Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • how would you survive when the end of the world comes?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I saw this on the Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/apr/21/apocalypse-how-a-survival-guide-to-the-end-of-the-world-video

Basically meeting people who have prepared in some way for survival after a global catastrophy. I have one friend in the UK who is ready, but then he is into Heavy metal and The Walking Dead so that kind of explains it.

We have enough food and water for three days if we get snowed in, plus we’ve got three axes.

As most of us here on singletrack have woodburners we’d be fine for heat for a bit.

What is your plan?

Harry_the_Spider

Embrace the lightning. I’d rather die than live in a world full of heavy metal fans.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Eat the slow people who don’t have axes or woodburners

oldnpastit

Delusional.

funkmasterp

Steal everything from the heavy metal fans 😈

nemesis
    Free Member

Eat the heavy metal fans

theotherjonv

they’d taste a bit ‘inky’ wouldn’t they. And not in a posh squid ink risotto sort of way… more like when you’re sucking the end of a cheap biro

– and if it’s the end of the world, surely the point is that there won’t be survivors?

(I’d round up all the pedants and eat them first)

padkinson
    Free Member

Embrace the lightning. I’d rather die than live in a world full of heavy metal fans.

But embracing the lightning would be so metal, dude

ferrals
    Free Member

Presumably the only way you’d survive the end of the world is to have access to a spaceship?

stumpy01

padkinson – Member

But embracing the lightning would be so metal, dude

Ride the Lightning, Shirley….?

Standards are slipping….. 😆

jekkyl

“get on yer bike and ride” oooh yeahhhh, those fat bottomed girls. yeah ride it cowboy.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Would you prepare your Heavy metal risotto at home or would you flee to the mountains/ countryside (presuming you can get a parking spot at Swinley) and Ride the Lightning there?

These are all potentially life and death decisions

Northwind

There’s some types of apocalypse I could survive better than most. Til I run out of insulin, then I’ll die.

cokie

I’d swing by my garage, pick up the truck and supply bags, then head to deepest darkest Wales where I have a cabin waiting(near a trail centre).

oldnpastit

There’s some types of apocalypse I could survive better than most. Til I run out of insulin, then I’ll die.

You’ll be fine, provided you have a steady supply of pancreases:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Saxl

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm..

The clue is in the title.

You’ll be dead.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I love how the doctor with a steady supply of pancreases has a camo tshirt on. He is ready

darrell
    Free Member

I have a log cabin in the Mountains – fresh water from a well and plenty of trees for firewood and all the rivers and lakes are full of trout and salmon

theotherjonv

I have a log cabin in the Mountains – fresh water from a well and plenty of trees for firewood and all the rivers and lakes are full of trout and salmon

sounds idyllic.

Until the Metal fans move in next door…….

footflaps

If you read any post-apocalypse fiction, first thing they do is poison the wells….

whitestone
    Free Member

Have you ever looked at a prepper’s website? Weird, really weird, and scare. So much so I’d sooner take my chances with the flesh eating zombies.

tjagain

Well I have good outdoor equipment and I can turn animals into meat so I guess I am better equipped than most. I’d go hide in the highlands.

How many folk on here have turned an animal into food ? – from live animal to dinner.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve choked a chicken. IGMC

no I’ve killed chickens and plucked them. Not rocket science though is it? kill said animal, cut up said animal. eat?? perhaps I wouldn’t be efficient at it but I’d be OK? Wouldn’t I?

perhaps I need a skills course! 😀

Beagleboy

I actually had a very vivid and detailed dream about this! Like Northwind, I’d struggle without a steady supply of insulin. I actually dreamed that there’d been an apocalypse, and that I, very tediously had to come into work (I’m a research technician in a genetics lab), and produce my own insulin.

Seriously, I actually dreamt about doing PCR’s without a PCR machines.

🙁

…..Tank Girl wasn’t even there to help me. 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

Have you ever looked at a prepper’s website? Weird, really weird, and scare.

yes, in an internet stumble i went from off-road pick ups to preppers.

Some people have shelters, stocked up of course, built in the woods – not on their own land but just in well hidden areas. which they would retreat to when the nuclear winter comes.

Very odd.

P-Jay
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member

I love how the doctor with a steady supply of pancreases has a camo tshirt on. He is ready

How’s a bookshelf going to help?

Drac

How many folk on here have turned an animal into food ? – from live animal to dinner.

It’s not the most difficult process to follow.

