Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How would this work?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Front brake lever runs both brake calipers. Brake bias dial to set the normal bias, then use the left hand lever to vary the bias towards the rear instantaneously.

Would that work, or be not?

Rode with a bust back brake today and realised that balancing the brakes isn’t as important add u thought.

Not saying it’s a better system, just wondering if it would work ok.

wiggles
    Free Member

Not sure it would work very well as the levers are designed to operate one brake so not sure they would displace enough fluid to apply pressure to two brakes…

by no means am I in anyway and engineer though…

JAG

Should work fine – IF you redesign the levers to make it work of course.

Cars and some motorbikes have linked brake systems and by using the second lever to shift the bias toward the rear brake you should get the best of both worlds.

It would feel a bit strange. Mainly because shifting bias to the rear, via the second lever, would need some clever valves or electronics. That would probably make the right lever feel a bit strange when you were braking and shifting bias.

It might work but I can’t see any advantage and it would just be added complexity 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m sure it could be made to work if someone really wanted to.

Not sure why they would want to though 😉

Sounds too complicated for no gain.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe its not important to balance braking for bimbling but when racing its pretty essential.

rickon
    Free Member

Whats the problem we’re trying to solve?

wiggles
    Free Member

Only reason I can really see to do it would be for one armed mountain bikers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seen it for one armed riders, hope made one. It was a predefined balance though.

Brake balance is very important for me.

Olly
    Free Member

Am i not correct in thinking that some rally drivers have their brakes set up with a rear bias, so that they can effectively handbrake turn around corners without having to use the handbrake?

I was going to send you a link to a one armed downhiller setup, but i couldnt be bothered.

You COULD do it, yes no problem, but im not sure why you would. In all honesty is sounds rubbish. when you brake hard, the biased would be what? front 70%? then the fork dives, the rear lifts and slips? or worse your front wheel slips and goes to wash out, but you cant release it without releasing the rear as well?
    you are still using two levers, so why make one lever dependent on the other lever? you would have to think about power on one hand, and bias on the other? I think brake bias would be very very important myself.

One lever for both brakes i could maybe understand, for lazy city bikes, or roadies, but even then, do you need your other hand for something?

trail_rat
    Free Member

What makes you think roadies dont need independant brake control.

Different road surfaces , different circumstances , different weather all require different methods of braking.

Lazy city bikes should get back pedal brakes but iirc that contravines british standards, works fine in holland , but then most things bike are better in holland just because your not on the road system.

Trekster

Sure Hope have done this for guys with disabilities. Guy from Keswick rides with one good arm and a specialy adapted one for his missing limb, certain he has an adapted system.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

This is a crap idea… I to doesn’t reduce the work load or the ammount of leavers and what happens when you suddenly realise you need to need one brake more than the other.

For example you want to make a turn but you are going too fast so you lock the rear so it slides and the bike rotates more allowing you to make the corner?

or

You are on fast descent and you suddenly find that the front digs in and you get that “oh shit if I don’t let go of this front brake now so this front wheel rotates quickly then I’m leaving in an air ambulance feeling”

bencooper
    Free Member

Lazy city bikes should get back pedal brakes but iirc that contravines british standards, works fine in holland , but then most things bike are better in holland just because your not on the road system.

As long as you’ve got two independent braking systems, it’s fine. That’s the problem you’d run into here, the brakes wouldn’t be independent so it wouldn’t pass EN14766 (it’s not British Standards any more).

I built bikes with paired braking systems all the time – the tandem trike I’m building at the moment has twin front discs operated off one lever, rear disc off the other lever. And a rear V-brake with parking lock for the stoker.

Northwind

I’ve seen a couple of adapted one-hand mtb brake setups but they all use independent levers- and not talking about bodging things, some well thought out designs.

I can see a place for it but I wouldn’t ride a bike with linked brakes, especially not offroad.

nealglover
    Free Member

One lever for both brakes i could maybe understand, for lazy city bikes, or roadies, but even then, do you need your other hand for something?

Texting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How would this work?’ is closed to new replies.