Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • how would i go about playing my guitar through my pc?
  • racefaceec90

hava an old (11 year old dell 1.8ghz pc,kindly given to me by my friend salvador).was planning on getting an amp (currently don’t have my own guitar/amp,borrowed electric guitar).have just read on musicradar about someone just using their pc to practice at home.that has piqued my interest.would it be feasible to do this (i.e cheaper).can you get good cheap/free software for amps/effects e.t.c i was planning on saving for a vox vt 20+ amp when funds allow,but as i only play at home the pc idea sounds great.what do you think? thanks in advance 🙂

Cougar

Mate of mine does something very similar. I’ll crib him for ideas if you like.

racefaceec90

that would be great cougar.thanks 😀 i was thinking that i could possibly get some guitar software that would have a lot more amps/effects for the money of the vox/less money/free (that’s what is getting my interest).being a cheapskate 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

you need some kind of interface, they often come with suitable amp/modelling software.
    Mine’s a Behringer UCG102, which is USB and has guitar-in and headphones out sockets, both 1/4in jacks; came with some amp & modelling software, cost about £50 from Maplin or cheaper on fleabay. Other models are available for more, and sometimes less, money.

one caveat though. your average tinny computer speakers will probably not be up to the job…

mikey74
    Free Member

I used software called “Guitar Tracks”, that is basically a digital mixing desk, coupled with a standard microphone, although a proper USB mic would work better.

I’d love to have the time to play around with it more often, as it seems a really good bit of software. It even comes with amp simulators, a basic drum machine, effects etc etc.

Edit: I forgot to add that I played through my practice amp and set up the mic to get the best sound.

racefaceec90

cheers everyone.that behringer guitar link looks ideal.will look on internet about it.the guitar tracks also looks great,but my pc wouldn’t be able to run it properly (not powerful enough)

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest, one of the reasons I stopped using it in the first place was because the lappy I was using it on kept on freezing while I was playing.

You do need a decent ‘puter.

Kunstler

Hardware – an audio interface that you can plug your guitar into and then connect to your pc. This is the one my son uses with his laptop:

Behringer UCA202

It’s pretty basic – but it’s only £22 and does the job. Crucially, it has drivers that mean you don’t have any latency. Meaning that if you just plugged a guitar straight into a PCs input you would hear back what you play maybe a second or two after you played it.

On the drivers and downloads page they have download links for a ton of free software – including voxengo amp simulators. Sequencers, audio editors and synths/instruments there too.

Fill yer boots

If you get into it then you might think about some cheap monitors. Do you have a keyboard? I know you were asking about virtual synths the other day. Make some music – it’s good for the soul.

Good luck.

racefaceec90

thanks again everyone.have looked at the behringer usb connector on youtube and it sounds ideal (plus reasonably priced 🙂 Kunstler unfortunately haven’t got a keyboard but did download some synth programs (fruit loops 9/fl9 and some recommended ones on musicradar) have no idea how to use them though 😳 (am a beginner at all this) 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Just one thing I forgot to mention about the UCG thing – as it is effectively an external sound card, it WILL disconnect the onboard soundcard; you need to plug either headphones or some powered walkman type speakers into the headphone socket, or you won’t hear a thing. You also need to reboot after you plug it in or unplug it

Kunstler

There are tutorials on just about every piece of audio software. There must be some free ones available on the net – actually, I imagine there’s quite a few on youtube to get you started.

I don’t know if they still do it but Computer Music magazine used to come with a DVD that had all the component applications of a software studio – all freeware and with tutorials in the mag and online and with support on the forum. That forum is now Music Radar so have a hunt around on their site.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘how would i go about playing my guitar through my pc?’ is closed to new replies.