Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • how tough is a maxxis crossmark LUST 2.25?
  • el_boufador

I keep putting holes in my standard rear 2.35 high roller by smacking it into rocks and it is starting to annoy me a bit. I’m running tubeless and sealant, plenty of pressure in there without getting silly (40-45psi). Are the LUST tyres any tougher? More specifically the crossmark 2.35 as I fancy something fast-rolling.
    Other than these problems of late I really like Maxxis tyres. Alternatively what else should I look at from other manufacturers?

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Great tyres, i run them all Summer in Verbier without many flats. The sidewalls are perfect, the single ply one are rubbish though.

guitarhero
    Free Member

I ran one on the rear all last summer/autumn without incident. However I just put a terminal (for tubeless running) hole in the sidewall/bead interface.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have you seen the price of Maxxis UST tyres lately? Pennies only short of £50!

The ‘L’ in ‘LUST’ stands for ‘lightweight’ so draw your own conclusions but my experience is that the single ply versions of all Maxxis UST tyres, are still very susceptible to tearing, either on the side wall or the tread, if you’re using them some where rocky. You nick the carcass and that’s a £50 UST tyre that’s no longer UST.

But that’s just my experience. I tend to ride rocks pretty fast even if I do say so myself. The only tyres I don’t have problems with in that situaiton are the dual ply Maxxis tyres such as Cupid is recommending but you pay a hefty weight penaly for those.

jameso

I’ve used LUST tyres in the Alps and had no issues at all. General trail riding, DH runs at less than DH-hero speeds, rocky trails at scary speeds, etc. Good tyres. But they’re not DH-casing tyres.

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve had no luck at all with the LUST tyres – always split at the bead for me (I’ve had 4 LUST highrollers, and a LUST ignitor, all went the same way).

Back to full UST ones now and they are great.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

hmm, sidewall strength – a very topical subject for me too.

Flows & Stans jizz, riding Lakes, Peak, Calderdale, etc.
    Always been happy with SP ST Minnion on the front. No plan to change that end… just getting a bit fed up with ripping/pinching the sidewalls on the rear (and at 40psi).

Ran ADvantage LUST on the rear for the last 6 months or so but am now looking elsewhere as the sidewalls seem to be their weak point.

Currently, I’ve fitted an already heavily worn Halo Choirmaster UST, which I think should serve for the Summer. It’s not shown any sign of sidewall damage yet. Any deals spotted on these?

Any other suggestion for a tough rear tyre for tubeless? Think I’m drifting towards DP at the moment.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

great great tyre! im running a 2.25 ust on the back up the peak district! had it on about 1 month now and its been superb! i really really dont think they are that thin the sidewalls, certainly seem thick more durable than tubeless ready tyres imo….they seat with a track pump instantly are pretty amazing!

crossmark back, ignitor front! great combo at the mo!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Have you seen the price of Maxxis UST tyres lately? Pennies only short of £50!

The ‘L’ in ‘LUST’ stands for ‘lightweight’ so draw your own conclusions but my experience is that the single ply versions of all Maxxis UST tyres

shop about – i’ve just bought a 2.25 Crossmark LUST last month for £35, the 2.1 LUST version is about £31

but lightweight it is not, the sidewalls on all the LUST tyres i have used are nothing like the singleply tubed variety

it is heavier than the 2.25 Ardent LUST (810g) i run on the front – i think my 2.25 Crossmark LUST weighed in at 880g

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Run various LUST and they are the best tyres I have had on my Zesty. Run Ardent from and Crossmark rear LUST. Spain, Morocco trail centres Wales off piste. 20-25 front 25 -30 rear. Sealant Crest rims.

geetee1972
    Free Member

it is heavier than the 2.25 Ardent LUST (810g) i run on the front – i think my 2.25 Crossmark LUST weighed in at 880g

I think there’s quite a lot of variance in the weight of even the same tyre.

My Ardents (same size also LUST) weigh in at 900g!

Prices have apparently only just gone up so the shop that I spoke to said their newly delivered batch were the first at the new, inflated price.

RHSno2
    Free Member

I was happy with them and used them a lot intill ‘sidewall/bead interface.’ issue occured for tubeless. Then no more

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘how tough is a maxxis crossmark LUST 2.25?’ is closed to new replies.