Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How would you describe the Vuelta's style and character?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Every grand tour has its own character and style and once you understand that, you can understand who is likely to be a contender, what they need to do to win, where the other opportunities are for people not chasing the GC etc.

I get this with the TDF, but not the Vuelta. So, what is its character, what kind of rider does it suit? It seems like it’s skewed more towards the climbers, with rolling stages from early on in the schedule.

How would you describe it?

Lifer
    Free Member

As with all grand tours it depends on the route.

atlaz
    Free Member

If I was being cynical, I’d have said that the same way that the TdF this year removed the bias towards climbers (i.e. Contador and Schleck) to keep it more interesting, I think the Vuelta this year was made to favour the local boys who love their climbing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

For reference how would you describe the style and character of the TDF and Giro?

warton
    Free Member

I think the Vuelta has always been a bit of the ugly duckling out of the three grand tours, and has suffered with its date being moved. It’s also always been a bit chaotic, and poorly organized, so to make up for that the new thinking seems to be make it as crazy as possible these last couple of years. Insane climbs day after day, stages that include circuits of town centre’s etc, and it seems to be working, best Grand tour this year by a country mile.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

TdF = Relentless media juggernaut.
    Giro = Style over substance.
    Vuelta = A local race for local riders.

Speshpaul

Vuelta, more like a (spanish) club run. The Tour ia a massive slick machine, which has its good and bad points. the Giro has managed not to be slick whilst still being orginised. The Vuelta is a bit mickey mouse, but still the better for it.
    this years route has been swung very much in favour of the locals, but it keeps it different.

atlaz
    Free Member

The only thing that let the Vuelta down in recent years was the shitty TV quality. As they’re using the ASO for their website you think they’d ask them for some TV cameras too.

tinsy
    Free Member

Dunno, first time I have taken an interest in Vuelta, & its been stunning.

I will make sure I catch all 3 next year.

MrSparkle

Likewise. I couldn’t analyse it’s character but there has been some great racing. I’ve really enjoyed it so far, plus some of it has been where we were on holiday recently.

colournoise

Tdf – corporate
    Giro – shallow
    Vuelta – mental

slainte ❓ rob

hilldodger
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    How would you describe it?

Cynical Eurodopers gang up on plucky Brit……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How would you describe the Vuelta's style and character?’ is closed to new replies.