Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How tough is Helitape
  • haribojangles
    Free Member

I recently helitaped the chainstay on my bike and it looks really good and after a ride yesterday it is still there and sticking well but i was wondering how much abuse it can actually take from chainslap. by the end of the ride it was covered in little oily marks which all rubbed off easily but ho does it do in the long run or is it a good idea to put something else over the top.

tamedearth
    Free Member

if it is proper heli-tape (3M) and applied well, it should last a few years!

organic355
    Free Member

what is heli-tape and what is it used for? frame protection right?

Do you put it all over the bike or just where cables rub, under down tube etc?

andyl
    Free Member

it is called heli tape because they use polyurethane based tapes to protect the leading edges of helicopter main rotor and tail blades from stones and sand erosion. Metallic leading edges do not last long in the desert.

PU is very, very resistant to erosion and yes it will survive very well for chain slap but I prefer a thick neoprene or inner tube protection to reduce the noise and soften the impact which can still cause dents.

The main area for helitape on a bike frame is cable rub areas. Also use it where your clothes may rub (eh top tube) or where stone chips can happen – eg down tube and heals may rub – eg non-drive side chainstay and crank arms.

Helicopters use some stuff that is much thicker but also stuff that is much thinner so the thickness of bike stuff is fine. It won’t really protect against dents so use some thicker protection with more cushioning if that is your aim. I use a modified helitape on my carbon down tube and an inner tube on my chainstay (will fit a neoprene one when I can find one big enough).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How tough is Helitape’ is closed to new replies.