Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How's Brechfa in the wet?
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Going on Saturday to ride the Gorlech trail.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Fine.

creamegg
    Free Member

Pretty good.

mtbfix

Basically fine. The single caveat from my experience is that riding there in the wet earlier this year I had probably the heaviest fall I’ve ever suffered. Target fixation, 1. Staying upright, 0.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i got so wet there a couple of years ago that i was so cold when we got back in the car i couldn’t drive and almost cried – trails were still good though. 😀

wallop

Raven can be a bit muddy at the start but Gorlech is fine. It always rains when I’m at Brechfa 😆

nwilko
    Free Member

Raven is pretty sticky for a trail centre, lots of real singeltrack with no cambered shale/chippings a great ride but the miles arent as easy as at other trail centres (but great fun/secnery), once you join the gorlech thats like any other welsh trail centre and an easier ride.. was their mid week a fortnight ago once i left the carpark didnt see a soul for 5.5hrs till i got back to the carpark.
    Enjoy its a great ride..

scraprider
    Free Member

im there next week.

footflaps

Found some of the signs on the Raven a bit poor, did end up crossing a stream and dragging the bikes through 6″ of mud only to realise the sign pointing this way actually meant straight on.. From the tyre tracks we weren’t the only ones to make this mistake.

rusty90
    Free Member

That’s a well known mis-sign footflaps. It’s currently marked with a cross of stones to try and put people off, but it’s still an easy mistake to make. The tyre tracks mostly come from locals doing a popular off-piste cheeky bit, but in the other direction.
    I might do a bit of guerilla signage at the weekend.

continuity
    Free Member

Generally unimpressive by comparison to nearly everything else. The whole trail has a multiple personality disorder. Apart from the ludicrous **** tabletops at the bottom of the raven, the trail is rigid singlespeed 29er territory. Then they come, and I wouldn’t hit those without a dj or dh bike.

footflaps

That’s a well known mis-sign footflaps

Cool, makes us feel a bit better for going that way!

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Just aswell I’m riding the Gorlech trail and not the Raven then.
    Will ride the blue trail aswell if the red is not enough.
    Cannot wait rain or shine I’m sure it will be awesome. 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

the ludicrous **** tabletops at the bottom of the raven … I wouldn’t hit those without a dj or dh bike.

The local kids like to session them on their Argos specials and I’ve done them several times on a rigid. Pretty tame compared with some of the other bits IMO.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did the Gorlech in one of the rainier bits of this summer.

It was alright – but to be honest I did get fed up with riding through puddles at the foot of most of the jumps.

Like playing snooker and having someone throw a glass of water at you each time you draw back your cue.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Has anyone got a link to the pub by the trails. ?
    Or somewhere near by with good Quality food

footflaps

Last time we were there (BH WE) the local pub was shut, so we drove down the road heading West and found a really nice pub. Will try and look up which one it was, about 5-10 miles away?

EDIT It was The Plough Inn, Neuadd Felingwm Uchaf Felingwm Carmarthen SA32 7PR

Food was most excellent esp the Steaks 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

There is a great pub just near the trial start of the Gorlech in Abergorlech. Very MTB friendly and great tucker!
    Edit: trail not trial ….. Stupid iPad

wallop

http://www.blion.co.uk/

At the end of the Gorlech trail. They laugh at you if you lock your bike up.

Edit –

Quote from the pub website:

We welcome dogs and the occasional horse. We just ask you to keep the dogs on a lead please.

I’m guessing that means your horse can roam free 😆

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Staying north of Swansea so the Plough looks a good call.
    Thanks all.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

That was fun 🙂 love the paving slab bit, flat out and see what happens.
    Now a few beers and a ride onThe Gower tomorrow.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@son – I love the Gower, done lots of walking there stunning especially out of season (Rhosilli and Worms Head but a grassy slide fest up and down I’d guess on a bike). Doethie Valley (not sure what that’s like in the wet) is close to Brechfa.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Jambalaya can you recomend any resturants in area?
    Looks good for Sun tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How's Brechfa in the wet?’ is closed to new replies.