I read this as a kid so I’m sorted.

IHN

Well, if the dead come back to life as zombies, one of them will be Lofty Wiseman, so I’d ask him what to do.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As for survival – it really depends on how the world ends – because no amount of tinned fruit is going to help if an asteroid hits earth, and bottled water is of limited use again ICBMs.

Downfall of society? Nah, Society is bigger and better than Westminster – check this Chap out.

He’s stood there because it’s the (slightly daft) right thing to do – people like that will still do that sort of stuff even if the government falls.

Society doesn’t need leaders, not for the basics anyway, when it all goes wrong you need your friends and neighbours and they need you. This post-apocalyptic idea that the moment the lights go off we all start eating each other is fiction.

thegreatape
    Free Member

plus we’ve got three axes.

You’ll fit right in with the heavy metal mob then.

zilog6128

Make friends with the neighbours. All the loners like Mr Heavy Metal will just have their carefully prepared stuff taken away from them by people who have banded together about an hour after they’ve realised the shit has properly hit the fan. We will then make our way to the Highlands and make TJ cook us nice kebabs.

chilled76
    Free Member

Its interesting we all take our safe society for granted. There are apparently lots of signs it could eventually collapse (probably not in our lifetimes but maybe in 100 years).

Have a read of this
    BBC article

darrell
    Free Member

if fishing counts then yes – see my previous post

also plenty of reindeer, Elk and rabbits around

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve caught fish and eaten them.

I also keep chickens and although I don’t do it regularly I’ve necked one before and curried it.

Plucking it was the hardest part!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

interesting BBC article, cheers. You can have an axe when it begins.

” another sign that we’re entering into a danger zone (collapse) , Homer-Dixon says, is the increasing occurrence of what experts call nonlinearities, or sudden, unexpected changes in the world’s order, such as the 2008 economic crisis, the rise of ISIS, Brexit, or Donald Trump’s election.”

jonba
    Free Member

Luck.

IF something bad happens then it really depends on where you are in the first instance – on that basis as we live on a small island you are probably done for. The ability to move out of harms way is probably key.

You need to plan for what form the end takes. Thermonuclear war, zombie apocalypse, climate change, asteroid, breakdown of society all a need different plans.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I have Ray Mears on speed dial 🙂

maccyb
    Free Member

I’ve recently given this a little bit of thought – having moved into a Proper House I now have room for supply storage. Read a couple of books that my ever-helpful mother-in-law (really) picked up for me from the charity shop.

In the end I decided I would ‘prepare’ for a minor stumble of civilisation e.g. something that led to a few weeks of fuel/power/food shortages. But the actual collapse? Really couldn’t see the point of investing that much time, money and effort to the point of actually being able to ride out a situation that civilisation isn’t coming back from.

The sheer quantity of food required – mostly in the form of long-lasting dull filler – to last the recommended year ‘self-sufficient’ before you can hope to be growing your own is nuts, plus because you have to rotate your stores and eat the old stuff before it expires means you’re locking yourself in to eating rice and beans for the rest of your life. And you aren’t going to be able to learn and prepare growing your own post-apocalypse so you have to start now. Plus you have to work out how you’re going to defend it from everyone else who will want it. It just puts you in a horrible mental state – paranoid, defensive, cynical – and you can tell quite a few intensive preppers actually *want* disaster to strike to validate their lifestyles.

More fundamentally, what would be the point? To live on in a desperate hunter-gatherer/subsistence-farming lifestyle just to continue existing? A real global disaster would be utterly miserable – hiding in your cabin in the woods hoping the bandits don’t find you, no idea what’s going on, wondering whether that cloud on the horizon is radioactive, if the cut you just gave yourself trying to butcher someone’s feral pet is going to turn septic and kill you because there’s no antibiotics any more? No thanks…

ribenaberry
    Free Member

Unless deliveroo is still working, think I’d be a goner.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

More fundamentally, what would be the point? To live on in a desperate hunter-gatherer/subsistence-farming lifestyle just to continue existing? A real global disaster would be utterly miserable – hiding in your cabin in the woods hoping the bandits don’t find you, no idea what’s going on, wondering whether that cloud on the horizon is radioactive, if the cut you just gave yourself trying to butcher someone’s feral pet is going to turn septic and kill you because there’s no antibiotics any more? No thanks…

The will to survive is probably pretty crucial…. you are toast 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘how would you survive when the end of the world comes?’ is closed to new replies.