Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How would you do this – carbon effect on aluminium frame?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Looking to create this kind of effect, but on an aluminium frame:

Thinking a sheet of carbon fibre in the right area, then a stencil during the painting process, followed by polishing and then clear coat? Would this work?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have a sticker company cut Vinyl for the carbon effect and then overlay a second vinyl with the outline,Fit to frame and have it clear coated

brakes
    Free Member

a sheet of carbon fibre would be too thick wouldn’t it? it would protude too much. couldn’t you use carbon effect vinyl or something instead?

psychle
    Free Member

it’s a bare aluminium respray, if that makes any difference? no idea how thick a sheet of CF I’d need under the paint, wouldn’t be much would it?

CF effect vinyl would be an option I guess, but it’d be cooler to have it under the paint if possible…

Andituk
    Free Member

You’d have to wrap the entire bike in it to get it to look right under the paint, otherwise you’d have an line around the edge..

Carbon effect cut vinyl would be best way I think.

Neil-F
    Free Member

This is good stuff, and very easy to work with:
    http://store.carbonfibergear.com/3m-di-noc-carbon-fiber-vinyl
    You can find it on Ebay, about £18 a roll.
    I’ve used this on car interiors and, apart from the matt finish its one of the best carbon look vinyls I’ve seen. It might be possible to laquer it with a gloss finish, or even overlay it with clear vinyl.

epicyclo

But why?

psychle
    Free Member

working on ideas for painting my ibis szazbo, thinking maybe i’ll try to put the ibis carbon logo on it, hoping to get the vitamin p paint as well 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How would you do this – carbon effect on aluminium frame?’ is closed to new replies.