Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How well sign-posted is Innerleithen XC route?
  • AB
    Free Member

Did it about 3 years ago with some firends, but not done it since and I’m wondering if it’s well enough sign-posted to give it a go?

Another quick question – the time I did it, we got to a section of fire road about 75% of the way round where there was a section of fire road where you could go left or right. Most went right, which apparently was a quicker route back to the carpark, but a few of us took the fire road to the left back up to a hill (about a 10-15min push) which took us up to the top of a downhill section where you enter a wooded area on the right then you come out through the woods and you are on an exposed section on the hill side (I seem to remember you could do a descent to the left or the right). I think that then led to Caddon Bank.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Question is – is that extra bit we pushed up, part of the XC route or part of the Downhill route? Seem to remember it being quite good fun!

Any help will be much appreciated!

PJ266
    Free Member

Its Well sign posted. That extra bit you did was “make or brake” one of the DH routes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We did it a few weeks ago and the only occasion we had to ask was right at the start in the car park, but otherwise it was straightforward right to the summit trig. and down again. The only other place we weren’t sure was at the top of the Caddon Bank descent, we weren’t sure if it was the XC descent or some extreme DH line.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Its well posted enough as I didn’t get lost or even wondered if I was on the right route….

Sounds like you did the last bit of the DH before Caddon Bank to me. It rushes through the trees and pops you out into a very exposed hill site then you can go 2 ways, double D’s or make or brake.

I prefer Make or Brake. than Double D.

IMO miss out the section that’s dead rock garden ish. Forget the name though. Its off to the right of a fire road by a gate.

We always go straight on then uphill up a fire road until we meet the section section of DH.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

If you’re doing the xc route I’d def recommend going right to the top and not taking the signposted shortcut which avoids minchers make (or whatever it’s called :?:) – the dh from the summit is one of the best of the lot, really fast and swoopy.

Kramer
    Free Member

The last bit down to the start is pretty good as well.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Minch moor, not minchers make

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hopefully this isnt a hijack. I am going to be riding Innerleithen probably week after next. I was going to do Minch Moor and then round and down Caddon Bank, although the fact that it is half a downhill route suggests I may need new brake pads once I am down. I assume there are no dangers there for me assuming I roll or bypass all the jumpy bits on Caddon Bank?

PJ266
    Free Member

Its not half a downhill route, caddon banks an xc descent. You wont need new pads and you can bypass any drops that are un-rollable no problemo 😀

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah cheers PJ – on my official map it is half red/half orange. Can’t wait to give it a go!

PJ266
    Free Member

You’ll love it, the xc at inners is top notch!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Good stuff. I had a great day today with Forge up at Mabie, and was planning to do Innerleithen on Thursday, but as Forge and I are at Kirroughtree Saturday I was worried I wouldn’t have the legs for it after Inners. If Tuesday’s ride either doesnt happen or is fairly short, I may give it a go this Wednesday, thus displacing Drumlanrig till the week after. Got that? : )

PJ266
    Free Member

Lucky man, Mabie’s a nice route. I’m stuck in Norfolk, boo hiss etc.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I am in between “projects” staying at my parents in Dumfries for a few weeks with nothing to do but ride! Hurrah! Not too sure if I shoulf go to Newcastleton though as I have never ridden it. Am probably best off doing something like Dalbeattie or Drumlanrig again?

PJ266
    Free Member

Never been to Newcastleton (or Dalbeattie for that matter) Its always better to ride somewhere different! Everyone i’ve talked to rates Dalbeattie highly, worth a trip if im up there?

simonralli2
    Free Member

PJ – absolutely – it is sweet as right now although there is one diversion. Most people do both Mabie and Dalbettie in a single day but I haven’t got the legs for 2 Stanes in one day.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

all the stanes have maps and are well signposted.

Take the map with you and check where you are on the route versus the numbered signposts and then you can make the best riding decisions i.e I know where i am and i want to go to the top of this next black run or avoid it at all costs etc..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

PJ, Dalbeattie is my favourite, it’s an XC route, but has lots of technical challenges all the way round and most of them are actually worthy of a black grading.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How well sign-posted is Innerleithen XC route?’ is closed to new replies.