Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How's your hearing?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

What’s your age and max frequency?

Hearing Test – Can You Hear This?

scotroutes

SORRY?

wwaswas

I had a hearing test when my wife kept complaining I could never hear her talking to me if we weren’t in the same room or I was facing away from her.

Turned out my hearing was ok, the advice I got was ‘Pay more attention to what she’s saying’.

This is a true story.

grum
    Free Member

35 – can only just hear 14khz 🙁

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I can hear all except 16kHz… am 44.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

wwaswas – I hear that

39, I can barely hear the 14khz.

wwaswas

12Khz. Maybe I am deaf as a post after all.

or the amp and speakers on my tablet aren’t much cop.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Someone’s lost an earring??

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mine was OK till half an hour ago when I stuck a cotton bud in it.
    Now I’m a bit deaf.

ourmaninthenorth

Currently have someone drilling outside, but I think I can just make out 17khz. Def can hear 16khz.

39 with tinnitus for last 20 years….

captaincarbon
    Free Member

crap, cant hear past 10Khz . . . will I die?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its more a test of how good your speakers are I think! I’ve got excellent hearing but on my PC i can only hear the 8khz tone.

jekkyl

SPEAK UP

Oh it’s the *Meek*…blessed are the Meek! That’s nice, I’m glad they’re getting something, ’cause they have a hell of a time.

wwaswas

I’ve got excellent hearing

I bet, after 20 years of marriage, you wouldn’t hear my wife if she was talking to you from a different room.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its a pain to be fair, I can’t even have a wrist watch in the bedroom if i’m trying to sleep…..

eltonerino
    Free Member

17Khz Age 34

somafunk

Age 44, I can hear 15khz clearly but nothing above that, years of clubbing and putting on dance events have taken their toll. I have custom acs hearing protection plugs that i wear if i’m going to subject my ears to abuse.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I thought I couldn’t hear past 15kHz – then turned the volume right up on both computer and individual sliders, and could detect all the way to 22kHz (just!)

My hearing isn’t actually very good (I have a lot of trouble making out conversation in a busy pub or club), but I think I have trouble with the lower, rather than higher registers.

I can often hear higher register stuff others don’t seem to – dodgy / cheap power adapters are a main culprit!

Age 36.

sadmadalan

12 Khz – Age 52.

Although I do umpire hockey matches where being selectively deaf can be very useful!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Max out at 17K with proper speakers. 32 this week.

Who is actually using speakers with a decent response? If you’re listening from a laptop etc you’re probably mostly hearing overtones and distortion.

NB – if you can’t hear a high frequency signal, don’t stick your ear right over a ceramic tweeter or it will feel like someone’s just shoved a hot poker in your ear.

somafunk

Cambridge audio dacmagic plus and KRK speakers so it’s definatly my ears, not much difference using sennheiser amperior headphones – there’s a subtle tweak on the 16khz but nothing to get excited about – i blame the dodgy sound systems in 90’s era clubs, and Dave Clark’s preference for driving everything into the red 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I can hear all except 16kHz… am 44.

How does that work? I thought you could generally hear up to a point and not beyond it?

Anyway, I’m 29, can he 16kHz, but not beyond it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

EDIT – not sure how accurate this is anyhow, amplifier terminal voltage fell from 2.5V to 0.5V between 8 and 17KHz.

This is more like it 😀 Even done in an anechoic room, with a spring-isolated floor and special headphones.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m 42. Heard number one and nothing else. I do suffer from tinnitus due to an ill-spent youth.

JAG

OK I’m 49 this year and I can hear upto 16kHz and maybe the 17kHz

boblo
    Free Member

14 one side 16 the other…Bolleaux. Adrian Mole; 49 and 3/4.

leftyboy
    Free Member

51 and can hear 14khz but have had tinnitus for over 20 years 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

Pretty much spot on for my age. I get it checked every couple years as part of a medical for work.

chewkw
    Free Member

Vol on speakers at 50% – can’t hear beyond 8kHz.

Vol on speakers at 100% – can’t hear beyond 14kHz.

Ya, hearing not as sharp … no surprise there.

Sundayjumper

Not done the test but I know my hearing is knackered and for me it seems to be a genetic thing. My younger brother had his hearing properly checked out a few years ago and was diagnosed with otosclerosis. He had one ear operated on and it helped, but chose not to have the other ear done and now has hearing aids in both ears. He’s 38.

My hearing is simialrly bad. We’d both assumed our hearing loss was due to loud music as youngsters (gigs & car hifi) but his audiologist said his hearing loss was more dramatic than she’d expect from such relatively normal use and it was more in line with extened occupational exposure. The fact mine is bad too led her to suggest a family genetic weakness.

I’ve been putting off getting checked properly, I know it’ll be very depressing.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’m 6 weeks post op after surgery to correct my Otosclerosis. My hearing is improving weekly. Previously I had rubbish hearing in one ear, I can now hear clocks ticking 🙂

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Why can I hear the 10 but not the 8?

bakey

52 and deaf as a post here.

c45-50% sensorineural hearing loss in both ears, corrected to pretty good levels by (expensive!) completely in the canal hearing aids.

I didn’t try the test…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Collecting for the lost fisherman’s benevolent fund?

Herring Aid

I’m crap in echoey loud rooms where lots of people are talking / shouting. I just can’t process it all so just ignore everyone, occasionally giggling or saying “yeah, I know”.

cardo

Got 12 but not 14. Age 42
    The 90’s might have a lot to answer for.
    I do now wear ear defenders when drilling or using any kit that is damn loud.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Had same op as your brother and got back around 90% hearing in my right ear, had my left one done last August and that failed so I am waiting another 6 months to see what my consultant can do to sort that one out.

Despite the left one failing I still don’t need to wear my hearing aids anymore and even after the side effects which were totally different e.g. Right ear op it changed my sense of taste for around 6 months (had to start having sugar in coffee again and couldn’t stand the taste of anything Tomato) and the left it was my balance for around a month I’d do it all again.. Go get it checked out you won’t regret it and would recommend Mr Ray at Sheffield Hallamshire

tallmart10

49 and can just about hear the 14kHz. I am going to try it with my 9 year old twins when they get back from school.

Hobster
    Free Member

17kHz 42 with decent earphones.

hammyuk
    Free Member

16 on the speakers – 17 with headphones.
    45 with all sorts damaged 😆

CountZero

I’m getting on towards 62, with tinnitus, and I can get up to 17k, using UE TripleFi 10 Studio IEM’s fitted with triple flange eartips.
    I have to have the volume well up above 15, but 15 is pretty piercing at about half volume on my Pad.
    The last time I had a proper hearing test at work, when I was regularly running a machine that hit 92dB continually I was told my hearing would be good for a 25yo these days! I do struggle with conversations in noisy environments, but I understand that’s a different issue.
    I do wear hearing protection at gigs these days, and at work if I’m running the folders, no more standing in front of speaker stacks at ear-bleeding volumes!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How's your hearing?’ is closed to new replies.