Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • How's your hayfever?
  • RustySpanner

Last few days have been a bit special.

Get it bad every year for a couple of weeks around this time, but seems to be worse this year for some reason.

Only started with hayfever in my early 30’s (after moving out of the city 🙄 ) and it’s been affecting me less and less for the last five years or so, but today was a cracker.

Anyone else?

jimjam
    Free Member

How’s your hayfever?

Non existent, thanks for asking 😈

RustySpanner

Throws snotty tissue.
    Misses due to crust over eyes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m usually finished by this time of year but still sneezy at times.
    Maybe I’m allergic to the cat

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Been a bad year this year.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Mine’s lingering later then normal. Been bad this year.

chewkw
    Free Member

Very bad this year for me at the start of summer, as I couldn’t breath at all without Loratadine. Took a month worth and now getting slightly better but still using eye drops from time to time. Nose still block but not as bad …

mattyfez

I used to get it really bad when I was younger, swolen eyes, streaming nose, basicaly house bound some days. Same with cats.

I think I must have brute force vaccinated myself, as neither affect me any more apart from the odd sneezing fit /itchy eyes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I get the worst. Like eyelids stuck together can see in the morning bad. Tried Fexofenadine this year, hardly had it at all.

mudshark
    Free Member

Not so bad for me this year for some reason.

vickypea
    Free Member

Worse this year, especially last weekend

MussEd
    Free Member

Eyes are killing me. Randomly burst into tears which alarms the kids, and sneezing fits which alarm everyone within 2km radius.

Haze

I’ve been really struggling since early June.

Have Idiopathic Urticaria year round, occasional bouts of eczema etc. but never had a problem with asthma in summer…usually a winter thing for me.

Doctor has given me two months of Fexofenadine, 180mg compared to my usual daily 20mg. Not seeing a big difference tbh, although today has been a little better…maybe weather?

Sadly two months of my road season gone and decent training almost impossible.

RustySpanner

Oof, let us know how you get on.

Just the eyes for me at the mo.
    Loratadine usually works well, and I’ve only really needed it for a couple of months over each of the last few years.
    Wearing shades helps, will have a pop at some cheap clear safety glasses for work.

Thanks for the replies.

Haze

To be honest I’ve never suffered with hayfever, given my history I guessed I’d cop it at some point!

Doctor has put it down to this years’ pollen since I was a hell of a lot better during a break in Greece, but then slowly slipped backwards after I got home.

I’ve spoken/met a few people who have had a similar experience this year, perhaps it’s a particularly problematic strain of pollen this year? Or something, dunno this is all a new experience for me!

oldnpastit

I’ve pretty much stopped getting hayfever since I moved away from my parents (a looong time ago) and their cats.

tomd
    Free Member

I was quite bad this year and it’s generally pretty mild for me. There seemed to be quite a bit of warm windy weather this summer which has probably stirred things up.

anagallis_arvensis

Not as bad as when I did my Phd studying hay meadows

whiterabbit84
    Free Member

Mine has been almost non existent this year after being prescribed Mometasone Furoate nasal spray – way better than beconaise etc. Just said to dr beconaise wasn’t cutting it.

Just dealing with the itchy eyes, but opticrom used regularly just about covers it.

Garry_Lager

Defo a bad year but I think has peaked for me. Normally get a bad 2 week spell and then I’m more or less over it as far as needing antihistamines.
    Tried acrivastine OTC this year for the first time, think someone recommended it on here, and it seemed decent.

rOcKeTdOg

Proper wheezy for me this year in the last month. I only usually get thst from whatever pollinates in May/early June. Double dosing on latoradine. Was in Scotland beginning of the week and wasn’t affected, back home & it’s back. Obviously i need to move north of the border

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Isn’t it cyclical, on an individual level?. I’ve suffered less this year than I ever Have, only felt it 2 or 3 days. Hopefully I’m growing out of it, and the cycle theory is pish. Only had it for 30 years.

Worst time for me is always once home after a commute home in early summer. A shower helps for sure, get it all washed off.

colournoise

Mine’s been much easier this year than for a while too. No idea why, as mine seems a bit more random than cyclical.

footflaps

I get mine at the start of summer (Birch pollen IIRC), by July it’s normally fine.

Giallograle

@Haze I’m dealing with the same thing. Try getting more sun, every day.

Yup just read ‘break in Greece…’ I try to spend half an hour in the sun, T-shirt, every day. Otherwise trouble.

Part of it is vitamin D but supplements on their own don’t fix it.

PS do you react to blue cheese, for example Stilton?

burko73

I’ve been using nasacourt for a couple of yrs and it really sorts out my blocked nose etc from hay fever. Think that’s mostly tree pollen related.
    Had a few itchy eye episodes that I’ve cured with antihistamines.

Odd thing this yr is that I’ve had really itchy hands some mornings/ evening that I’ve sorted with the above antihistamines. Just on those hot dry mornings or evenings when I’ve been out and about when the pollen counts been super high.

Haze

@Haze I’m dealing with the same thing. Try getting more sun, every day.

Yup just read ‘break in Greece…’ I try to spend half an hour in the sun, T-shirt, every day. Otherwise trouble.

Part of it is vitamin D but supplements on their own don’t fix it.

PS do you react to blue cheese, for example Stilton?

I have vitamin D 20ug daily as suggested by an immunologist a couple of years ago, things are generally good but the last month or so have been ‘different’. I try to get outdoors as often as possible but 8 hours a day in an air conditioned office probably isn’t helping.

Interesting suggestion though, maybe I’ll try to make a point of fitting in half hour daily.

No problems with cheese, the only thing which I’ve been able to identify as a trigger are Pringles, Seriously, everytime. Probably not such a bad thing to have to avoid!

Giallograle

I mention that because blue cheese – Stilton and Roquefort –
    are high in histamine which causes hayfever-type reactions.

Antihistamines address some of the symptoms, but can cause their own problems whilst leaving others unaddressed.

Try the sun – or any other changes you make – consistently for say a week without making other changes and see if there’s a difference.

Those of us who work indoors don’t get much sun.

burko73

I get lots of sun and it doesn’t make a difference. When I was working outside more in the summer I just got more hay fever symptoms.

simon_g

Been ok for the last couple of years since switching to Benadryl (acrivastine) from the generic loratdine/cetrazine ones I’d been taking for ages.

willard

Not too bad this year. I switched to nasal steroids to dry out my sinuses and have not taken an anti-histamine in a month or so.

Mind you, it is pi$$ing with rain right now…

poolman
    Free Member

For me its a uk thing, i used to get it really badly but since moving to spain nothing. I was in the lakes 2 weeks ago and got it really badly. Only solution for me was swimming and steam rooms. The pollen seems to get stuck in my hair, hands and clothes.

Haze

Been a lot better last couple of days since it’s been raining, even managed a road race yesterday without spending the following 30 minutes coughing my ass off.

Depressing thought though spending all winter wheezing and looking forward to some sun, only to spend it unable to breathe properly!

porter_jamie

actually its been ok this year, thankfully.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘How's your hayfever?’ is closed to new replies.