Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How would a 11-46 and a 30t compare too…
  • tpoles95
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking at the new xt 11-46 on CRC, I just don’t know how to work out, and what size chainring will be most suitable. also how close this will match to my 11-36 with a 22-36 on the front in terms of range.

appreciate if anyone could help

Tom

alexxx
    Free Member

Can’t help sorry but I’m fairly unfit and 32 on the front and 46 on the back on fairly steep fire roads feels fine.. if you needed to go any slower you’d be going backwards.. I know that doesn’t help particularly but I think you’ll find that gear slightly light and will more likely miss the downhill speed rather than the up

qtip

Divide the number of teeth on the chainring by the number of teeth on the cassette sprocket – the lower the result, the easier the gear.

simondbarnes

You’ll have a higher bottom gear and a lower top gear. Whether this will be an issue then only you can tell. If you need the same bottom gear that you currently have then a 28t chainring will do it but then you lose even more from the top end.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Your current lowest gear is 22/36 = 0.61 x wheel size. To match that with a 46T cassette you’d need a 0.61 x 46 ~ 28T chainring. A 30T chainring instead will mean you have a lowest gear a bit less than 10% harder than your current lowest gear.

Your current highest gear is 36/11 – to match this you’d obviously need a 36T chainring. So with a 30T you’d be losing more like 20% off the highest gear on the bike.

Current range is 36/11 to 22/36 ~ 535%. 11-46 has a 418% range. Whether you lose that mostly from the top end or mostly from the bottom end depends on whether you go 30, 32 or 34T. 32T will mean you lose roughly equal amounts top and bottom.

kayak23

My first thought is, don’t get the xt. It has a massive jump to the top ring. 37-46 or something I think. Get the Sunrace.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am about to fit a Sunrace 11-46 cassette that only £50, much cheaper than Shimano.

asbrooks

Get yourself the AB 30t oval, you won’t need to go to the 28T chainring. The oval ring will smooth out your pedal stroke.

birky
    Free Member
    tillydog
    Free Member

I find the e-13 9-44t works well with a 32t front for a decent spread

postierich
    Free Member

How is that Sunrace Dish Tom 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How would a 11-46 and a 30t compare too…’ is closed to new replies.