Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • howies in reasonably priced shocker
  • Paulio
    Free Member

Mine came this morning. Nice feeling material, very light, quite a tight fit with plenty of length in the arms. Quality seems pretty good too. I’m no seamstress but some of the stitching inside is a bit scruffy if you go looking for it.

I’ll give it a try on the commute home and seeing as Cardiff is almost tropical today it will be a good test of breathability!

somafunk

Mine arrived as well, not as lightweight as a montane velo, but a far better snug fit (on my shape anyway) for a medium i’m usually a somewhere between 38″-40″ and this is spot on, nice stretchy segments on the arm and extending down the side so it doesn’t ride up when stretched out, good reflective areas and 2 elastic draw’s at hem to pull it in (not that it really needs it on my slightly non athletic shape), good pocket on the front with a cable port for headphones and a nice feeling fleecy lined collar that does up to the top without strangling your throat when on the bike, nice simple elasticated cuffs that aren’t too tight nor too loose.

All in i consider a very well thought out and designed riding jacket, i dunno quite how waterproof it will be but that’s not what it was really designed for, i imagine it will cope with the occasional shower and to keep the worst of the windchill off for which it will be ideal, and i love the eye-popping orange colour – it should help the mountain rescue find me when i take an unexpected route and bounce down the mountain.

Gunz
    Free Member

I know it’s a relatively new bit of kit but with a view to longevity, has anyone put together a washing diary for it?

somafunk

WTF is a washing diary?….when its filthy i’ll rinse it out with tech wash and that’ll do it.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, Just ordered one. Annoyingly just before I read the comment about the Medium being snug on 38-40″ chest, might be a tight fit! 😳

Gunz
    Free Member

WTF is a washing diary?….when its filthy i’ll rinse it out with tech wash and that’ll do it

Please see further info at the link;

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/biketech-wear-washing-worldcom-sticky

letmetalktomark

Mine arrived.

No concerns or qualms about its construction.

But its going back.

Not sure if to SWAP it for another (smaller) size or refund.

For me its shape is a lot less fitted than I was expecting … almost too loose.

I was expecting a similar jacket to my Montane but they are worlds apart.

elliott-20
    Free Member

For me its shape is a lot less fitted than I was expecting … almost too loose.

Funny, I thought the opposite. Went for the medium and everything feels a little too snug. Especially over the shoulders. Almost restrictive when reaching. (Unless this is how it’s meant to be). I appreciate it’s not as long as most road type jerseys but seems to sit quite high too.

Overall it looks and feels quality but I’m more used to a looser feel and thinking whether I should have gone for the large. 😕

postierich
    Free Member

Went for a large in blue being a 42r guy but showing 25th of May dispatch which is a shame!

postierich
    Free Member

Went for a large in blue being a 42r guy but showing 25th of May dispatch which is a shame!

s1m0n
    Free Member

Got mine – I’m a 36″ chest so got size small and it’s a good fit. Quite fitted and sleeves are a good length that don’t ride up. Seems well made.
    Tried it on commute home last night in light rain and it proved showerproof.
    Used it again this morning and the heavens opened – definitely not fully waterproof but it’s not billed as that.
    Overall really pleased with it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

mine arrived today too and it’s spot on for what i wanted. got an L and it’s a good fit for me, 41″ chest (ish) and it’s just right. really nice shade of blue too!

cat69uk
    Free Member

Just been on a 4 mile run, just had a baselayer underneath. About 4 degrees here, it is just warm enough without overheating. Nice fit and quite when moving, no sweat on the inside when I got back. Good bit of kit, and nice bright Orange. I’m 6ft.2 and 13 stone 8, large is spot on.

zbonty

I got the jacket and jersey yesterday in Med. both sent back. The body of the jacket fit ok. If I went up a size I think it may be a bit flappy.
    The jersey looked a bit like a crop top on me and tight on the arms. Large should be a good fit.

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

36″ chest here and the small is spot on. No flapiness and decent length in the arms. The fleece lined collar is a nice touch. The headphone loop thing on the collar is a waste of time though, but then I wouldn’t use it anyway.

Not used it in anger yet but it doesn’t look like I’ll boil in the bag like I do with some jackets. Certainly don’t think it will keep you dry in a downpour but I got mine just to keep in my rucksack for the commute just in case the weather turns unexpectedly.

At that price I’m tempted to get another before they sell out.

honourablegeorge

Hope these are reasonably priced, they look good

View this post on Instagram

Sneak peak of our softshell MTB short. Due in soon.

A post shared by howies (@howies) on

SimonR

Nice bit of kit – breathable and stretchy bits on the back of the sleeves and side of body. I went for the orange one – very visible but not day-glo.
    Great fit too – not flappy at all.

clubber
    Free Member

How small does it pack up in the pocket?

