Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How would you measure the remaining thickness of rim sidewalls?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Some kind of spring caliper, but you’d need to be able to release it to get it off the rim whilst still being able to reset it to its original position to then measure the gap…

nickjb
    Free Member

Use a vernier and a little spacer

jam-bo

wwaswas

LoCo
    Free Member

Small diameter micrometer? damn it waswas, it’s a posh digi. one too 😛

scaredypants

vernier caliper & a dremel

molgrips
    Free Member

Use a vernier and a little spacer

That is a fine idea!

TiRed

Will the spacer sit flat against a worn rim? Is the inside of the rim parallel? Does the rim have wear indicators – most do. Mavic’s appear when worn, others disappear when worn.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Cut a piece out and use a ruler?

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

The example picture posted by jam bo is the answer … an iwanson spring calliper. Cost less than £5 on eBay. Been meaning to get one for ages.

aracer
    Free Member

A spoke bent to fit makes a perfect spacer.

crogthomas
    Free Member

aracer – Member

A spoke bent to fit makes a perfect spacer.

This.

Like this:

benji
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, I would realize I’m riding last centuries technology and upgrade to discs 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

They are Mavic Open Pros. What wear indicator should I look for?

wwaswas

Mavic explain how their rim wear indicators work on here;

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/products/2_119.pdf

INTERNAL:
    Process:
    The inside of the braking surface of the rim is machined on both of the wings of the rim.
    Principle:
    When there is too much wear on the rim, a little hole appears on each of the 2 braking surfaces of the rim. Depending on the ad
    justment of the brake pads, it is possible
    for the wear indicator to appear on only one of the 2 braking surfaces. In any case,
    the appearance of the wear indicator on at least one of the 2 braking surfaces
    means that the sidewalls are too thin, and it could be dangerous to continue to use the rim. It should be replaced as soon as p
    ossible.
    The position of the wear indicator is marked by 2 yellow arrows on the stickers on the rim, opposite the valve hole.
    Refer to the chart on the previous page to find out which rims offer this internal wear indicator.
    INTEGRATED IN THE PROFILE:
    Process:
    the wear indicator is an integral part of the rim. There is a groove on the entire circumference of the rim, at the center of t
    he braking surfac
    Principe :
    The groove becomes more shallow as the braking wears down the surface of the rim.
    Its disappearance, on one side of the rim or the other, means that
    the thickness of the braking surface is too thin and it could be dangerous to continue to use the rim. It should be replaced as
    soon

jemima
    Free Member

In the past I’ve used the top of the braking surface cracking off and making an aluminium hoolahoop around the axle as a wear indicator 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I too have used that technique.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How would you measure the remaining thickness of rim sidewalls?’ is closed to new replies.