Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How Tough is Ben Rinnes
  • roverpig

I’ve only been riding off road for a few months (after many years on road bikes) and am still trying to decide what sort of riding I like.

I quite like the idea of big mountains and living in Scotland I have quite a few to choose from. But I’ve got a lot to learn in terms of off road skills and don’t particularly enjoy scaring the crap out of myself. I also prefer to ride on my own, so don’t want to bite off too much too soon and get myself into trouble.

I took the bike up Ben Rinnes yesterday. That’s took rather than rode! There was a fair bit of pushing on the way up and I wimped out of some of the rock step sections on the way down (after falling on one). I did manage to ride a couple though and enjoyed the trip, despite getting 4 punctures on the 2 mile descent! All pinch flats! Guess I need to either put more air in the tyres or learn to jump those water bars a bit better (or both).

Anyway, I’m just wondering how Ben Rinnes compares with other Scottish mountains. If Munro riders generally think of it as a piece of piss then I guess I’d better wait until I’m comfortable riding all the way up and down before tacking anything bigger.

Cheers,

Andy

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve walked up/down Ben Rinnes and all of the Munros.

99% of Munros are tougher.

roverpig

OK, so that still leaves three that I could ride 🙂

Seriously, thanks that’s useful to know. I’ve hiked a few munros, but find it pretty hard to judge what they’d be like on a bike. Not that I’m particularly wedded to munros. Just fancy dong a few more proper hills, but Ben Rinnes is probably a good guide as to the technical level that I’d be comfortable with. Obviously a bigger mountain would take longer, which is fine, but wouldn’t fancy anything much steeper.

Cheers

Andy,

druidh
    Free Member

You should read, and keep an eye on, this thread…

Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros

swavis

Having ridden down Ben Rinnes a few times, (it’s very local 😉 ) I would say it’s not far off Carn Ban Mor in terms of difficulty. The water bars on Ben Rinnes are a nightmare though. What makes Ben Rinnes relatively easy is that it’s a fairly short walk/shove up.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s quite steep on the top half and as swavis says some of the water bars are big. I’ve done easier descents! There’s a landy track that cimbs up the south of the hill to the summit – access via the road between Dufftown and Glenlivit. It’s loose and steep and is tough to ride. Makes the ride a loop though, if that’s your thing!

roverpig

Thanks Folks,

It was that “put the mountains into mountain biking” thread that got me thinking about riding some of the bigger hills around here.

I found a couple of routes on Carn Ban Mor on the MTBTrails site, so I’ll put them on the list to tackle one day, thanks.

Glad it’s not just me who finds those water bars on Ben Rinnes tough. I’ve been popping over water bars on Bennachie for a few months and thought I’d got the hand of them, but four punctures on one short descent would suggest otherwise.

Cheers,

Andy

Lakes_Puma

I thought he was the guy from Pulp Fiction and Mission Impossible 😀

(sorry I couldn’t resist, as you were)

rob13380
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Im coming up to Scotland next week and bringing my rig up, family live in Dufftown so was hoping to get out and ride a bit.

Going to Laggan Wolftrax and Monster trails as these seem to look pretty good fun but also want to do Ben Rinnes as it only down the road, seen a route that leaves from Dufftown over both convals and up benrinnes, Im assuming this a doable route – or reading this thread and as its first time trying to tackle a “proper hill” would I be better just riding up and down Benrinnes?

Advice would be appreciated?

What are Water Bars???

Rob

scotroutes

Water Bars are those stone features in the path that let water run off rather than down the path. They vary in height/width enormously and it’s easy to puncture if you don’t judge your bunny-hopping correctly.

There’s still lots of snow around so you may not be bothered by them (or they could be hidden under soft snow so you only find out at the last minute 🙂 )

fasthaggis

What are Water Bars???

🙂

rob13380
    Free Member

Cheers guys finglers crossed it clears a bit up there before i set out, could be interesting ride ha ha

Which is the best way up then down – I was planning to go up from Beatshach car park via babys hill – then down via roys hill?

Good choice?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How Tough is Ben Rinnes’ is closed to new replies.