Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How windy is too windy?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Itching to get out on Exmoor on the bike tomorrow but current forecast is 40-50mph winds. Im imagining lots of branches coming down with these sort of winds? Or am I worrying for no reason?

Poopscoop

Compete judgment call mate to be honest.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Your call fellah, but cycling into a 50 mph headwind (or crosswind) is definitely ‘Type 2’ fun.

fifeandy
    Free Member

20 mph is about my limit on road, 25-30 off road.

Wookster

That’s too much I’d say mate!

jakehinton
    Free Member

Yeah I was thinking I would avoid the open moors and stick to the valleys but then realised that would mean being under the trees pretty much the whole time. Don’t really want a branch landing on my head!

Wookster

https://flic.kr/p/UefEx

Can’t get the pics to post from Flickr or photo bucket must be tired!!

Gunz
    Free Member

I went out on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago in those sort of winds, let’s just say it was quite amusing but I did initially get blown off the road and into a ditch. Not having to pedal uphill was fun.

chevychase

Did south to North Wales in last year’s hurricane in February.

Man up. It’s all good. 🙂

*though I thought I’d actually die in the gap on the Brecon Beacons as night fell, I could barely stand let alone ride and the rain and hail came down hard. Sometimes I make bad choices :/

antigee

40mph average winds for last years Melbourne Around the Bay in a Day ride
    with gusts to 50mph – hard work and felt a bit like a future apocalypse riding through blacked out neighbourhoods with fallen trees across the roads

take care

allow a bit of extra time (or a lot if you’re getting others home! thats my excuse)

ridewithgps didn’t offer a cookie or high five – just disbelief:

ahsat

fifeandy +1

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

~20mph WSW winds here this morning, going to be a fun commute in shortly, I’d love to have a live stream of Itchen Bridge to laugh at cyclists heading into the city against that brutal headwind! 😆

Personally, I’d draw the line at ~30+mph winds, depending upon the tree density.

funkmasterp

Wind is the worst weather for cycling. Rain, sleat, snow all good, but strong winds no

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How windy is too windy?’ is closed to new replies.