Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Howgills – The Calf
  • bland

Whats teh best route to do that involves coming down Bowderdale?

Did a route starting Longdale end going up and over to Sedberge then back up from Howgill, Barn Rigg way i think but other than teh fond memory of Bowderdale i seem to remember it being a naff descent to Sedbergh and a massive climb back upto teh calf.

Basically want the best two descents and the most ridebale route up to the top, so do two climbs and two descents of it.

Suggestions on a postcard please

CrispyCSW

Out & Back from Sedbergh, it’s mostly rideable each way up & a hoot back down both ways.

I’d avoid the climb back up bram Rigg that you did last time. Did it last week and didn’t enjoy it, lot’s of pushing involved.

I don’t rate Bowerdale that much. My route of choice is to do it north to south and take the cheeky path that runs along the ridge parallel to the Bowerdale BW (West Fell) and comes out at the Calf. Going down south of Winder – nothing naff about that.

bland

AH right, I noticed that bridleway that goes over west fell but it seemed to go nowhere, however looking at aerial photos i can see that it does infact continue from the calf trig point.

So what would you recommend as a loop that goes over twice. I have done it n-s, around to the west and then down bowderdale. Whats the best way to get down from the calf heading south?

This is the route I meant.

One of the best descents anywhere IMO.

Pook

The Calf and Bowderdale are incredible. I’d have it up there as one of my top three bits of singletrack in the UK.

and guess what, yes…. I have a video!!!

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/5092093[/video]

if you email me I’ll send you my route

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Howgills – The Calf’ is closed to new replies.