Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How unfit am I.
  • Raincheck
    Free Member

Went to Queen Elizabeth Country Park a couple of days ago. I couldn’t even make it all the way up the hill on the easy trail without stopping. There realy is no hope for me.

One positive; I realise that there is no point of getting a new full susser if I struggle that much on a XC biased hardtail.

kendo954
    Free Member

Time on the bike mate, keep at it and it will all come together

float
    Free Member

so? next week itll be easier, the week after that itll be easier again. youll be competing in no time 😀

good thing about fitness is that youre not stuck with whatever fitness youve currently got.

Saccades
    Free Member

Do a little and often to get back into it – try 30mins every other night.

Kryton57

New bike syndrome will give you 150% performance increase FACT!

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks for the support,I wish it was just getting back in to it. I try to get out every week if work allows. I generally do 20 or so miles, but as soon as I see a long hill it all goes pear shaped.

A couple of years ago I went to see my GP about something. While I was there I said “how come my legs feel like they’re on fire when I climb just a couple of flights of stairs? He said “you’ve got Granddad Legs”. Cheeky barsteward, I’m on 46 now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so? next week itll be easier, the week after that itll be easier again. youll be competing in no time

It never gets easier it just gets faster [ Jens ]

As others note the more you ride the more you can get up

Klunk
    Free Member

so? next week itll be easier, the week after that itll be easier again.

Lies and more Lies it never gets easier 👿 😉

drat and double drat beaten to it 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Heh – I’m 16 stone and a bit and hate hills.

I’ve noticed a massive difference actually practising on hills, I have a long climb on my commute and it’s certainly helped having to drag my arse up on a regular basis. That and timing myself a bit.

Cycling on relatively flat stuff is too easy.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I went to see my GP about something. While I was there I said “how come my legs feel like they’re on fire when I climb just a couple of flights of stairs?

Try doing the stairs straight after a ride when you’re properly warmed up. Hopefully it’ll feel a lot easier then.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Its not about being warmed up, unfortunately. Its all to do with the build up of lactic acid, and how your body gets rid of it. Although my legs burn going up stairs, as soon as I’ve walked a few meters on the flat, it all goes away. It’s just like riding hills, you’ve just got to keep at it I guess

mrmo
    Free Member

first, hills hurt, do not quit! if it hurts so be it, do not walk, ride until you fall off.

I know it sounds harsh but the only way to get fit is to push yourself, but remember fitness comes from rest not activity. So don’t ride yourself into the ground day after day.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This is bollox. I can climb any hill without breaking a sweat if I want to.

But I know what he’s getting at though.

Wookster

QE when wet is a pain, and the easy trail climb is tough, ESP the section off the gravel track up the clack single track? That tough going in this weather, chill enjoy the ride and you’ll nail it in no time mate

This….

Kryton57 – Member
    New bike syndrome will give you 150% performance increase FACT!

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

…..is in fact 125% correct it’s in the Internet and everything…..
    8)

federalski
    Free Member

Remember where you got off this time and make it further next time, even if it is only by a few metres.

Stick a branch in the ground if need be, or remember the lampost, tree, sign or whatever you got off at and go past it next time.

Keep progressing further and you will make it soon enough.
    It’ll hurt but the hurt will go away.

Raincheck
    Free Member

That’s the section Wookster. That whole climb was a killer. Never ridden there before. I think the wheels trebled in weight with all the clag they picked up.

Taff
    Free Member

I know the hill and in these conditions I wouldn’t worry. Last year I stopped several times. That place becomes horrendous in the winter months. If you stop once I can guarantee you won’t stop when it starts drying

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Raincheck – what do you do for a living?

HermanShake
    Free Member

There realy is no hope for me.

Nope.

Just keep on keepin’ on. Improvement won’t always be obvious but after a few weeks a it it will be easier. Then get a new bike in the Jan sales!

I’ve found my past couple of rides a lot harder due to; not riding enough lately (deadlines), the leaves hiding the roots and my genius idea to go 1×9. The front mech’s going back on! The mudfest has not been helping matters.

Each time it gets hard you can push through for a little bit, that’s a win. Focus on what you can do, not what you didn’t 😀

Euro
    Free Member

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE TEST
    ——————————————–

Question 8.

What exactly made you stop?

[_] Lungs
    [_] Legs
    [_] Head
    [_] Other*

* Please specify

Raincheck
    Free Member

Legs: 75%
    Lungs: 25%
    Or possibly, Head: 100%

DezB
    Free Member

Crap climb, with no bloody reward! Next time do the red trail 🙂

racefaceec90

don’t worry,i am unfit also (have been for a fair while 😳
    as long as you enjoy riding your bike,you’ll get fitter.there’s no crime at all in stopping if you are knackered.it will get better the more you ride your bike 🙂

good luck 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Greg Lemond.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How unfit am I.’ is closed to new replies.