onwards.

Clubber Middle Aged Rule = Tripe.

brooess
    Free Member

Whenever you want it to?

Some of my friends ask me when I’m going to be less obsessed about riding bikes – I think they think I’m getting too old for it and should aspire to a slower pace of life…
    What they don’t know is I’m never going to stop loving riding bikes 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

when you realise that you have started dancing like your Dad…

Also one here who’s Dad dances quite well (I guess, he takes lessons and goes to dances and everything). I refuse to join him though, so I guess I’ll be young until he forces me to go.

12 19 here.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

All that is arbitrary.

I’m 65 and the only way I might be able to detect a difference between my riding now and 35 years ago would be to put a clock on it. OTOH, when I go to reunions of my school class, some people got old, some didn’t. When I was a kid, the idea of a man my age spending a couple of hours riding a bike uphill in order to shred the DH was unimaginable.

I don’t feel any different, and nothing in my body hurts after a ride.

My mum is 91, just renewed her driving licence, but with the price of fuel she prefers to walk to the market.

Who cares what you call it?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

What they don’t know is I’m never going to stop loving riding bikes

You say that but I always thought I’d be well into playing computer games. I was still playing them as much at ever by 25 but I seem to have stop playing them recently aged 31. In fact I cant remember the last time I did play one.

Maybe its just a temporary blip.

RealMan
    Free Member

I do know a guy who is 63ish and he recently got himself a full sus and went on a skills day, and now loves session little jumps and drops in his local woods. He’s ridiculously enthusiastic about it. Think he windsurfs and skis as well as road riding and mtb. One of those people who never seem to slow down.

McHamish
    Free Member

n+10

Where n = your current age.

soobalias
    Free Member

when does it start?
    at 30
    how long does it last?
    till 50

how do you know you are middle aged? when you post on a forum full of middle class middle aged folk, that 45 is young! have a word with yourself.

donsimon
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

When you become forgetful of what you said.
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

😆 😳

epicyclo

Simple.

Ride a bike or run, middle age starts at 55

Don’t ride a bike etc, it starts at 40

Smoke? – it starts at 30

large418
    Free Member

It’s when hair starts growing out of your ears or nose, or your eyebrows start growing uncontrollably.

richmars

It’s when hair starts growing out of your ears or nose, or your eyebrows start growing uncontrollably.

No, it’s when the hair that grows out of your ears and nose is grey.

sslowpace
    Free Member

McHamish – Member
    n+10

Where n = your current age.

This.

I don’t drink or smoke, feel great and get regular exercise @43.
    I have loads i want to do and i think that keeps me perky (baby).

Trekster

@ 57 +1 what Repack says only I am probably better atm than 35yrs ago when I was going through a bad health period of asthma and back problems

epicyclo

Another go:

Youth is while you can improve your performance
    Middle-age is when you can’t but keep doing it anyway.
    Old is when you stop doing it

Woody
    Free Member

Impossible to say when it starts as there are so many variables.

Attitude, outlook, fitness, etc etc all play a part and some people are old farts at 28, they just ‘become old’. Others like some posters above ^^ and me (hopefully) will carry on and do exactly what they want and remain young with a few additional grey hairs and wrinkles.

The only concession I’ve made is that I rarely drink to excess now as hangovers have hurt like a barsteward since I was 45 ie. 6 years ago 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

At 50 I am approaching middle aged I think – and I am certainly a lot younger than many 50 yr olds

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘how/when does middle aged start?’ is closed to new replies.