I like that they offer this pic of it – must be aimed at STWers 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Is it light enough to be sausaged up and sit on the elastic-bungee on top of an OMM bumbag?

p7rich
    Free Member

MIne’s going back. Seems nice quality but the Medium fit is a bit weird on my 6’2″ gangly frame.

jam-bo

Mine should be here Monday so we’ll see.

Accidentally bought a slipstream jersey at the same time…

guitarhero
    Free Member

Sending my medium back too. I like a tight fit, but it looks like I’m off for a cycle to my local gay bar. 5″11′, 32′ waist, 40′ chest. Anyone with my dimensions bought a large? How’s the fit?

elliott-20
    Free Member

FWIW. I sent my medium back after speaking to the helpful guys at Howies.

I’m a 38.5 chest so right at the top edge of Medium but the sleeves felt tight around the shoulders and underarms.

The chap said they we’re designed slim and fitted as they are a more technical jacket but a size up shouldn’t be too large.

I was advised the large, compared to the medium (at 38″), was obviously bigger in the width (by 4 inches IIRC), the length is slightly longer but the sleeves are the same length. This should help if riding with something more than a light base layer. I’m not too much concerned with it flapping around as I generally ride with a CamelBak but a bit more length and less sense of restriction over the shoulders will help.

I guess I’ll find out when the replacement comes.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Guitarhero see above ^

I’m half an inch shorter than you. Same waist size.

mattjg
    Free Member

Surprised at all you folks ordering mediums, it feel like Howies are taking a bath on this one. If it’s not a cycle specific article so for riding you’re going to need a bit more slack in the shoulder and arms and length in the back, yeah?

rockhopperbike

44 chest for me, so bought a XL, all day yesterday at Antur Stiniog was great just breaking the wind up enough

orena45

I’m 5’8″ and slim build and the medium is a perfect fit for me. Happy with mine 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Rockhopper, how tall are you? I’m 44 too but 6’5″ and not skinny

jam-bo

medium jersey and jacket turned up today.

despite it looking like the jersey was a child size its very stretchy and a great fit. Maybe not if your carrying a bit of extra weight…

jacket seems good. will probably buy the long sleeve version of the jersey for the winter.

ross980
    Free Member

Thread resurrection.
    The Dyfi jackets are £30 on Wiggle now, sorely tempted to get one for for running/biking. Any other reviews/opinions?

iain1775
    Free Member

Get it, love mine, only jacket I’ve been able to wear comfortably in anything other than winter
    Ok it’s only mildly waterproof but great for warm indifferent days when it’s threatening showers

Jamie
    Free Member

Thread resurrection MK2.

What’s the longevity on these been like?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Good so far.

Size guide wise, at 6’1″ & ~180lbs (no wobbly bits) I by accident have 2. Wiggle sent me a medium, and a large when I queried the sizing with them, being between the 2 – then they said keep them both!

The medium I find works well on the road bike – it’s snug, but not gay bar fit as someone mentioned on the other page! Fine for not moving about a huge amount.

The large seems better on the MTB, I assume as i’m a lot more active on that.

Hope that helps people not sure.

dazh

Only had mine for a couple of weeks now but it’s been worn lots in torrential rain and gale force winds, mostly on the road. I’m impressed at how well it keeps out the rain considering it doesn’t claim to be waterproof. I’ve been out in persistant heavy rain for a couple of hours and remained completely dry other than around the arms. The medium is indeed a snug fit, I’m 5’9”, 75kg and a 32 waist and wouldn’t want it to be any smaller.

For £30 I’m very impressed and considering buying another one.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m 5’9”, 75kg and a 32 waist and wouldn’t want it to be any smaller.

I took a punt and ordered a small and a medium from Wiggle. Assuming at a towering 5’7″ / 30″ waist / 37/8″ chest, one should fit me with a bit of room to spare as will be going over a few layers in winter.

…although I have more

(wobbly bits)

at the moment than usual 🙁

Anyway, gutted they have run of orange, so going for the blue.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Recently got one and I’d say their size guide is accurate, I’m at top end of small in chest and waist, got small and it is roadie snug. Sleeves could do with being bit longer, I’m 5`10 normally proportioned arm length so poss fractionally taller than they intended for a small!

Originally got it for mtb duties for which it is a bit too snug (wouldn’t want to stretch it over pads) but I’m keeping it for road/commuting.

Too early for durability and avoided rain so far but impressed for the money.

ibnchris

Sorry to pi$$ on the Howies love-in but having been a long term fan I was really disappointed by the cycle specific baggies. They were weirdly short in the leg and the ‘epic’ cotton is rubbish. Too hot in the summer and not in the slightest bit weather resistant. In fact they just get wet and heavy.

Bit of a fail IMO

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘howies in reasonably priced shocker’ is closed to new replies.