Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • How to wreck a brand new Turner Frame (Thanks CRC shipping department…..)
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

Been running Kasmina fox 34s all this year on my hardtail. No issues at all with stiction. Just serviced them last week and they are in perfect condition after a pretty tough year. Not heard much real world experience with the Hilos yet.

Lee, sounds like you’re a man with similar tastes to me!

davosaurusrex

Maybe it was the newer CTD jobs that have the problems? Either way that does sound like a cracking build, post pics when it’s built

generallevi
    Free Member

I would be if I could find this hidden gems! 😉

Been coming to the Portrs Du Soleil for 7 years now and the most epic day with the exception of the passportes if you classing distance is Morzine to Lavey La Bain Health Spar In Switzerland. That is a great feeling to arrive there and then take advantage of the lasy river 🙂

If you know anymore wilderness trails for this summers trip then I’m all ears, especially since me and the missus are getting married in Morzine in August…….

oliverd1981
    Free Member

me and the missus are getting married in Morzine in August…..

Just out of interest who are you using for this – sorry for the hijack. I thought Weddings in France were tricky to setup?

normski
    Free Member

Whilst it gutting to see a frame with a damaged headtube like that its not un-useable. That damage could be easily and safely tapped out with a blunt drift and the headtube chased out with a cutting tool. Obviously a job for a pro mechanic but still do-able.
    This damaged frame is now going to be a nightmare both in time and £££££ for Chainreaction so you might actually be in a position to get £200-300 off the price and get it repaired.
    If its the last frame available and you’ve planned your bike build around the colour etc then might be worthwhile seeing what they can do in terms of discount.
    Sure its a kick in the balls when a frame arrives damaged but you could be smiling if you get a few hundred quid back.
    The frame is useless to them if they have it back.
    Good luck!

normski
    Free Member

Edit: Just read (all 3 pages) the previous posts and seen you’d got it sorted.
    Splendid

generallevi
    Free Member

Don’t get me started Oliver!

It is a lot trickier then I thought after proposing at the Chapelle Jacourt ride overlooking Mt Blanc last year. We are using a lovely place called the ‘farmhouse’ http://www.thefarmhouse.co.uk to host the wedding, however hiring a local celebrant is tricky and the local priest speaks little English.

Another thing is that unless you can prove that you live there for 40 days a year then you need to get legally married in the UK first before the French Government will allow you to get married over there!

Epic! Still, super excited and would not change it for the world. Why? You thinking of popping the question? 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m already engaged (Lake Garda , Last summer)

I’ve seen some really nice chalets we could get for our friends for the week for about a 10% of the cost of a regular wedding back home. I wonder if we can just get somebody internet ordained and quietly do a quick ceremony on the steps of the little chapel in the middle of Chatel bike park one evening (and back it up at the registry office once we get home, obviously)

Schweiz
    Free Member

Well, good things come to those who wait. 10 days after I received the damaged frame, I finished the build and it’s ready to ride. CRC did a great job and I’m fully satisfied with their response. If you ever get to deal with Chris then you are in good hands.

It weighs in at 12.9kg. Not bad for an XL 29er AM build with Reverb.

Turner Sultan 2012 XL
    RP23 Kashima
    Revelation RC3 140mm
    XX1 groupset
    XT brakes (203/180)
    Truative Ceramic GXP BB
    King Headset
    Easton Haven 50mm stem (35mm clamp diameter)
    Easton Haven carbon bars (800mm)
    Light Bicycle AM rims laced to Hope Pro2 Evos (built up very nicely – so stiff!)
    Ardent 2.4s
    2012 Reverb

Not a good day for photos but:

robgclarkson
    Free Member

looking good… how you liking XX1?

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’m coming from 2×10 XT on most of the other bikes. Action is typical SRAM – very positive. Chain retention seems rock solid. Shifting is slightly “clunky” but very accurate, probably due to the taller teeth. I’m happy. Got a 32T ring on at the moment. I climb a lot of big mountains so I may drop down a size for the summer.

Just need to finalise the stem stack, trim the steerer and I’m good to go!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

‘Tis ia good weight that. Mine is only a large and is heavier already, but its spec is not half as trick.

iain1775
    Free Member

Very nice
    How’s it ride?

Schweiz
    Free Member

It handles the rigours of the road outside my house with the utmost ease. Currently sitting on an aeroplane so the real ride report will have to wait for a few days.

DanW
    Free Member

Pics of the new box!

Oh and the bike looks alright too 😀

davosaurusrex

Son of a biscuit! Mine weighs 32lb dead! I would like to get it closer to 30, our builds have some similarities, both XL, same forks, reverbs, King headsets etc.
    I’m running Hope M4s with 203/183 floating rotors which aren’t light but I didn’t think XTs were that light either?
    I’ve got 2.35 Hans Dampfs, again not light but not that much difference with Ardent 2.4s? I’m running tubes for what it’s worth.
    Biggest differences I can see are rims (Pacenti TL28s vs Light Bicycle CF) and obviously the XX1 compared to my XT triple set up. Over 3.5lbs still seems a lot though or am I missing something? Carbon bars? Saddle?
    Looks cracking BTW!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought about those rims but the weight limit is 95 kgs and I’m a bit too close to the limit for that!

Over mine, there’s about 150g saved in the rims, 200g in the tyres (I have dampfs too), 180g in the bars. You loose 120g with a bigger frame and a fair chunk due to the reverb (circa 300g), so the rest must be in the group set. I’ve no idea how much lighter 1×10 xx1 is versus the 2×10 xt/slx mix that I have, but it has to be a fair chunk.

Slogo
    Free Member

Im so glad this has all been sorted!
    Im sure the guys in the warehouse on minimum wage have to hit so many picks and packages an hour. so grabbing a frame and dumping it into a box is nothing to them.

Love the bike looks awesome! the havoc stem is very lairy! I looked at the turner but bought the commencal meta AM 29 instead.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Tubeless with no rimtape (just one round of duct tape), 125g Selle Carbonio SLR saddle, shorter reverb post, the Havoc stuff is pretty light as well. Pleased with where the weight came out but not really that bothered about it. Been riding a 17kg fatbike for the last few months.

Seems like we have a mini STW sultan owners club here!

davosaurusrex

Convoy!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It does! I’m really pleased with mine – it seemed nice tootling around but I’d not really had a chance to use it in anger until recently and I’m very happy with its performance under duress. Lighter would be nicer for the all-day rides, but without throwing a fair bit more money at it I won’t see much return over what I have, which isn’t a bad spec anyway.

Frankers
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike Schweiz, how tall are you if you don’t mind me asking

Schweiz
    Free Member

Frankers – I’m 191cm (6’3″), shorter legs and longer body. The XL fits well with the 50mm stem but if I was <189cm then I would drop to an L.

I did manage a jet-lagged spin last night on very icy trails – will wait for better conditions before giving the full ride report but feels very capable, light, agile and surprisingly slack with the 140mm fork.

nuke

Thread resurrection 😀 …

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/turner-sultan-dw-frame-cosmetic-damage-2012/rp-prod111128

Wondering if this was the damaged frame? Mentions HT damage but no mention of dropout. Given the bargain Turner frames were last year, its probably on for more than Schweiz paid for it in perfect condition!

campkoala
    Free Member

sounds like a bargain if you like that sort of frame.
    headtube repairs are not cheap.
    had almost exactly the same damage repaired to an intense frame damaged in shipping from the US by argos cycles here. frame was fine afterwards (for a frame welded by ‘mercan stoners)

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How to wreck a brand new Turner Frame (Thanks CRC shipping department…..)’ is closed to new replies.