Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • how would a 2009 stumpjumper ride compared to a 2012 camber??
  • westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hi,
    I`m considering buying my first full suspension frame, having blasted around quite happily up until now on hardtails with 130mm forks. I went to Morzine for a week with Alpine Elements,and hired one of their camber comps and rode it very, very hard. In short I loved the bike in the medium size- despite several scary moments where i confused the basic ario shock on fast open sections over braking bumps, it was far more capable and chuckable than I ever expected a 120mm bike to be.
    Camber elite and pro frames that have come up recently with the fox shock have gone for a lot of money, so what I want to know from people whove ridden all these bikes is just how similar a 2009 120mm stumpjumper would be to a 2012 camber? Ive checked the geometry and dimensions on the specialized website, and they look almost identical. Knowing that people will pay a premium for the latest model (and that the camber with its inline shock is probably in most peoples eyes better looking), does it make more sense to buy the older frame if I find one in good condition? And now the big second question- should I step up and buy the 140mm stumpjumper instead of either of these in the hope that I`ll find it is even more of a do-it-all bike, or would I find the xc capability of the camber that I enjoyed so much on the big black run around the back of Les Gets compromised by the extra travel, burliness and slackness?
    I know you lot love to get stuck into this kind of debate, so what do you think??

brickwizard
    Free Member

Go for the stumpjumper fsr. Great do it al bike

Swalsey
    Free Member

I’m experienced in all of these bikes and have owned a 2004, 2008 and 2012 Stumpy. The 2009 stumpy will ride almost identical to the cambers, so I’d get a stumpy frame if it is cheaper.

If you can get a 140mm stumpy you’ll find it more capable and equal fun IMO, but definitely a bit faster on rough downhills and the likes of the Alps downhills.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Swalsey, I think I might actually prefer the look of the old stumpy to the new camber anyway, maybe the hard part would be to find one that is in good condition. Good to hear that you think the two frames would ride almost identical, thats kind of what I expected (and wanted haha) to hear. Having ridden the camber in some pretty severe territory, i think 120mm might be all i actually need given my limited ability and general lack of speed. Thanks to both of you guys for your input.

james
    Free Member

maybe also look for 2008 SJ FSRs as IIRC they’re the same as 2009 models

IIRC as stock all came with 120mm forks, except for the second from bottom 2009 that came with a 100-120-140mm fox talas

Swalsey
    Free Member

You’re welcome mate!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The 120 stumpy’s are still very good. Mine got me down the Fort William red DH in under 15 mins and despite having demoed loads of other bikes in the last few years, I’ve not found anything substantially better. It’s only on it’s second set of bearings, and the shock hasn’t been serviced yet.

Thoroughly recommended. (2007 Stumpy Pro)

ampthill

Supporting question?

Should Westcoastmassive be looking at a 120mm FSR xc?

renton
    Free Member

no he shouldn’t !

Try and get a nice stumpjumper elite frame from 2009 as they look pretty good in white

Tracey

Bike Scene have some good offers on Specialized frames

stevede
    Free Member

Bike scene have 2011 camber pro frames in stock for about £700-£800 iirc. Don’t think you’ll go wrong with either frame to be honest.

stevede
    Free Member

Oops posted without reading the last post, ignore me, I’ll get my coat….

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

renton you were a bit harsh on ampthill there haha, i guess you didnt agree with his suggestion one little bit!! i agree with you about the 08/09 stumpjumpers looking good in white, there was a nice looking one went on ebay last night as a full bike and i was hovering over the bid button but re-engaged my brain just in time. i tried to justify it but i dont need another full bike, it would just complicate matters and end in a messy divorce! im going to be patient and keep my beady eyes open for a 120mm stumpjumper frame in good nick, and if a new model 140mm one should just happen to come along in the meantime and distract me ill grab it while the going`s good. cheers for all your input folks, this has helped a lot.

ampthill

No offence taken

My memory was that the 120mm FSr Xc was almost the same as the 120mm stump jumper, assuimng you get the fox shock

but if I’m wrong, I’m wrong

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-specialized-bicycles-stumpjumper-fsr-expert-08-28016

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-specialized-bicycles-fsr-xc-pro-09-33623

olliechambers1
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a 2009 Stumpjumper look at this:

http://www.totalfitnessbath.co.uk/product-p/2009-specialized-stumpjumper-p.htm

It’s the American Pro version with an alloy frame and the brain shock. They’re brand new and have never been used, they come with full warranty and everything. I bought one a couple of months ago and it’s great!
    A definite barging at £540 seeing as its brand new.
    Unfortunately they only have a few sizes left. I fit the 21″ quite comfortably and I’m 6 foot.
    I emailed them and they charged me the ‘amount you save’ instead of the sale price by mistake 😉
    If you wanna see some pictures of mine look here:

http://olliechambers1.pinkbike.com/album/2009-Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Pro-Custom-Build/

Hope that helps you out!

olliechambers1
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘how would a 2009 stumpjumper ride compared to a 2012 camber??’ is closed to new replies.