Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How tough are Black Chili Rubber Queens?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just fitted some 2.2s (which look tiny in comparison to my 2.4 chunky monkeys 🙁 ) How tough are the side walls?

banks
    Free Member

tough, 3000 miles almost entirely in the peaks and still going.

Hooter
    Free Member

Indeed plenty tough enough. Very happy with mine. Based on these and previous similar high-end Conti tyres, you don’t need to worry about the side walls.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Done loads of Alpine trips on mine with no issues. Last October was a brutal week of rocky Sierra Nevada’s, no issues at all. (these are proper UST though)

creamegg
    Free Member

happy with mine too (mainly welsh natural trails)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rob – great all round tyre, last forever from memory! just a bit sluggish for me in the summer months (only out on back mind)

duir
    Free Member

2.2 UST version rear lasted me half a day in the Lakes before the sidewall slit. I am a big lad on a 160mm bike and was giving it some on a very rough descent. Some people seem to have no bother, I didn’t like them, the ripped too easily and had crap traction in the wet.

Northwind

I never had any problems but I think after I sold them that the sidewalls failed on the next guy (sorry!). Certainly tougher than they feel, with the floppy sidewalls.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Was getting really impressed with my 2.2 UST one – it was just startting to show signs of wear after 9 months of Peaks riding and a week in Molini, on my Rocket. I did burp it a couple of times, but nothing fatal.

Then I was a bit lazy on a smallish drop off (3′, maybe) and landed a bit hefty on the front wheel and bent the carcass by the best part of 3/4 inch. It was a very strange ride home…

darrenspink
    Free Member

rob – great all round tyre, last forever from memory! just a bit sluggish for me in the summer months (only out on back mind)

Having come from a rocket ron (back) and nobby nic (front) I haven’t actually noticed a massive difference. This could be due to the extra size beefing my wheel size up to 27 and giving me a bit more roll. Great tyre, very predictable.

swanny853

Race light or protection model?

ali69er
    Free Member

Really interested in these, my Bonty XR3s are a bit stetchy and like the idea of the BCRQ but they don’t have cost.

Are the UST ones worth it over the general tubeless ready ones like the Pro-Protection?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve run RQ’s for 5 years, my fav tyre for big stuff (rocky Alpine). The UST’s are heavier obviously but they are pretty tough IMO.

I like the predictable grip in most conditions. A 2.4 run at low pressure is awesome.

jonnyblease
    Free Member

I really like this tyre but in answer to your question I don’t think they are that tough as I’ve also ripped a sidewall.

I run a 2.2 on the back of my trail bike. Good grip, roll well but can slide it around when I want to. Not sure I’d run one on the front in the winter though, it’s definitely not as grippy as the 2.3 Baron I run on the front.

honourablegeorge

Sidewalls deformed on mine, to the extent that the tyres wouldn’t spin in the frame

chiefgrooveguru

Depending on who you ask they vary from tissue paper sidewalls to bombproof!

However the caveat is that the UST ones are much tougher than the standard ones. The Protection ones are also much tougher than the standard ones – and I suspect tougher than the UST ones in rocky areas because they’re much less flexible in the sidewalls.

There were quite a lot of deformation issues – but I don’t know if that is a permanent problem or is an old QC problem that is now fixed. Has anyone deformed one of the new Protection ones? (Whose origin coincided the name change to ‘Trail King’)

fathomer

Do they go up tubeless easily? Sure I’ve read they can be a bit of pain, would probably be the protection ones.

richwales

My ust on the rear has deformed after a cornering burp type incident. Looks like a big buckle in the wheel. 32psi Stan’s arch. Only 5 rides old. Common (1 in 20) problem apparently

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member
    I’ve run RQ’s for 5 years, my fav tyre for big stuff (rocky Alpine)…..

I like the predictable grip in most conditions. A 2.4 run at low pressure is awesome.

Agreed in full!

Swapped to a 2.2″ on the rear recently, after wearing out the 2.4″. Seems to run very well so far, with no real loss of ‘bigness’, still love the 2.4″ on the front.

torihada
    Free Member

richwales – Member

My ust on the rear has deformed after a cornering burp type incident. Looks like a big buckle in the wheel. 32psi Stan’s arch. Only 5 rides old. Common (1 in 20) problem apparently

I dinged the bead on my rear UST RBQ. It now longer holds air (tubeless) stans milk blows out, so its now tubed. I’ve also burped RBQs of Mavic 819s thrice now. I really liked the RBQs but after hearing stories of deformation (see Jedi’s latest video blog) I’m considering something else for the Alps this summer, but don’t know what yet:

chris85
    Free Member

duir – Member 
    2.2 UST version rear lasted me half a day in the Lakes before the sidewall slit. I am a big lad on a 160mm bike and was giving it some on a very rough descent. Some people seem to have no bother, I didn’t like them, the ripped too easily and had crap traction in the wet.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah, happened to mine too, shame cos they are a good grip, let down by tissue paper sidewalls, probably be ok though for just Xc, just don’t hammer them too hard on the descents.

cnud
    Free Member

I’ve deformed 1 tubeless ready protection and 2 ust rubber queens, all new tyres, all on the rear, all after a drop. Love the tyre but not at the risk of ruining a ride. Not had any such issues with any other manufacturer.

banks
    Free Member

For all those who have deformed the UST tyres i’ve had all mine replaced under warranty : )

richwales

banks – Member
    For all those who have deformed the UST tyres i’ve had all mine replaced under warranty : )

NextDay Tyres replacing mine – good service

generallevi
    Free Member

Great tyre for grip and relatively fast rolling but that’s where the praise ends. Ripped the sidewall open on stage 12 of the 2013 Trans Provence and had to ride the rest of the stage on the rim….. ;( Luckily had Mavic support at the finish so managed to get the wheel re-trued.

This particular stage was relatively chilled compared to many of them and I still managed to come unstuck. I would hate to think what would happen if you rode this tyre down something really rocky like the Garburn Pass or the Castle Craggs descent on the Borrowdale Bash. Oh, in fact I already know as I sat helping my brother for an hour trying to sort what was left of both his 2.2 RQ Black Chilli’s last weekend next to Derwent Water 😉

Steer clear mate and buy a crossmax charge…..

All the best,
    Lee.

wl
    Free Member

Good in Calderdale where the rocks are generally greasy and rounded, crap in the Lakes on sharp slate and square-edged hits – they were still grippy but I had endless pinch flats so I swapped to a Baron on the back.

justme
    Free Member

seem to be a constant source of trouble unless you wiegh next to nowt and ride light – rossendale, lakes and alps trips they have been a nuisance g

rob-jackson
    Free Member

seems i will end up going back to chunky monkeys 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the answer is not – grazed a rock and psssssssssssssssssssssssss

chris85
    Free Member

Which tyre Rob?, are you using them with tubes or going tubeless?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How tough are Black Chili Rubber Queens?’ is closed to new replies.