• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How tough are stan crest rims?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a new wheelset for my full susser and I’d like them to be reasonably light.

They will take some abuse, but I am reasonably smooth and not that heavy. I’d need them to stand up to the odd case on a jump and small drops (no bigger than 5ft)

Would crests be up to the job? I’ve ran 317’s and have not had any problems with them, so I was thinking I might be able to go with crests.

bol

I’m a big heavy clumsy oaf and I haven’t managed to bend one. Having said that, I’m not much of a hucker. Maybe Arches, which are a tad heavier but a lot stronger might be a better option if you’re doing a lot of drops. Otherwise I’d say go for it.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d go for the new ‘Arch EX’. You don’t want Crest’s if you’re doing jumps or drops.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you think 5ft is a “small” drop I don’t think they’re the rim for you.

kudos100
    Free Member

I won’t be doing loads of jumping and drops on them, but they need to stand up to the odd bit of abuse.

I have a set of 512’s for downhill and jumps etc.

br
    Free Member

I’ve used a pair all year, not particularly careful rider, and everywhere from normal BW riding through to Glentress/Afan etc – no problems at all.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve used 355’s for 2 years on my FS and they’re fine for everything I ride including the likes of the freeride section @ Llandegla and the Peaks etc

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a set of wheels with crests and one with flows and swap them according to where I’ll be riding. It works really well for me.

The crest wheels (hope hoops) have held up fine to lots of little (like 3ft or 4ft) jumps and drops, they are definitely XC wheels though and I can feel them twang a bit on heavier landings.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a porker and my crests are holding up well. Their not down hill rims though, but if you’ve had no probs with 317’s you’ll be fine.

ben1979
    Free Member

No problems as yet after a year of hard riding on mine. im 90kg riding a 120mm FS. Worst they have been out is around 0.5mm on the rear.
    My EX500s seem go out of true easier

P20

355s for about 4yrs and crests for about 18months. No problems but I’ve not done 5ft drops. I’d think you’d need the arch/flow

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How tough are stan crest rims?’ is closed to new replies.