Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How worn do you let your tyres get before changing?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I have a spesh butcher and it’s edges are getting rounded.

ampthill

I don’t think of it as wear simply the tyre becoming more summer orientated

tomhoward

When I’m not sure if what I’m seeing is tyre or tube.

Though may have to rethink this strategy as I’ve gone tubeless for mtb 😕

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure we did this earlier in the week.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Onza dog you didn’t have to post…

garage-dweller

They usually end up ripped before worn out ime. Chunky bloke, steel hardtail, sometimes flinty trails, lowish pressures often = tears.

Northwind

Depends on the tyre, some go crap when a bit worn, others keep being useful. As long as a butcher’s got decent sideknobs it’ll do a job but some tyres (mostly schwalbes) lose tons of grip when the knobs wear, and some others depend on the sipes (once a nevegal’s centre blocks look like a single block, most of the grip’s gone)

kcal

I borrowed a mate’s bike the other month when I was on holiday. It’s the first time I’ve seen (in recent times) tyres which were cracked / perished around the edges, with great tread in the middle; I don’t think he uses it much 🙂

oldnick

The last Rocket Ron wore down through the sticky rubber to something very slippery underneath, cue comedy wheelspins whilst crossing streams or clambering up rocky trails. All the side knobs were torn too, and there were a couple of repaired cuts.

At that point it retired to the pub (bike).

nick1962
    Free Member

Worn front tyre becomes a summer front tyre,then a rear tyre, then when really worn , a summer rear tyre.
    BTW I checked the weights of all my tyres the other day and the worn ones were that light they would have made a weight weenie wee.

hairyscary

This is about when a front tyre gets relegated to the rear for me.

IMAG0719 by MattNSmith, on Flickr

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How worn do you let your tyres get before changing?’ is closed to new replies.