Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How tough is carbon fibre frames? creaking after a big one
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Totally had a big accident today, frame is creaking when ridden, rear mech missaligned, RHS shifter hanging on…headset vibrating.

I rang some bike shops but they reckon it will be fine.
    My insurance company just said get a few quotes and let us know.

I don't want to ride a bike that will snap on me thats all.

(It was a hell of an accident but luckily nobody permantly hurt thank god and it was not my fault either.)

cynic-al
    Free Member

The shards have probably made it into your heart already!

midlifecrashes

Get a straight edge out (or a taut piece of string) and start sizing it up for twists. Take the wheels and chain off and start pulling at the frame, if it's cracked you'll soon find it. Main thing is you're in good enough state to post about it. Pics will be demanded soon though.

rs
    Free Member

I demand pics! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

mandatory creak from a boardman perhaps – yours has perhaps just been faulty till now – the widget probably just got dislodged in the crash

Junkyard
    Free Member

kasae will test it fot you.
    As above take aprt measure pull see what happens at least you are ok

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

I'm glad the 3rd party has not broken any bones but just battered.

I kept my cool, gave 1st aid and organised ambulance from my med training.

Now home, gave police report, have number for insurance company to sort out repair or new frame etc.

My head hurts, twisted leg, grazes and bruised but MTFU except my left nut burns a bit from the top bar when I walk 👿

2 witnesses called me and are on my side-one said you were very slow compared to most riders and rang your bell when you went past us and the 3rd party ran across you without looking. But will claim on my own insurance but I will be out £60 excess and new cleats, new setup but £100 is nothing against some 3rd party who could have been permenantly injured (I'm ok paying even though my insurer reckons I could claim against but I don't think that will be fair to them after all the injuries they had.)

Eating ice cream and thank my lucky stars but no sportive next week and no bloody bike!

Blaming my GF who said go for a nice relaxing ride…doh!

dmiller
    Free Member

2 witnesses called me and are on my side-one said you were very slow compared to most riders and rang your bell when you went past us and the 3rd party ran across you without looking.

Oh nightmare – that could have been different! Good show on using the bell etc!

Hope your ok!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You can get cracks in carbon frames repaired for approx £40 a crack. Saves a new frame.

wwaswas

once you make a claim it will be your insurers who deciee whether to try and recover their loses from this 3rd party, not you.

your insurance company will say 'why shoudl we foot the bill for you being a nice chap' and stiff the other person for all they can get out of them.

it's unfortunate but it's the way things work.

if this is an insurance claim then I'd get the bike to the shop you bought it from/nearest dealer and let them sort it out – anythign you do to 'test' the frame is not going to convince the insurers one way or another.

zaskar
    Free Member

Just been talking to NHS about dizzy spells and headache, stiff neck looks minor whiplash-sods law and I have a report to hand in on Friday!

Gawd my head, glad the other person is ok, now I want to throw mini pump at them.

MTFU with paracetamol.

TooTall
    Free Member

zaskar – Member

Now I know who you are.

*squints*

wwaswas

Zaskar – I know you're trying to be nice to the other person about this but you really ought to make sure you have a full assessment of your injuries and the damage to the bike before you progress much further.

If you do have any long term issues (and I hoep you don't) you need to make sure you have done the ground work with regartds to medical assesment of your injuries etc asap – it wil lhelp any case you *may* chose to present in the future.

headache and dizzy – I'd get off to a&e and make sure it is just whiplash…

zaskar
    Free Member

It took you a while Tootall (Waves) :mrgreen:

Wasawas- yeah I know I guess I felt really sorry for her as she was in tears. I'll wait till 2morro see how I am but my insurance forms are being posted so I'll have a clear head when they arrive and see how I physically am. Not what I need though! but poop happens.

Now I have a stiff neck and headache-off to get some ice and cold shower on my head.

Oh well at least the ride was fun and weather was nice.

Ride safe folks!

wwaswas

hope it all works out for you zaskar.

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks for the postive vibes folks! 🙂

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I'm assuming you were assessed for a spinal injury at the scene?

I hope you are feeling better soon.

zaskar
    Free Member

No, I guess I wanted to make sure the other plonker was ok and then the ambulance team left with 3rd party in wheelchair.

I got up and fixed the bike enough to get home.

Nurse said as my eyes were ok it was a minor whiplash with headache at drop in centre, to ring them if I was bad in the morning.

hitman
    Free Member

must admit after reading your last three threads there does seem to be a pattern emerging 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks Hitman 🙄

This was the accident with the Pedestrian!

I was going to pay for my frame to be fixed but its not worth taking the risk.

Only until my insurance company said I might not be covered for the accessories and helmet I smashed I only then considered taking legal action.

And no I didn't sue the Uni, I just had physio and 2 months of Gym work and 200kg leg presses.

The only time I have claimed is when I was hit from behind while sitting traffic jam and the car ploughed into me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How tough is carbon fibre frames? creaking after a big one’ is closed to new replies.