Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • How young, would you let your child go to school on their own?
  • Cougar

From a safety aspect, IMHO it’s all about maturity / security of the individual kid, rather than an absolute numbers game. “Congratulations on your 9th birthday, you’re now officially old enough to walk to school on your own, you weren’t safe yesterday.”

I Am Not A Parent.

Travis

I don’t see many younger children walking / cycling themselves to school, so wondered what the norm is here.
    I remember walking to school myself at that age.

When we were in China, it’s very common to see children from the age of 6/7 walking themselves to school.

nuke

My two didn’t walk by themselves until they went to big school partly on the basis it was a nice chance to walk & chat with them…i miss walking them to school; they grow up so quickly 😥

Travis

nuke… I know what you mean. Mine currently go to breakfast club, but that little chat on the way is very special. I miss it, when I can’t take them.

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with most of the above. Firstly it depends on the individual kid. Though it also depends on the route. 10 seems a good default though – my oldest is 10 and has once or twice been on his own, though I prefer to see him across the very busy main road we have to cross (he’s been making his own way to school or home once across that for about a year). I think in year 5 I’m still supposed to put in an appearance when dropping off or picking up – year 6 the standard seems to be that kids go by themselves (I’m not quite sure if it’s a formal rule, but it’s what happens by tradition if nothing else).

dannybgoode

I walked on my own from the first year of middle school (we didn’t have primaries in Sheffield it was first, middle and then secondary) which I think I was 7 or 8.

I’d let babybgoode walk from a similar age although I suspect Mrs Danny would rather wait until he’s 18…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How young, would you let your child go to school on their own?’ is closed to new replies.