Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Howgills: Bowderdale after rain?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the ‘Bowderdale’ route a couple of times but both times it’s been on a fine day after weeks of fine weather. I have it in my head that it’s a route that’s not good riding after rain. Obviously most routes are better dry than wet but some routes are worse than others after rain to the point to being best avoided.

Is Bowderdale one of them?

And how much rain has it had over the last week? (S Manchester has had loads inc. most of last night)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden there, but walked up there. I’d guess it gets very wet and boggy after rain. I was supposed to be there this wed evening, but put it off, weather being one of the factors. Maybe next week…

lowey

Mud fest in the lower reaches mate.

Best take the cheeky ridge top path to the west IMO.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

dave, what’s that ridge path like? Just looking on geograph and it looks quite grassy (boggy?)

dave, what’s that ridge path like? Just looking on geograph and it looks quite grassy (boggy?

Not particularly grassy and the odd boggy patch, but it’ll always be drier than the BW.

higgo
    Free Member

Ta – think we’re going to leave it ’til we’ve had a few days of dry weather and go somewhere a bit more weather-proof.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Done it twice. Biblically wet on one occasion, pretty wet the other. The route rode well but would like to try it in the dry!

Russell96

Some of those stream crossings could be a bit on the hairy side, sure you want to risk it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – just found this

*Ponders sunday ride*

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Howgills: Bowderdale after rain?’ is closed to new replies.